Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439253 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe/Rampaging Koala
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2015, 03:02:25 pm »

Hey, Hugo, what was the planet type that you found the prison on? I've searched like ten forest and desert worlds, as well as a few ice and volcanic.
Not a prison, a USCM military bunker. It was an arid world, I think.
I said I was looking for a prison back then and you said you were mining one...

My one lead to find a USCM penal colony amongst the five-or-so military bunkers I've already emptied is demolished, then.

I just want to murder the fuck out of a few prisoners and then depart.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2015, 04:52:56 pm »

Are you fucking kidding me? If I die during the erchius mining mission, I have to do the WHOLE FUCKING THING over again? The damn thing is already so tedious it makes mining through an entire planet's worth of dirt look fun and interesting. Here's a great idea: let's get a TON of enemies that can kill you in about 4 hits with attacks you can't really dodge, flood them into a massive dungeon that takes ages to get through, and then, if the player doesn't make it through alive, make them do it all over again! Don't give them back all the consumables they used the first time through, though. Wouldn't want it to get too easy.

Are they trying to make the game less fun? Is that their goal? Maximum tedium and frustration, minimum reward?

I think that's the line for me right there. I think I'm done for a while. If they ever get around to fixing all this crap, then great, but until then, I am done. I spent about an HOUR tiptoeing my way through that dungeon, picking enemies off slowly the the composite bow, using bandages and food when I got hit, creeping, crawling my way through, then BAM, I get hit by an enemy I didn't even realize was an enemy, and I'm back to square one. Nope. I'm not doing it again. This isn't a game anymore. It's work. And I'm not getting paid. And all this, just to earn the right to explore *any* new planets that aren't identical to the one I started on? Fuuuuuuuck that.
I gave this game another chance, but the bullshit dungeon protector and the fact that if you fail a mission you have to do it over again, makes want to be done with this.  I've noticed the same things as other players, all the planets are more or less the same now.  They've literally killed the exploration aspect of the game, ironically the foundation of the game.  I thought this was supposed to be a free-form, do what-ever you want type game, but there seems to be more and more rails.

Dungeon protection-half the fun in the game is finding the other way to defeat an obstacle.  The fact you can't tear apart some places is a immersion breaker for me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2015, 05:22:40 pm »

I'll admit, that really bugs me as well, because it's only an issue from the dev side. If a player doesn't want to sequence-break, nothing forces them to. This smacks of devs thinking "No, people are playing my game wrong!", which though reasonable in some cases, doesn't really mesh with a sandbox exploration game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2015, 05:32:50 pm »

maybe they never actually wanted to create a sandbox exploration game to begin with

maybe they just wanted to create terraria-in-space

terraria isn't exactly sandbox exploration game IIRC

more of an adventure game it was
._.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2015, 05:55:04 pm »

I gave this game another chance, but the bullshit dungeon protector and the fact that if you fail a mission you have to do it over again, makes want to be done with this.  I've noticed the same things as other players, all the planets are more or less the same now.  They've literally killed the exploration aspect of the game, ironically the foundation of the game.  I thought this was supposed to be a free-form, do what-ever you want type game, but there seems to be more and more rails.

Dungeon protection-half the fun in the game is finding the other way to defeat an obstacle.  The fact you can't tear apart some places is a immersion breaker for me.
I thought the dungeon protection was a generator, and if you wanted to destroy blocks, you just had to find the generator and shut it down?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2015, 06:03:06 pm »

Rather conspiracy-minded when things don't go our way, eh?

If you'll recall to several months back, one of the chief complaints was that the game lacked structure and felt empty in terms of progress and achievements. Chances are, this new, more linear system of quests and missions is in part a tentative response to that complaint.

The game was never meant to be a completely non-linear sandbox. From the get-go, the devs were talking about a quest-oriented, plot-driven game (bosses and gathering to "summon" them were substitutes, remember) that gave players the latitude to build, explore, adventure, and loot to their hearts' content. Since then, they've certainly expanded on that concept and shown a remarkable degree of flexibility and willingness to accommodate different player interests.

Some of you who have complained about their not taking player criticisms to heart, have neglected to consider that not all of these criticisms have been relevant to their initial goals. And why should they? Who expects a self-avowed all-American burger joint to serve Indian curry...?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:05:56 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2015, 08:05:23 pm »

I hope that that wasn't in response to complaints about decreasing player freedom and RNG content diversity. Though I rather doubt that those changes were intentional; I'm in the camp that thinks they're part of the ongoing reworks.

Also: Even with a highly linear sequence of quests (which seems counterproductive when set in a massive randomly generated galaxy, why should that necessitate reducing content? If they'd wanted to make a JRPG platformer, they could have. Instead they made a freeform sandbox adventure/construction platformer with vague promises of randomly generated missions in the future and a bare-bones framework for equipment progression tied to set-piece fights (which have nothing to do with the terrain &c. except in terms of how different planetary conditions affect the way you fight).

3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2015, 09:21:33 pm »

I thought the dungeon protection was a generator, and if you wanted to destroy blocks, you just had to find the generator and shut it down?

The generator is always at the end of the maze, in the small Apex Labs it can only be accessed by climbing from the bottom up, in the Apex mazes it's near the maze entrance but locked between doors that I assume must be activated from the end of the maze.

IMO some of the changes suck, but some make the game a bit more entertaining after you finish all the Mandatory Railroaded Quests. The progression feels less broken now... but WAY too "guided" still.

Anyway, since I started writing down the planets I explore, I may as well post this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't forget that you can delete a planet from the Universe folder so it generates again and you can loot it over and over. Useful if you want to fill up on Blank Tech Cards ;) However, two Tech in the same System is kinda generous alreay.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:03:25 pm by Sergius »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2015, 02:29:45 pm »

Don't forget that you can delete a planet from the Universe folder so it generates again and you can loot it over and over. Useful if you want to fill up on Blank Tech Cards ;) However, two Tech in the same System is kinda generous alreay.
Don't forget you can edit your inventory and just spawn anything and everything you might need.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2015, 04:45:58 pm »

Besides, if that spreadsheet of exploration finds still exists, you can just use that if you really want to.

3. Run Resize Enable

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2015, 07:50:03 pm »

The newest blog post addresses pretty much all of the issues I currently have with the game. I appreciate that they're acknowledging where their design needs to head. Not sure what I think about the automatic teleportation between bases, unless you're required to set up some sort of equipment on the planet to support it. (A teleporter block would be kind of cool.)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2015, 08:38:27 pm »

Hopefully it'll be stargate style.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2015, 08:39:06 pm »

The newest blog post addresses pretty much all of the issues I currently have with the game. I appreciate that they're acknowledging where their design needs to head. Not sure what I think about the automatic teleportation between bases, unless you're required to set up some sort of equipment on the planet to support it. (A teleporter block would be kind of cool.)
Awesome, looks like they are fixing a lot of everyone's complaints.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2015, 09:07:31 pm »

SORT OF... unless you read it carefully.

Mining taking too long? Don't worry we will give you plenty of interruptions!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2015, 09:10:03 pm »

SORT OF... unless you read it carefully.

Mining taking too long? Don't worry we will give you plenty of interruptions!

Your always such a pessimist   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 130