Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 443514 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1035 on: July 25, 2016, 09:00:39 am »

Sorry if I seem pushy, but is anyone planning on setting up a server?

Just that I don't want to get through everything THEN find out that we're going to be having some multiplayer going on.
I'm looking into the possibility now. I have a shard to run the server on, just need to figure out how the dedicated server tool works

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1036 on: July 25, 2016, 09:43:31 am »

OK, I'm giving this another shot after a long break, and overall I think it turned out okay, at least for what I want to do. However, I HATE the mandatory mining facility quest and I'm super cheesed off that they kept that. Seems like almost anything else in the game can be reached by means other than combat, but in this case, they're like HAHAHA NOPE YOU GOTTA FIGHT YOUR WAY THROUGH ALL IN ONE SHOT AND YOU HAVE TO USE STARTING GEAR AND YOU CAN'T MINE OR USE ANY OF THE THINGS YOU NORMALLY USE LIKE SLEEPING BAGS TO RECOVER HEALTH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT.

So does anyone have any tips, for someone who is truly atrociously bad at combat and has no interest in practicing it, on getting through this quest? Any simple ways to cheese the combat without risk? I was using a gun but one of the monsters got past it and wound up destroying me before I could switch to my sword. I wouldn't mind the mandatory combat so much if the facility remembered your progress, and I could pick away at it slowly, go in, clear a few rooms, go take a rest, and return, but it seems to reset every single time. I am perfectly fine with cheating to make it possible to place items and mine, if someone knows how to do that. I'm fine with some fighting, but I'll never be able to make it any further into the game if I have to beat this quest the way they intend me to beat it, and the stuff I actually WANT to play is all gated by it. And I don't see any reason for this quest to even be in a sandbox game about exploration. I want to get to THAT part without having to spend many hours I don't have mastering a skill I don't care about to get through a quest which seems to be designed as a sort of EFF YOU to anyone who prefers casual exploration and building.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 25, 2016, 09:50:41 am »

Regarding the mining facility: I think there is now a respawn point in the bunk area just before the boss. Not 100% sure on that, though - I didn't test it, but there was a new thingybob in that room and the examine description made it sound awfully like a spawn point. Still requires you to make it through the facility (including a few of the tougher enemies), though.

Depending on whether or not you're playing single player (or hosting multiplayer, I guess?), you could also type in /admin in the chat. That'll make you invulnerable, and you can just turn it back off once you're past the area giving you trouble.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1038 on: July 25, 2016, 09:57:12 am »

Depending on whether or not you're playing single player (or hosting multiplayer, I guess?), you could also type in /admin in the chat. That'll make you invulnerable, and you can just turn it back off once you're past the area giving you trouble.

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed. I'm playing single player, just want to get past this and on to the more interesting stuff. I'm literally dying just a few rooms into the facility, over and over again, and it's too frustrating to be worth playing. I truly can't comprehend what made the devs decide to do it this way, especially since they went to the trouble of making a non-combat option for getting the core shards on the starting planet. If it were possible to somehow upgrade your armor and weapon before doing it, even if it were super crazy grindy to do so, I would be satisfied, but the whole "nah, screw 'em, make everyone do it my way" approach really puts me off. I can't even get the hang of switching between items on the hotbar, so trying to swap between weapons and healing is just too complicated for me. I'd have to practice for ages, and since I don't plan to play that way overall, it's just a waste of a lot of time. I'd just play "casual", but farming and cooking and eating are one of my favorite parts.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 25, 2016, 10:00:02 am »

I was going to say do either something like this or use cheatengine.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1040 on: July 25, 2016, 10:09:57 am »

So does anyone have any tips, for someone who is truly atrociously bad at combat and has no interest in practicing it, on getting through this quest?
Get a buddy to help. I ran through it with 3 people. :P

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 25, 2016, 11:27:05 am »

How do you keep doing that in starting clothes? I'm already at iron gear and still not enough cores.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 25, 2016, 11:34:04 am »

A good thing to keep in mind if you absolutely loathe the mission - you don't actually have to fight anything. Bring some good shields and/or a twohander to block damage, a good supply of ropes and salves, and you can basically blitz through the whole damn thing without ever using your weapons for their intended purpose. The Horror is a puzzle boss, so no weapons needed there either.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 25, 2016, 11:46:17 am »

What I meant to say is how do you get enough cores before getting enough iron to outfit yourself?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 25, 2016, 11:59:16 am »

note to self: the game does not run without vc redist 2015, and said thing's installation can fail if it does not have its dependency SP1, which miiiight be a wee bit difficult to obtain for those with a certain type of windows OS.

the yarr kind.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 25, 2016, 12:05:15 pm »

What I meant to say is how do you get enough cores before getting enough iron to outfit yourself?

The starting planet has a mine with cores in all the crates laying around. If you're good at dodging you can just grab em on the run and be done with it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 25, 2016, 12:17:17 pm »

I only got like 14 in the mine. Is it a guaranteed 20 in there?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 25, 2016, 12:24:53 pm »

I only got like 14 in the mine. Is it a guaranteed 20 in there?
I got like 30 from the mine. The rooms after killing the boss were loaded with them.

----------

I started a new character, solo this time since when playing MP there was no time to read anything or figure anything out.

It's certainly different. I do like it, but there are a lot of things that bug me. Like the strange UI thing they've done. Or how they've removed features, biomes, etc. (Tentacle planet where?). I'm not sure if I like the current static monster list. I love the farming / colonist system as it's far more engaging than Terraria's... but I feel like everything else Terraria is better.

It does say something when even though I say that I did spend almost 20 hours yesterday just building colonies.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1048 on: July 25, 2016, 02:02:34 pm »

I need someone to test out the server I have up. PM me for details. If it works out I'll hand out the details via PM to anyone who asks but I'd rather not post them public for fear of griefers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1049 on: July 25, 2016, 02:36:57 pm »

I need someone to test out the server I have up. PM me for details. If it works out I'll hand out the details via PM to anyone who asks but I'd rather not post them public for fear of griefers.
I'll give it a stab.

I do have a couple of mods going, and I'm not sure how Starbound works. If there are clientside and serverside mods it should be fine, if not, well, guess I'll need to ditch them.
The server is unmodded so I guess we'll see. sending you details now
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 130