Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491557 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2015, 02:44:21 am »

I don't often go out of my way to buy DLC, usually only if a mod I like requires it, and I have found I tend to end up with quite a few as they're given away for free.

Besides all that, I feel like comparing the cost of multiple DLC to an expansion, like "Lord of Destruction".

I think Lord of Destruction was around $60 - $70AUD back when I bought it around 1998 (Apparently about $98 AUD now). It included 2 new characters and a new chapter with 5-6 new locations, items, mechanics and cinematics. (I cannot find the exact price for LOD as it was on release in Australia. My box doesn't have the price sticker anymore)

Going by the prices for DLC on Rome 2 at the moment; "Wrath of Sparta" campaign is $14.99 USD ($19.16 AUD). Totalling up "Caesar in Gaul", "Hannibal at the Gates" and "Wrath of Sparta" equals $45 USD (Rounded up). That's $57.52 AUD at current value.

I did this mostly because I think I often get the perception that since they're all individually priced and boxes (figuratively speaking) it ends up costing more, but three campaigns and faction additions for $60 AUD isn't too bad.

It is certainly annoying having to buy all the factions in separate bundles. All the faction and unit packs for Rome 2 ends up costing $43 USD ($54.96 AUD).

Totalled with the previous amount, do we think that all the DLC for Rome 2, added together for $91 USD ($116.31 AUD) has the same content value of Lord of Destruction in 1998?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2015, 03:10:35 am »

I don't often go out of my way to buy DLC, usually only if a mod I like requires it, and I have found I tend to end up with quite a few as they're given away for free.

Besides all that, I feel like comparing the cost of multiple DLC to an expansion, like "Lord of Destruction".

It's tricky to compare, as we're comparing across different genres. I remember LoD being completely huge when it dropped - so much more content, two whole new characters (with new weapons, skills) it had skill synergies, jewels, monster weaknesses/strengths and all sorts.

I think the thing is that LoD was a definite improvement and a move forward - a sort of mini-sequel. Most DLC just feels like stuff that they either didn't or couldn't throw in the original. While that was fine to begin with, it's now become a case of putting in only the bare minimum in the base game, and then having all the extras in DLC.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2015, 03:17:39 am »

Another way of putting it is..

How often does DLC shake up the formula?

Lord of Destruction was very noticeable when you were playing with it on versus when you weren't even when you didn't use those two new characters. It changed the entire landscape of how the game was meant to be played.

A proper expansion doesn't just add content for the sake of there being more content.

The first DLC for this game hands down will be a unit faction that will ALREADY be in the game...

The next DLC will be three factions which are the same faction with a few units rearranged, who will bare a striking resemblance to units who already exist in the game.

The way I put it is if you get DLC and it is possible to play the game without knowing there was any DLC to begin with... It wasn't very good.

Yes I will give credit where credit is due and say that while Crusader Kings 2 at least has the right "idea" in that every major expansion they had, the new factions didn't play the same. Mind you I felt like they often didn't do enough but the thought is there. (they still milked that game unjustly... Seriously? you need to PAY to have the game handle character models correctly? Why not just have that be part of the Nordic expansion? Ehh it is Paradox and they are quite famous for rip off dlc anyhow.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:24:37 am by Neonivek »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2015, 03:33:12 am »

I can certainly see that things sometimes feel that they're adding slight variations of existing content. Taking a closer genre of game to Rome 2, "Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance" was $39.99 USD (Roughly $40.00 - $45.00 AUD in 2007) as reported from a review by IGN in 2007. "Mark of Chaos: Battle March" was the same price at $39.99 USD in 2008 (a dollar or 2 difference between 2007 and 2008 inflation).

Or do we think we should only compare DLC to other DLC? What do we think was the most value for money DLC released for a game?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2015, 03:39:22 am »

I prefer to compare the games FULLY DLCed... and Fully Minor DLCed (as in minus the really expensive ones).

But DLC needs to be compared to the game it was released with.

There is a reason why unlocking "Extra generic faction #1234" might have more "content" in terms of data and time/effort but lacks content because... it is just another generic faction.

Oddly enough the one expansion that I was miffed at was the Empire Total War expansions in that they were pretty much standalone... Which is a shame because a lot of people would have preferred them to exist in the global theater.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:43:26 am by Neonivek »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2015, 03:44:05 am »

Or you could just compare the Rome2+DLC to old Rome+Expansions (IIRC there were two of them) and see how the price/content ratio works out. I wouldn't consider Atilla for R2 tho since it comes out almost as a full game as far as the price goes.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2015, 03:46:14 am »

Another way of putting it is..

How often does DLC shake up the formula?

Lord of Destruction was very noticeable when you were playing with it on versus when you weren't even when you didn't use those two new characters. It changed the entire landscape of how the game was meant to be played.

A proper expansion doesn't just add content for the sake of there being more content.

The first DLC for this game hands down will be a unit faction that will ALREADY be in the game...

The next DLC will be three factions which are the same faction with a few units rearranged, who will bare a striking resemblance to units who already exist in the game.

