Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441148 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW - Two and counting
« Reply #540 on: April 14, 2015, 10:50:57 pm »

Ehh, stupid rage, glad I didn't post anything more over there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:54:05 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #541 on: April 14, 2015, 11:38:20 pm »

I found the first boss... Doable. I beat it first try, but that was mostly because I had a great shield and about a million red stimpacks and bandages. The invisible laser thing was just dumb though...
And my little brother spent a couple hours on the moon base because he was trying to use two handed guns.

Second boss... I stood still and spammed a boulder staff. One shot all the minions, killed him easily. I never even had to walk, at least not past where he spawned. I even had to do it twice, because somehow the explosion when he died the first time killed me. Fair fight, right?

Third boss... The mech guy? Why wasn't there a boss for the third dungeon? Probably because the dungeon system stinks. Not that the "walk down hallway and one shot a few guys" is much better. The third dungeon was just my boulder staff too.

But I just used a shield and jumped. Easy.

But was it worth it? Nope. At least I could go to more than two planets (because the spawning system seems to carry over between characters, and my brother's mineshafts just happened to be where I spawned. Instant death anytime I tried to land on the others.)
Then there really wasn't anything to do once I got through the rest of the game... Just endless grinding or running across empty worlds over and over hoping to find a specific dungeon to grab some stupid trinket to trade for a beach ball, or a flute, or some other dumb reward. Sometimes they would give me weapons that dealt less damage then the stuff I used to beat the first boss, and the rewards never even had any special powers.

And also, despite playing for quite some time to complete the second set of quests (I quit after I saw the third) I never managed to find any weapon better than the "Smash Everything" that I crafted. Not that I need anything better, it 1-shots everything short of minibosses (which it 5-shots, last I checked)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 14, 2015, 11:46:23 pm »

Darkmere has pretty much hit the nail on the head. the CF Forums have pretty much been carefully cultivated that way. Especially when they banned people for what amounts to "falling for their trolls".

Honestly I pray that CF are not pioneers of a trend. Since "removing all decenters" is sort of something I see companies skirt towards.

---

Overall I think I prefer the magic armor the way the game is now.

I got the gun armor thinking it would... make me better at guns... Yet guns take so much energy and machine guns are so near useless... That the energy reserves of it is a far better option.

Have they stated something about fixing armor again recently?

Because currently the way defense works is kind of unacceptable.

I also used Psystaffs and they are... 'alright'. I find it unusual in concept that the entire specialized tree of "Psystaff user" is usually better off not using the psystaff. I do find it odd that the "Light" psystaff that has the description of only helping you see better is better than the "Crystal shot" psystaff (they both create a stationary continuous damage object that explodes).

In the end though, Psystaffs are just not that useful. The 4th boss though is a great target for them, and they are good at pegging enemies that are outside your vision. So they have some utility that I cannot deny. They just aren't going to be your go to weapon between guns and melee.

I wonder though what could make them better and I am between giving them multiple charges or giving them an alternate fire.

MIND YOU! Psystaffs are certainly the COOL option... and without cool being weak. (even a cool melee weapon, usually only does 1/5th of its damage when you hit with the cool)

---

Third boss... The mech guy? Why wasn't there a boss for the third dungeon? Probably because the dungeon system stinks. Not that the "walk down hallway and one shot a few guys" is much better

I just love it the third boss is SO unmemorable that most people don't even notice him.

He is the Gladiator and he has a "legendary weapon" but otherwise that is it.

What is funny is I thought the 4th boss was actually impressively difficult. Until I found out that his feint punch was just lag.

I do think they should alter certain aspects of him so you aren't as reliant on ranged melee weapons help you. I know you can feint the missiles, but giving them a shorter range would definitely make the boss more fun, so once you dodge them, they stay dodged.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:52:27 pm by Neonivek »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #543 on: April 15, 2015, 12:49:14 am »

I just love it the third boss is SO unmemorable that most people don't even notice him.
He is the Gladiator and he has a "legendary weapon" but otherwise that is it.
Wait, he was supposed to be the boss? I 1-shot him...
Maybe they made him easy because the dungeon was so long? They were probably just too lazy to make him interesting, so he is just a "strong" Floran. Boring!

