Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441151 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2015, 09:14:49 am »

I just want to explore and find stuff and build stuff. In the previous version of the game, you could do that. I did it for hours and hours and hours and I had a great time. I cheesed the bosses, mined through the harder planets to avoid having to fight too much, made the best equipment, and cruised around the universe discovering fun stuff and building sweet houses. Now I can't do that. Now it's only a linear fighting game with some procedural elements. My sandbox game is gone. And they wouldn't even let me disable updates... I thought maybe I could just keep the old version and play that, but it updated automatically. : ( The game I enjoyed is gone. I don't suppose there's any way to get the previous version now?

If you absolutely detest the mission and will do anything to get past it, use the /admin command to give yourself admin rights. That makes you invulnerable among other things. Just walk through the whole thing and be back on your way. Remember to turn admin mode off afterwards (same command, it's a toggle) because it does a lot of other things too. That's your only option until alternative progress routes are added.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #331 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:19 am »

I just want to explore and find stuff and build stuff. In the previous version of the game, you could do that. I did it for hours and hours and hours and I had a great time. I cheesed the bosses, mined through the harder planets to avoid having to fight too much, made the best equipment, and cruised around the universe discovering fun stuff and building sweet houses. Now I can't do that. Now it's only a linear fighting game with some procedural elements. My sandbox game is gone. And they wouldn't even let me disable updates... I thought maybe I could just keep the old version and play that, but it updated automatically. : ( The game I enjoyed is gone. I don't suppose there's any way to get the previous version now?

If you absolutely detest the mission and will do anything to get past it, use the /admin command to give yourself admin rights. That makes you invulnerable among other things. Just walk through the whole thing and be back on your way. Remember to turn admin mode off afterwards (same command, it's a toggle) because it does a lot of other things too. That's your only option until alternative progress routes are added.

That is a good thing to know about. Thank you. Maybe I'll give it another try after all, just skipping the missions and hoping that some day they actually do add in the alternate routes...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2015, 10:04:46 am »

Sorry if this has been covered already, but is Starbound worth buying after this latest update? I admit that I pirated starbound back a few months after it was first released. I liked a lot of the ambiance/visuals and the core idea behind it, but there wasn't much actual content there... or really, much at all. You just sort of walked around, scavenged cool shit off the surface, and repeated that ten times over as you teleported down to different planets. Combat, monster gen, reasons to stay/thoroughly explore/mine on a planet were all disappointing or missing.

Would I be pleasantly surprised, or is development just moving too slow?

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 29, 2015, 10:21:38 am »

Anyone else having framerate issues?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2015, 11:48:17 am »

Anyone knows a mod that tweaks the 3D printer?
I've restarted and raided an Apex base and since I'm running out of storage I would just like to scan the items and forgot about them. However for some stupid reason scanning items (not just creating) costs pixels which I obviously don't have a lot of at the start.

Anyone else having framerate issues?
I'm also having some really terrible frame problems. It happens, not surprisingly, in heavily populated areas like bases and the space station. I didn't get this sort of FPS drop last time I played but switching over to opengl seemed to help a little.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »

I'm seconding Sappho on disliking the first mission, but I don't think the difficulty is the main problem, I think that it has to do with how unremittingly dark the complex is.  I can handle the enemies fine as long as I can see where they are, but if they're moving around in the dark, they immediately become more of a headache.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 29, 2015, 04:31:25 pm »

I'm seconding Sappho on disliking the first mission, but I don't think the difficulty is the main problem, I think that it has to do with how unremittingly dark the complex is.  I can handle the enemies fine as long as I can see where they are, but if they're moving around in the dark, they immediately become more of a headache.
There are consoles around the place that turn some of the lights on.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2015, 04:34:24 pm »

Some lights yes, but there are still large areas that are swathed in darkness or low light, I'd feel better about the mission if I had one tier higher weapons and armor (it's not the amount of damage one enemy can deal, its the amount two or more can deal before you can take steps to heal).

Edit:  There is a moon-type planet in my system, can I go there and mine the crystals I need?  And if so, does that break the quest line?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:36:09 pm by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:51 pm »

Hmm. The one thing I dislike is that the tech progression is tied to ship upgrades. As far as I can tell, that means that Build-Yer-Own-Ship mods will make it impossible for players to gain new techs, except perhaps if the unlocks persist after installing the mod and taking apart the default ship... in which case you 'only' have to progress through much of the game before adding the mod.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2015, 05:39:50 pm »

Edit:  There is a moon-type planet in my system, can I go there and mine the crystals I need?  And if so, does that break the quest line?

You can only find liquid Erchius in the moons, and pick it up with the upgraded manipulator, but the Crystals are exclusive to the quest (once finished they become available in that kiosk at the station).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2015, 05:41:17 pm »

Hmm. The one thing I dislike is that the tech progression is tied to ship upgrades. As far as I can tell, that means that Build-Yer-Own-Ship mods will make it impossible for players to gain new techs, except perhaps if the unlocks persist after installing the mod and taking apart the default ship... in which case you 'only' have to progress through much of the game before adding the mod.
Not just tech unlocks, the upgrades unlock further quests and later add a console to buy/manufacture NPC spawners, the pokeball machine, the fossil analyzer, and the pixel compressor, plus the holiday-themed workbenches.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 29, 2015, 05:50:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply Sergius, I went ahead and checked myself and that does appear to be the case.  I'm not happy that all of my ability to progress through the game is going to be tied to a frankly asinine 'mission'.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 29, 2015, 06:42:31 pm »

Not just tech unlocks, the upgrades unlock further quests and later add a console to buy/manufacture NPC spawners, the pokeball machine, the fossil analyzer, and the pixel compressor, plus the holiday-themed workbenches.
Damn. I mean, it's not as if any of those mods have updated for months, but it's still sad to see them killing the potential. Especially when the default ships are so gorram ugly. Though the consoles could probably be handled in the same way as the older ones were, by making them furniture objects. Might even be possible to set the custom ship to auto-unlock all techs and quests, which would be a bit gamey but better than the alternative, but I can't speak to whether it is.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:58:08 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 29, 2015, 06:53:17 pm »

Or, since that's all handled by the console accessed from the ship's computer anyway, you could still just complete the upgrade quests and unlock the tech through there without your ship physically changing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 29, 2015, 06:59:28 pm »

That'd depend on whether the ship upgrades would wipe your built ship and replace it with the expansion of the default one, I suppose. Unless they unlock new stuff without actually forcing you to enlarge the ship.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 130