The way I put it is if you get DLC and it is possible to play the game without knowing there was any DLC to begin with... It wasn't very good.

Yes I will give credit where credit is due and say that while Crusader Kings 2 at least has the right "idea" in that every major expansion they had, the new factions didn't play the same. Mind you I felt like they often didn't do enough but the thought is there. (they still milked that game unjustly... Seriously? you need to PAY to have the game handle character models correctly? Why not just have that be part of the Nordic expansion? Ehh it is Paradox and they are quite famous for rip off dlc anyhow.)
Paradox may be infamous for bad DLC handling, but the fact that they've been updating the basic game (for free) every time they release a DLC with features, ease of use, and acessibility, is nothing short of amazing. If you don't believe me, download the demo, which hasn't been touched since release, and compare.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2015, 03:57:23 am »

The two expansions for Rome 1 were "Barbarian Invasion" and "Alexander the Great" or something similarly named. I believe the first one is much more highly regarded than the second though I'm unsure of details. I do not own the second expansion because it was not included in the anthology I bought.

Mechanics wise they haven't changed much in the DLC added to Rome 2 as much as they changed in the BI expansion for Rome 1. However, the base game of Rome 2 has changed a fair bit from release with patches. The diplomacy mechanic got an overhaul as well as the faction gravitas/popularity system.

"Barbarian Invasion" I don't think changes the base game as it is a separate campaign to the original "take over the world as Rome or another faction", something similar to the expansions for Medieval 2: Total War where the Kingdoms expansion added about 4 focused campaigns with new mechanics that didn't modify the base game campaign.

Do we think there will be a higher or lower chance for "reskinning" of factions in Warhammer: Total War? Aside from the Empire I don't really think so. The other factions are rather unified in their numbers. Let's take Orcs and Goblins; from these we can make base Orcs and Goblins, Forest Goblins, Night Gobins, Feral Orcs and possibly one or two others (sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable on OaG).
Skaven have base warlord, Pestilens, Skrye, Moulder and Eshin, each of which has a big difference in focus (Pestilens = frenzied monks, Skyre = machines, Moulder = mutated monsters and Eshin = assassins).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2015, 04:09:04 am »

Paradox may be infamous for bad DLC handling, but the fact that they've been updating the basic game (for free) every time they release a DLC with features, ease of use, and acessibility, is nothing short of amazing. If you don't believe me, download the demo, which hasn't been touched since release, and compare.

In all fairness they had to. It is like when some games raise the level cap with DLC, sometimes they have to raise everyone's level cap.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2015, 05:30:56 am »

Or you could just compare the Rome2+DLC to old Rome+Expansions (IIRC there were two of them) and see how the price/content ratio works out. I wouldn't consider Atilla for R2 tho since it comes out almost as a full game as far as the price goes.

Attila actually is a full game and has no actual connection to Rome 2. The lower entry price is most likely to make buying the game easy and then scrape the rest of the money from you in the form of DLC. It's really approaching a semi "free to play" point.

And yes I am afraid that Warhammer will be the next DLC whore of a game...which makes me sad

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2015, 05:41:57 am »

It will hurt especially hard with Warhammer because it does have some genuinely great things to draw upon for great new content.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2015, 09:58:56 am »

No shit. We talk about Warhammer afterall. Insane amount of content can be put into DLCs..and you bet that they will release buttload of DLCs. However new races won't be added and released via DLCs IMO, those are better material for expansion packs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2015, 10:57:31 am »

In all fairness they had to. It is like when some games raise the level cap with DLC, sometimes they have to raise everyone's level cap.

That's not very similar, and they didn't have to do anything. I don't think they releasing free content out of the kindness of their hearts, mind you, it's fairly obvious it was decided in order to soothe the hate they would get from their decision to go from an expansion pack model to a "DLC only" model. But they certainly could have just ignored their angry fans in that matter - they control almost the entirety of a very niche market, they have no competitors who make the same kind of games that they do. If they wanted to lock all new content into DLC they could have.
Love, scriver~

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2015, 05:25:58 pm »

No shit. We talk about Warhammer afterall. Insane amount of content can be put into DLCs..and you bet that they will release buttload of DLCs. However new races won't be added and released via DLCs IMO, those are better material for expansion packs.

Attila makes me think otherwise. Those are not as varied but they do love cramming new factions as $8 DLC

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2015, 01:27:08 am »

There's been some more comments made by Creative Assembly regarding how the game, factions and similar will be handled.

I copied this from a repost of the information made by someone on the Total War forums. Apparently the comments themselves were made on Youtube.
Spoiler: List in Here (click to show/hide)

Interesting parts is mention that the factions will play differently and there will be a large variety of units available. The bit on characters with quest arcs, items and possibly mounts is intriguing and reminds me of the avatar they had in the online section of Shogun 2 a bit.

I also like the part saying that the planned expansions will add to the overall campaign map. So if they make one based in Lustria than that area will be added to the base game campaign, not just as a separate campaign like, say, "Wrath of Sparta".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:29:38 am by Mech#4 »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 277