Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439252 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #855 on: March 11, 2016, 03:34:37 am »

If a good game is ignored by the community because of its creator's past misdeeds (or even stupider, the creator's chosen publisher's past misdeeds), then it's the community shooting themselves in the foot, not the creator (or publisher). Vengeful dismissal does no good to anyone.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 11, 2016, 03:40:44 am »

If a good game is ignored by the community because of its creator's past misdeeds (or even stupider, the creator's chosen publisher's past misdeeds), then it's the community shooting themselves in the foot, not the creator (or publisher). Vengeful dismissal does no good to anyone.

Hey, if I poison children... I am not exactly going to be wondering why people won't buy my Apple Juice even if it was the best dang apple juice in the world.

Likewise I don't see why people should trust Chucklefish or even accommodate them... for being pricks... just because a few people "say" their games are good.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 11, 2016, 03:42:42 am »

Yeah, Spore was not overhyped -
I actually followed what was happening with Spore

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vengeful dismissal does no good to anyone.
Isn't that called boycotting? Which is what I do to say, Keen Software House after they took me and other friends money and didn't deliver even 25% of what they had proposed.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 11, 2016, 03:45:38 am »

Poisoning children ~= failing to live up to expectations of an in-house game.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 11, 2016, 03:52:39 am »

Poisoning children ~= failing to live up to expectations of an in-house game.

No, they are equivalents. Albeit on different levels.

They poisoned their own dang well and now they have to drink from it.

Why make excuses and put blame onto the consumers because CF messed up? Because otherwise it might mean actions have consequences? OHH NO!

I know we live in a world where people are so used to being screwed over, or knowing others are being screwed over, by corps that it feels like a fact of life. Yet frankly NO, it is still not and never will be acceptable no matter how prolific.  If a company loses the trust or goodwill of its consumer base it isn't the consumer base's fault.

Don't become a corporate apologist.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:56:00 am by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 11, 2016, 04:48:39 am »

If you were known to poison people, I would be highly suspicious of your apple juice. That doesn't mean I would completely ignore it if it happened to be the only one standing on the shelf, surrounded by prune juice. Since (potentially poisonous) apple juice is not (potentially bad) software the analogy breaks down, but I'd obtain a sample, have some quick tests done, and if nothing turned out to be amiss I would buy it. Simple as that.

Ignoring or hating on a good product because some bad company had something do with it is just stupid, in my opinion. I may dislike every game Gas Powered Games made since the first Dungeon Siege, and I dislike the company itself even more ever since it was bought by Wargaming to make them some new MMO based on Wildman. That does not mean I'm not going to take a look at any hypothetical Total Annihilation sequel they make - because the idea of an actual Total Annihilattion sequel made by Chris Taylor still interests me, even if GPG turned into a maker of flat, shallow multiplayer games, lost all their assets to bad business decisions, and got bought by one of the bigger developers/publishers of vehicular MMO shootfests that have no business making an off-genre classic RTS like Total Annihilation anymore.

The only question is whether or not I'll buy it when it comes out - but I will definitely look at the game and consider it. I gain nothing by ignoring it. The only games I will ignore are those that I know I will not like due to their genre, or will not be able to play due to system requirements. The developer and publisher just do not factor into it.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 11, 2016, 05:04:09 am »

Ignoring or hating on a good product because some bad company had something do with it is just stupid, in my opinion.

They cannot have their cake and eat it to. If they try to benefit from a good reputation you cannot pull the rug under someone and say that they cannot suffer because of a bad reputation.

It cannot go one way but not the other.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 11, 2016, 05:13:47 am »

I find it pretty simple for me.

If it's a good product that I want, I'll get it.
If it's a [bad/good] product that I don't want, I won't get it.

And if I don't trust the company in charge of the product, then I'll be a bit more careful with my purchase. (Just in general more consideration before purchase)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 11, 2016, 05:15:29 am »

And if I don't trust the company in charge of the product, then I'll be a bit more careful with my purchase. (Just in general more consideration before purchase)

Times like this I wish I could make a Satire without being a total jerk :S

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 11, 2016, 05:25:59 am »

Ignoring or hating on a good product because some bad company had something do with it is just stupid, in my opinion.

They cannot have their cake and eat it to. If they try to benefit from a good reputation you cannot pull the rug under someone and say that they cannot suffer because of a bad reputation.

It cannot go one way but not the other.
Extra scrutiny before purchase would be the extent of the bad reputation, just as less attention paid to details would be the extent of the good reputation. No matter how good a company I still won't buy a game I don't like - to me, it goes neither way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 11, 2016, 05:33:37 am »

So your not a believer in Dollar Votes? :P

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 11, 2016, 07:53:28 am »

And by extension you're not a believer in positive reinforcement?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 11, 2016, 08:01:54 am »

How is buying good games and not buying bad ones, regardless of whether or not their creator or publisher has/had a good or bad past not positive reinforcement? O_o
Reward for doing good, don't reward for doing bad, me and my understanding of English thought that that's what it meant.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 11, 2016, 08:09:45 am »

How is buying good games and not buying bad ones, regardless of whether or not their creator or publisher has/had a good or bad past not positive reinforcement? O_o
Reward for doing good, don't reward for doing bad, me and my understanding of English thought that that's what it meant.

My bad, not you. I meant Neonivek.

Questionable developer makes a good game? Buy it to show them what kinds of games they should be making. Positive reinforcement.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 11, 2016, 11:29:33 am »

My bad, not you. I meant Neonivek.

Questionable developer makes a good game? Buy it to show them what kinds of games they should be making. Positive reinforcement.

Buy it after they release it, maybe. Good luck getting funding with that reputation.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 130