Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439251 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1440 on: August 06, 2016, 10:47:24 am »

LOL. Apparently postponing Dreadwing turned it into an underwhelming experience. Went in with clockwork armor set and 2 wands (level 6 fire and ice portal), expecting a good fight.
But Dreadwing didn't even manage to kill my chemist and medic crewmate whom I'd beamed down with me. I used 1 nano bandage in the fight but in hindsight I would have survived with no heals. The crashing his UFO on top of my head move only took about 1/3d of my health bar.

I was really expecting something more of a fight. Instead I just got an oversized critter that got popped in a few shots.

Boo.

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

you can take on him as early as tier 2 armor. the problem is that you need a potent weapon to do damage and enough bandages for healing if hit..

as for me..

i reached the planet's center but i didnt found anything worth outside of large chunks of core fragments. was expecting to find larger clusters of other metals.

due to an issue with my computer i had to force restart and lost all my progress. so, im again starting with a glitch, didnt feel like building all the house again so i just sticked everything on ship. im growing some cotton for the teddy bear mission and already beated the erchius horror and have 2 of the 3 techs.

i just moved to a desert planet. have yet to explore it. my weapons right now are a powerdashing energy broadsword and a sniper rifle with explosive shot.

i also found a spear with multiattack and a machine pistol, the pistol was utter garbage.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:52:29 am by xaritscin »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 06, 2016, 10:55:24 am »

1-6 is hotbar. X switches to your other hotbar, which is also 1-6. R is mining, N is scanning, I have no clue what painting or wiring are.

Wait, there's another hotbar? I feel really silly for missing that.

Wow, seriously, this is actually a useful feature?? I thought having 6 slots was weirdly limiting, but with a second hotbar it's actually not too bad -- everything's pretty reachable with just one hand. Was I just completely blind or is this feature not advertised anywhere?
It is supposedly mentioned at some point in the tutorial/introductory mission, by an NPC... which yeah, basically means nobody ever read it and only stumbled on it because they knew X did something before.

The thing with an action-game interface, is that gating any part of it behind a toggle switch, implies that at any given time, the locked-off part is not supposed to be used, which is all kinds of silly for a "quick"-use interface here. They should have made the second half accessible via 7 through = keys, at least.

Speaking of which, hypothetical design for a better, super-hybrid hotbar:

Slots expand or contract depending on whether they have a two-handed item, a one-handed item, or two one-handed items in them. The button in the middle switches the sides of the bar, for the same basic effect as the new bar and the X switch. The lil' button on the far left switches left/right hand items in the current slot.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 06, 2016, 11:00:45 am »

I knew about it at the beginning of the game because I noticed it when I remapped the keys. :V

I've been using it the entire time I've been playing (since 1.0, anyways - I didn't really play it before that).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 06, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

I also noticed it immediately because of the little icon on the left that switches the bars. Now I kinda get the point of this, I think the idea is to have one bar with weapons and healing items for exploring and fighting and another bar with building materials and farming implements for your colony building. What I don't get is why they're limited to 6 items each rather than the full 10 or 12.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 06, 2016, 11:50:14 am »

I also noticed it immediately because of the little icon on the left that switches the bars. Now I kinda get the point of this, I think the idea is to have one bar with weapons and healing items for exploring and fighting and another bar with building materials and farming implements for your colony building. What I don't get is why they're limited to 6 items each rather than the full 10 or 12.
Because every slot is 2 slots, for dual-wielding (so CF's "new plan" goes), and stringing 10 or 12 of them out in a single row would break the UI in inconceivable ways. My design tries to avoid it by compacting slots that don't actually use dual-wielding, but even that makes for a fairly large bar.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 06, 2016, 11:56:54 am »

One mockup I saw just had the second slots tiled vertically instead of horizontally.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 06, 2016, 12:12:03 pm »

They're only limited to six if everything is a two-handed item...which unfortunately (though perhaps understandably) includes just about all building materials.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 06, 2016, 12:19:48 pm »

They're only limited to six if everything is a two-handed item...which unfortunately (though perhaps understandably) includes just about all building materials.

This. This is my main reason to hate the hotbar system.

Correction, the reason is more due to numerous items that have no function when right-clicked, but occupy both hands anyway.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 06, 2016, 12:28:00 pm »

Which items would those be exactly? I know placing objects does (torches), but that's tied to the matter manipulator which I guess is an excuse?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 06, 2016, 12:30:36 pm »

Which items would those be exactly? I know placing objects does (torches), but that's tied to the matter manipulator which I guess is an excuse?

Torches, platforms, furntiure...

It's an excuse, but a very poor one.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 06, 2016, 12:33:32 pm »

I think pretty much any kind of placeable object (blocks, furniture, crafting objects, and seeds or saplings).
Black lives matter.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 06, 2016, 01:11:02 pm »

Sure, but you can't place those objects in the background (which is what the MM's right-click function is for), making it less excusable.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 06, 2016, 02:25:10 pm »

Because every slot is 2 slots, for dual-wielding (so CF's "new plan" goes), and stringing 10 or 12 of them out in a single row would break the UI in inconceivable ways.

What? Bullcrap. http://i.imgur.com/R8KZG0i.png Fits just fine.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:28:08 pm by Sordid »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 06, 2016, 02:41:33 pm »

Torches are one-handed, though. I have mine paired with my flashlight.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 06, 2016, 02:42:46 pm »

Why would you carry a flashlight? The MM's scanning mode includes one.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 130