Also, the poison planets were really disappointing. I mean, they are empty! Even the bottom of the poison sea doesn't have anything interesting in it... And the poison is completely negated by a red stimpack. The rain was blocked by a boat and a shield. Why is the poison so useless?
Same with molten lava worlds, I wish there was something interesting for exploring them. Nope, just a lava sea and a few islands.
The regular ocean worlds are much less empty.

Overall I think I prefer the magic armor the way the game is now.
Magic armour? I thought the armours were "Ranged, Balanced, Melee" ???

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 15, 2015, 12:53:05 am »

Stat wise they are

Energy, Balanced, and Armor.

But the Energy armor is Psistaff armor (AKA Magic), the Balanced is gun armor, and the armor is melee.

Also it is odd that the final level of guns are... bad... like, the green weapon I got two tiers ago is better then the constructed tier 6 guns for humans.

Psystaffs have a large advantage over other weapons to admit... In that other weapons are "The terrible weapon you only build if you have nothing better" while Psystaffs are appropriately strong for their tier.

Also, the poison planets were really disappointing. I mean, they are empty!

Yeah... you haven't seen how they "improved" asteroid fields.

---

Also turns out the first boss' difficulty depends HIGHLY on lag.

So that is how it got so hard. Still MUCH harder than the 2nd and 3rd boss combined.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:40:31 am by Neonivek »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 15, 2015, 04:28:22 am »

Also, the poison planets were really disappointing. I mean, they are empty!

Yeah... you haven't seen how they "improved" asteroid fields.
I fell through space and didn't find much there. ._.
Seems pretty reasonable, as a realistic update, really.

Though poking at the update on guns--it seems they're more randomized than not. I'm enjoying my 'common' 1k damage sniper rifle, bought from an avian ship, thanks. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 15, 2015, 04:45:57 am »

Asteroids tend to be very rich in metals in real life :P

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 15, 2015, 04:48:39 am »

Asteroids tend to be very rich in metals in real life :P
...Starbound has 'distinct' metals. :P
There's Iron...in its already refined form.
There's Gold...in large quantities not unlike what is in the asteroids of today (though I'm uncertain here).
Silver...Copper...
It's missing a lot more metals, is my guess on why there aren't any now (or...as far as exploring 5 whole fields equal). Because they wanted to respect all the other metals not present! :I
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:55:00 am by Tiruin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 15, 2015, 04:52:51 am »

Well no they changed it because previously asteroids had a VERY generous metal amount and diversity.

Though right now it is so diminished there is no reason to ever go there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 15, 2015, 09:20:16 am »

Old asteroids still didn't hold a candle to top-tier worlds, mostly because they also had the low-tier metals mixed in.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:35 am »

Soo.. new update to Stable, apparently now we can place teleporters on the planets. Also you relog in the place you left, so no more cheap teleporting from the underworld, I guess?
Plus: a ship racial pet. And something about the ancient gates.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 22, 2015, 05:44:15 am »

Found out it was mostly lag that was killing my character.

The first and second form of the first boss isn't supposed to be fast enough to kill you with even a slow saunter from what people are telling me.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead

So, anyone been looking at the Colony stuff? Looks fairly awesome, like a more refined version of Terraria's.
The first post talking about it I think
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:17:18 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, anyone been looking at the Colony stuff? Looks fairly awesome, like a more refined version of Terraria's.
The first post talking about it I think

I was kind of hoping they would keep their design philosophy that it is an alternate path of advancement...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead

I don't see any indication that this'll be the sole path of advancement at endgame, it mentions some other stuff they're working on at the end.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 130