Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439266 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1545 on: August 09, 2016, 11:30:15 am »

Aren't there biometric locks you can use in FU?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 09, 2016, 01:59:39 pm »

after a hiatus i continued my expedition into the mutated underground of a planet.

most of the underground is composed of Tar and after that mineshaft caverns.

got enough metals for crafting the pet station, pixel printer and pixel compressor.

i need to move onto the last tier of planets. but i need to finish the avian mission first.

tried to take on shockhopper MK1 but its still too strong for me.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 09, 2016, 10:16:52 pm »

My modding desire has finally settled, mostly because FU has so much stuff I never discover. Like bones able to be extracted for oil, which can make advance plastics, which is used for hydroponics tube which makes my watering can mod redundant. Maybe I'll get another mod for more seeds but I'm not sure if it'll affect FU's other crops.

Also found a Hylotl library ruins which will become my home science base.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 10, 2016, 01:30:14 am »

NPC's follow me periodically and close doors when I'm trying to run back and forth. I just want to lock them in a room.

Make a room with platforms at door(s) level and have actual room below. Furniture it (or not) to make it possible to leave a room only with double jump or other tech. It doesn't look good, but I only keep 1 merchant at my base to sell stuff and have tube farm at the moon (thx to whoever posted a link previously in this thread).
Proximity scanners are simply not cheap to make. Pressure plates are not as compact and requires some additional planning/spacing. I don't know if FU adds some alternative yet. I will most likely mod in pixel printing of scanners before I start the game next time.

P.S. I really like how FU adds so much cool stuff to do. It looks like a mod required to enjoy the game.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 10, 2016, 03:29:57 am »

I really love how this game has learned no lessons from Terraria. Let's not have an item that makes you immune to fall damage. Let's not have an item that allows you to teleport home from anywhere. Let's not have a special key for the grappling hook. Let's not have a multiple attachment point grappling hook. Let's not have a meaningful upgrade to your basic double jump. Let's not have a jetpack. Let's not have a flying vehicle.

Given how long Starbound has been in development and how blatantly it copies Terraria's basic formula, you'd think some of the basic quality-of-life improvements that Terraria made over the years would find its way into Starbound. Sadly not, it seems.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 10, 2016, 04:15:15 am »

At least it's possible to mod it, apparently extensively.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 10, 2016, 04:36:31 am »

What's this FU mod everyone's talking about? It sounds awesome and I can't find it. Maybe I'm just dumb. It's 4:30 am, I'll check tomorrow. First, sleep.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1552 on: August 10, 2016, 04:46:36 am »

What's this FU mod everyone's talking about? It sounds awesome and I can't find it. Maybe I'm just dumb. It's 4:30 am, I'll check tomorrow. First, sleep.

Frackin Universe :) It's in the workshop.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 10, 2016, 05:05:49 am »

As Sappho said - Frackin Universe. Available both at starbound forums and workshop. Keep in mind it should be used after full save wipe (best to include universe wipe, which can only be done manually).

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 10, 2016, 05:35:22 am »

I really love how this game has learned no lessons from Terraria.

I have not really been following this until recently, but it seems to me that all the things you mention are conscious decisions.  I guess they are trying to appeal to a certain kind of gamer?  It must be working for them.

Like, they really want you to dig to the center of that first planet (i've never found 20 fragments in the starting mine, and must have started 10 times).  Why?  It is so arduous!

They really expect you to just make a starting farm, but give you no pointers.  They tell you that you need tilled ground when you first find a seed, but you need no less than FIVE crafting stations plus your own basic crafting interface to just get a hoe and watering can.

They are expecting a certain kind of gamer, someone who is looking for more of the same kind of generic survival crafting game that there is already a giant flood of, where you craft tools with sticks and strings. 

I don't mind crafting, I think it is great.  But like Sordid says:  Why am I using Torches instead of LED lamps?  Crafting does not have to be twigs and blocks, it could be feeding elements and organic compounds into fabbers.

They have made these choices consciously,   I'm sure of it.  It isn't bad design, as it has a huge audience of happy players.  I'm pretty sure at this point that it is not at all designed for ME, but I'm hoping that the right combination of mods will get it there.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 10, 2016, 05:36:54 am »

Keep in mind it should be used after full save wipe (best to include universe wipe, which can only be done manually).

Who with the what now?

I did a full save wipe before starting a FU game, and assumed that awesome cloud landscape was part of the mod.  Was it not?  How do I do a universe wipe?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1556 on: August 10, 2016, 05:38:03 am »

Like, they really want you to dig to the center of that first planet (i've never found 20 fragments in the starting mine, and must have started 10 times).  Why?  It is so arduous!

Really? I've never once failed to find enough shards in the starting mine and I've started over 4 times. I guess it is really random chance.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 10, 2016, 05:49:51 am »

Really? I've never once failed to find enough shards in the starting mine and I've started over 4 times. I guess it is really random chance.

I have always ended up with 14-18, and I'm pretty anal about checking every container and possible side passage.  A fast fix (rather than adjusting the spawn rate in the chests) would be just to drop the quest requirement to 10.  That might not require you to fight the miniboss though, so it isnt perfect.

My very first game I found a buried teleporter to a special bonus level, was a little sad when I discovered that wasn't a standard feature of the mines.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 10, 2016, 05:51:54 am »

Doesn't the mine boss drop like 10 shards?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 10, 2016, 07:43:13 am »

Proximity scanners are simply not cheap to make.
The price on scanning items for circuitry is very unreasonable. People who like making logical contraptions will need to farm for RL weeks before they can start working on their calculator / tetris machines.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 130