Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: You Only Build Once  (Read 19193 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Only Build Once
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2014, 04:57:45 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater. Zero tribute reduction for me. Munchkinus died.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10295

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rule #9 Give Beekus the finger. Beekus sad finger gone. Find Beekus and give Beekus finger. Any finger do. Beekus can't give Beekus finger - too confusing. Player give Beekus finger get pardon for rule breaking! (valid for one rule breaking occasion only).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:05:34 pm by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 11:11:43 am »

I think the crazy rules have scared away the other players :P.

For some clarity here:  Beekus has already claimed (twice) a site.  Does rule #1 imply that at the start of every turn I need to have him claim the site again, or would the first time Ihe claimed the site be sufficient for the life of the character?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:14:52 am by Tacomagic »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2014, 11:13:28 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Possibly. Believe me I had some much crazier rules in mind, but I restrained myself.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:39:13 am by ptb_ptb »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:22 am »

Possibly. Believe me I had some much crazier rules in mind, but I restrained myself.

I know what you mean.  I had a bunch of really out-there rules in mind; but I shelved those for later once I saw how the Tribute rule made everyone back-off.

In retrospect, that rule does kinda make it hard for newer players to join in because it mandates that a player know how to build wealth quickly... and even when you know how to do that, sometimes you're scewed anyway (as evinced by my first turn*).

Granted, any player is allowed to remove a rule, so I guess it's not an insurmountable issue if somebody wanted to oust it.

*I have no idea why I didn't bring raw ore and coal with me when I made that rule.  10 chunks of ore and 2 chunks of  bituminous coal would have set me up for the first tribue within a month.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:24:58 am by Tacomagic »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 11:26:26 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

*I have no idea why I didn't bring raw ore and coal with me when I made that rule.  10 chunks of ore and 2 chunks of  bituminous coal would have set me up for the first tribue within a month.

You would probably have found that you couldn't bring IRON ore. I don't think any dwarf site on the map has iron ore, so it isn't available for embark. Although it _is_ available from trading caravans - especially if you ask for it.

[EDIT] Anyway, are you still in? Or are you waiting to see if someone else will take a turn?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:39:04 am by ptb_ptb »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:37 am »

[EDIT] Anyway, are you still in? Or are you waiting to see if someone else will take a turn?

I'm waiting to see if anyone else takes a turn for now; got a busy holiday week so I'm going to hold off doing anything else likely until the new-year.  Plus, the last 6 turns have been just you and me passing the game back and forth, so it'd be nice to get a few others in here.

We migh benefit from having a turn order or some other turn-structure so we know when somebody has the game checked-out, so if I get some time in the next few days, I may do some more training on Beekus just to get that started.  I'm sure that if we can remove that uncertainty, it'd make the game a little more accessible.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 11:38:32 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Eh, I don't know. If we have 2 (two) active players and a rule against the same player taking two turns in a row, the turn order is pretty straightforwards isn't it? :P

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 12:34:06 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Eh, I don't know. If we have 2 (two) active players and a rule against the same player taking two turns in a row, the turn order is pretty straightforwards isn't it? :P

True, but I was hoping to encourage a few more to join in  ;).

Mostly, without any "check-out" rule, there's no way to know if anyone is currently playing the save (especailly if the download count on the save is something other than 0).  That might create some unease with the thought that your turn could be inavlidated if somebody ninjas ahead of your post.  My first turn was a bit like that; I did it quickly and late at night to reduce the possibility of being ninja'd.  With just 2 players, no problems, with more players the free-for-all aspect could create some issues.

I was thinking of maybe mandating check out.  You announce you're downloading and have 48 hours to do your turn or some such.  That way everyone knows who's running with the save and we don't end up playing over the top of anyone.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2014, 12:37:16 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

I think if you just post "I'm taking the next turn" in the thread that should be enough.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2014, 02:11:16 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

I think if you just post "I'm taking the next turn" in the thread that should be enough.

Indeed, and I've been trying to do that from my second turn onward.  However, it's not a rule that we need to post such notifications, so a prospective overseer could just as easily download the save, play their turn, and post it up without any indication that they are doing so (that's what I did for my first turn because I misconstrued the original ruleset as specifically excluding claiming the save for a turn).  The issue arrises if somebody else is playing a turn in the meantime.  Doubly so if they likewise did not announce their intention.

Since I did that very thing, I think it would be likely enough situation to happen if more people show up wanting to play.  Whether it's preventing people from joining the game right now?  Probably not, but it couldn't hurt having a plainly spelled out rule for save claiming.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 02:15:50 pm »

Probably not, but it couldn't hurt having a plainly spelled out rule for save claiming.

Not to be redundant, but if you want that rule, take a turn and MAKE THE RULE. :P

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »

Probably not, but it couldn't hurt having a plainly spelled out rule for save claiming.

Not to be redundant, but if you want that rule, take a turn and MAKE THE RULE. :P

To quote myself:

We migh benefit from having a turn order or some other turn-structure so we know when somebody has the game checked-out, so if I get some time in the next few days, I may do some more training on Beekus just to get that started.

My intent was to potentially take a turn for Beekus training and introduce the rule then, time permitting, anyway.   Was just thinking "out loud" to see what felt good to use as a rule and invite feedback.  A check-out option with a 48 hour timer is still what I'm thinking about, though 72 also strikes me as a good time-frame.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 05:44:43 pm »

I think you guys need some more open thinking rules. Currently working on another fort atm. I have a few ideas to spruce things up, i like to make rules. Works well with drinking usually.

roflmao, i just looked at how i was typing, then i remembered i just read that munchkinus which spoke in exactly the same manner of very short sharp sentences.

Anyway, we're looking at possibly next weekend.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2014, 12:01:24 am »

I'm still following this fort BTW, I've just encoutered various real-life time sinks and have been waiting for a chance to write something worthwhile.

How would you fine denizens feel about a rule along the lines of, "If you can make the first year's tribute you gain the ability to strike down one previous turn's rule?"

I think something like that would help with rule-creep and let us prevent the more. . . convoluted rules from preventing !!FUN!!. I think the tribute rule itself would be exempt, to prevent self-destruction etc.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2014, 12:33:44 am »

I'm still following this fort BTW, I've just encoutered various real-life time sinks and have been waiting for a chance to write something worthwhile.

How would you fine denizens feel about a rule along the lines of, "If you can make the first year's tribute you gain the ability to strike down one previous turn's rule?"

I think something like that would help with rule-creep and let us prevent the more. . . convoluted rules from preventing !!FUN!!. I think the tribute rule itself would be exempt, to prevent self-destruction etc.

Mmm, that might be bit easy, especially if you pro-rate it like we've been doing and/or have a great Kobold.  I'd say something more like "you can make a single tribute of X amount during any turn to remove a rule" or something of that nature.  Either that, or maybe if you can get a fort up through the end of the 3rd year paying all 3 tributes?

Alternately, you could go the epic equipment rout: Anyone who creates at least 1 piece of masterwork adamantine equipment during their turn gets to remove a rule of choice if desired.

Aside from that, you're always allowed to remove a rule during your turn instead of create one.  There's actually a rule I've been thinking of burning a turn on removing, just have a few more things to flesh out.

Now, all that said, I got ahead in my holiday stuff and will have some time to play now.  I am downloading this evening and will post tomorrow around this time.  Actually, truth be told I downloaded an hour or so ago and am already deep into my turn already.  Just need another 24 hours to get as far as I want to get.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:39:55 am by Tacomagic »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9