Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441138 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe/Rampaging Koala
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2015, 02:05:05 am »

I think they're referring to the rather limited selection of animal parts. There's like two variables in animal body shape that ultimately leads to there being like only 100 or so unique variations each of small quadruped, small biped, large quadruped, large biped, birb, big-ass bird, fish, and hell-coelocanth.

Ohh whoops that makes 4 animals, 2 birds, and 2 fish.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2015, 02:17:30 am »

The problem's not so much in the general body shapes, though. It's the limited supply of unique heads and bodies.

You see the large biped which I shall name "frilly pink bleating asshole" on planet one and then on planet seven, you see frilly pink bleating asshole again, although maybe its head is a different shade of pink this time.

And eventually on the futile quest for a stone uscm prison sign so you can get a bigger fucking ship already, you've run into frilly pink bleating asshole on like fifty different planets.
Doesn't matter that there are only four varieties of terrestrial animal; it matters that everywhere you go is frilly pink bleating asshole.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2015, 03:00:56 am »

Yeah, in the past, the animals all had a vaguely pokemon-ish look to them, but I swear there was a lot more variety. Now, every planet I've been on has exactly one fat bear (aggressive), one armored dog (passive), and one tan hulking lummox with Carrot Top's hair (aggressive). I had assumed that this was somehow intentional, but it's just silly.

The bigger problem, however, is the planets themselves. Gone is the feeling of "oh, what will this planet look like?" Because every single planet in this system looks exactly the fucking same. There's not even any reason to visit more than one forest planet, really, because they have the same trees, same grass, same everything. So far, they've all even had the same "place of interest" - a boring dumb o'l mine shaft.

A procedurally generated universe with billions of planets to explore, and I'm *bored* because there's no longer anything to explore. What on earth would possess Chucklefish to remove the most interesting and unique parts of the game? Did they sit around going, "I sure do hate how our players enjoy roaming around the universe, finding new and interesting planets. We should just get rid of that."?

I'm not opposed to adding anything to the game that will make it more fun or interesting for anyone. If some people want more missions, give 'em more missions. If some people want more dangerous places to explore, give 'em those dangerous places. If some people want to do a lot of mining, then by all means, put in some kind of reward for mining. But if other people want to farm, cook, build, and explore, why the hell would you take something *out* of the game that those groups of people have always enjoyed? Making the game more fun for one type of player should not at all mean making it less fun for another group. There's just no reason for it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2015, 03:10:54 am »

My guess?

They removed its functionality because they are redoing it.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2015, 03:23:37 am »

The lush planets only have mineshafts and mineshafts only appear on lush planets.

Forests are different because reasons/
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2015, 03:45:40 am »

Hey, Hugo, what was the planet type that you found the prison on? I've searched like ten forest and desert worlds, as well as a few ice and volcanic.
Not a prison, a USCM military bunker. It was an arid world, I think.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2015, 04:38:16 am »

My guess?

They removed its functionality because they are redoing it.

This is my guess as well. They've been gutting/rebuilding systems left and right every time I've checked back on the game over the past several months.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2015, 04:54:57 am »

The lush planets only have mineshafts and mineshafts only appear on lush planets.

Forests are different because reasons/

The difficulty settings are also uniformly lower for lush worlds- they're intended as potential starting planets, hence each one being more or less a carbon copy.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2015, 06:46:51 am »

Are you fucking kidding me? If I die during the erchius mining mission, I have to do the WHOLE FUCKING THING over again? The damn thing is already so tedious it makes mining through an entire planet's worth of dirt look fun and interesting. Here's a great idea: let's get a TON of enemies that can kill you in about 4 hits with attacks you can't really dodge, flood them into a massive dungeon that takes ages to get through, and then, if the player doesn't make it through alive, make them do it all over again! Don't give them back all the consumables they used the first time through, though. Wouldn't want it to get too easy.

Are they trying to make the game less fun? Is that their goal? Maximum tedium and frustration, minimum reward?

I think that's the line for me right there. I think I'm done for a while. If they ever get around to fixing all this crap, then great, but until then, I am done. I spent about an HOUR tiptoeing my way through that dungeon, picking enemies off slowly the the composite bow, using bandages and food when I got hit, creeping, crawling my way through, then BAM, I get hit by an enemy I didn't even realize was an enemy, and I'm back to square one. Nope. I'm not doing it again. This isn't a game anymore. It's work. And I'm not getting paid. And all this, just to earn the right to explore *any* new planets that aren't identical to the one I started on? Fuuuuuuuck that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2015, 07:11:13 am »

If I die during the erchius mining mission, I have to do the WHOLE FUCKING THING over again?

This surprises you? The UFO boss was one huge troll "Ha ha you didn't think that would happen did you?".

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:45 am »

A procedurally generated universe with billions of planets to explore, and I'm *bored* because there's no longer anything to explore. What on earth would possess Chucklefish to remove the most interesting and unique parts of the game? Did they sit around going, "I sure do hate how our players enjoy roaming around the universe, finding new and interesting planets. We should just get rid of that."?

I think this honestly is exactly what has happened, considering their history of trolling their fanbase, the constant blame laid upon us for every little thing.  Fast shitty updates, it's the players fault.  No updates for a year, that's also the players fault.  Players fault we did horsetits.  Players fault we took out horsetits and trolled them with a "fake" poll.  It's always the players fault with these guys so it really shouldn't be surprising that they continue making the game progressively worse and worse and less fun.  They got what they wanted out of it...not only our money, but publishing deals with other people more capable of making games...so Tiyuri is assured to keep making money, even if this company crashes.  He'll be getting royalty cheques for years.

It should be most telling they're pretty much done with this game by the fact they not only started publishing other titles, but they went on to start an entirely new game without even finishing the first.  I mean honestly, once you already have the money, what's the incentive to continue working on the product?  That's pretty much the message I got when Tiy said "We could release right now as 1.0" and "Look at all the positive reviews we got when we first released."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2015, 09:35:49 am »

Remember, this can already be considered a finished game. In fact, according to Chuckefish, we're probably at the first addon already, what with Nova Kids being added and all.
._.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2015, 12:47:06 pm »

Chucklefish is not actively trying to make the game worse so they can troll the players. If they gave that few craps, they wouldn't be working on it at all.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2015, 02:34:09 pm »

Remember, this can already be considered a finished game. In fact, according to Chuckefish, we're probably at the first addon already, what with Nova Kids being added and all.
Yeaaah no.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2015, 02:57:31 pm »

Sarcasm: does not translate properly over the internet.

This version feels more complete than the stable one (though I would certainly not say 1.0 worthy) as the progression system was really bare bones before now, but on starting a couple new characters (to see new beginnings) I must admit the beginning portion feels really confining right now.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 130