Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 440997 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1065 on: July 26, 2016, 01:34:02 am »

Wow, new crafting is shit. Not only did they add in pointless craft times at some point, but apparently if you're crafting at a station you have to stand there and do nothing else with the window open for the entire time. AFK Simulator 2016.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1066 on: July 26, 2016, 02:07:06 am »

It's mainly a problem when smelting, for me.

I do see why they did it, I think: food.

A unit of food is a unit of time. Crafting was free from time, so boom. Add time, and now crafting is tied to the food economy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 26, 2016, 03:06:53 am »

I like that we can upgrade ships now:

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 26, 2016, 04:32:18 am »

Been playing the game again and while I spent too much time enjoying the colony building and farming(as in setting up a farm), the rest of the game is still a disappointment and will be put aside as soon as I reach the end. The story isn't anything enticing and some important stuff just isn't explained/expanded on as far as I can tell and hear from others. Not having a story would have probably been a better call. While we have some shiny new special weapons/abilities, it doesn't mean much with the game being as unchallenging as it is.

The progression for each tier just went like this:
1. go to planet with new ore tier
2. mine a bunch in one mining trip
3. craft ALL the new items
4. repeat

There is nothing stopping you or even remotely slowing down your progression and it feels completely unrewarding. Some of the boss designs were neat, but unfortunately unchallenging and since they're not tied to gear tier, chances are it'll be made even easier by you most likely being overgeared by the time you get to them since progressing is so easy and the story is made painful and slow by the whole scanning shenanigans. There are still some really questionable design decisions in places that you'd think the devs would have had enough time to clear up too. Overall the game still really feels half-done to me, hopefully they'll keep working on it and make it into something enjoyable/rewarding to play.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:35:54 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 26, 2016, 04:41:03 am »

Wow, new crafting is shit. Not only did they add in pointless craft times at some point, but apparently if you're crafting at a station you have to stand there and do nothing else with the window open for the entire time. AFK Simulator 2016.  ::)
I'm a bit annoyed with it because, for some indecipherable reason I LIKE that, but I also find it irritating when I have to stand still for a minute to make a load of torches or whatever.

Agreed, I can't say I like the artificial delay in crafting. I would've like to see something like the crafting Guild Wars 2, where it gets faster if you craft more of the same thing in a given session/click.

That said, after what someone mentioned about how food works now, it does make sense in that crafting now costs food/time.

Now that I think of it, what happens if you go hungry? Start taking health damage?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1070 on: July 26, 2016, 05:24:20 am »

OK, Forsaken, when you see this the server needs updating because an update came out almost immediately after you left.
Figures. Should be updated now.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 26, 2016, 05:29:36 am »

Now that I think of it, what happens if you go hungry? Start taking health damage?
Yep. One of the reported bugs was starving to death during a long cutscene.

edit: read the funniest thing on their forums just now. "Chucklefish are overall a good company who know what they're doing". And I'm just looking at the list of things that managed to go wrong with the game between the in-dev version a month ago and release...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:12:07 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 26, 2016, 07:56:55 am »

Casual has crafting time so the food thing makes no sense. Starving in a cutscene? Does it take a month to tell a story?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 26, 2016, 08:19:27 am »

Casual has crafting time so the food thing makes no sense. Starving in a cutscene? Does it take a month to tell a story?

It is more that these characters have super fast metabolisms and need to constantly be stuffing food in their face or else they starve to death.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 26, 2016, 08:22:20 am »

I did casual because every dev gets starvation completely wrong. How many is this now where players die in cut scenes?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 26, 2016, 08:22:53 am »

Speaking of food, make Pussplum Pudding, just about the best thing you can make. Fills up hunger, gets my attack bonus from 400% to 481%, gives extra energy and hp. Also, farming for profit-wise it's the best as far as I could tell.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 26, 2016, 08:44:51 am »

Yeah, I did casual for the same reason. The only games that got starvation even remotely right were some of the survival-shooter mods and games where you just need to pop a piece of food once ever few hours of game time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 26, 2016, 10:01:03 am »

Yeah, I did casual for the same reason. The only games that got starvation even remotely right were some of the survival-shooter mods and games where you just need to pop a piece of food once ever few hours of game time.

There were RPGs that did it as well... But they did something different from Starbound... what was it...

Ohh right you would eat automatically.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 26, 2016, 10:13:00 am »

There were RPGs that did it as well... But they did something different from Starbound... what was it...

Ohh right you would eat automatically.

When food is just food, that's great.

When food has effects, however, eating automatically is not ideal. Let's take Pussplum Pudding as an example because it was mentioned. Do you want the game to automatically eat one for you when you're not in combat and aren't planning on being in combat soon given Rage slows your movement as well?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 26, 2016, 10:28:02 am »

Fair, but, being able to mark food items as auto-eat or something would be nice.

Actually, for that matter (maybe as a mod, since it might be a bit of an odd fit with the rest of the game), setting conditions which will automatically consume a given food item would be interesting.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 130