Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491547 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Out today!
« Reply #735 on: May 25, 2016, 04:32:31 am »

Steam tanks look hillarious, pity, that they cant ram infantry formations like cavalry charge can.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 25, 2016, 05:41:17 am »

Also, anybody know who Not Medivh is supposed to be?  Absent any other evidence, I'm guessing he's Tzeentch or associated with Tzeentch.
He could be the Changeling, or the possessed light wizard from the intro.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 25, 2016, 07:21:43 am »

Decided to play as Kholek instead, got a little tangled up fucking with the Norsemen, having trouble shaking the territory-control mindset I guess.

Was doing pretty good but since it's total war they decided to just give everyone but me three or four full-bar doomstacks.  This sucks.  It also means I can never start new hordes, because they get instagibbed as soon as they think about doing something worthwhile.

Jesus fucking Christ.  This time I sent my guy deep into no-man's-land to try to give him time to buidl up his forces, but a doomstack went /around/ Kholek and killed him, cause all the enemies have infinite campaign movement while my guys struggle to walk up a hill without dying.

Playing Chaos is like being Attila, if Attila didn't have any guys and got his ass kicked as soon as he walked out of his tent.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:18:21 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 25, 2016, 10:07:01 am »

This game is sounding less and less like a fun romp in the WHF world and sounding more like a game of "How do you beat the grossly cheating AI."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 25, 2016, 10:13:07 am »

It's not too bad, I was just salty.  Chaos is also more frustrating with that because your hordes are your infrastructure.  If your invading army gets wiped out that's like losing a town.

If I hadn't spend the first 30 turns or so playing grabass up north and hit the weak provinces hard instead I probably would've been stronger.  I had a doomstack too, I just hadn't taken advantage of the window of opportunity to get more than one so I was playing catchup.
Shoes...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 25, 2016, 10:20:23 am »

My Empire game is having ups and downs which is a rather welcome change to Rome II where it was a near constant up after the initial difficult start.

Uniting Reikland being the early goal, after that was getting trading agreements and the infrastructure to build better units. Come a chaos invasion, the divided empire states faired badly and lost quite a lot of provinces. Being the strongest left after this I've found the states much more agreeable to confederation and defensive alliances.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #741 on: May 25, 2016, 12:12:04 pm »

If you're wondering...

"why do my damage spells suck?"

or

"why do my damage spells seem so overpowered?"

The answer is that unit HP is tied to unit size. So a lord can get oneshot by a spell on small or normal but survive with 2/3rds health on ultra.

I hope this gets fixed.

Though all the aura and buff spells are still pretty crazy. The celestial wizard can basically nerf an entire army to the ground with one overcast spell that reduces their damage to like... nothing. Oh hey, Kholek Suneater. Nice damage you got there. Would be a shame if I reduced it to... a goblin's level.

So I guess in that sense, the more units you have the more useless damage spells become and more powerful buff / debuffs are.

I still want the big damage spells like the comet to actually hurt. Right now they just kinda scatter people about.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 25, 2016, 12:28:57 pm »

Yeah. I feel like vortexes are really only good to break formations and (in sieges) deal with bottlenecks.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 25, 2016, 12:33:15 pm »

Yeah. I'm not sure how effective just randomly throwing people around is but it seems to work.

I'm having quite a lot of fun with the empire campaign like mech#4.

I haven't won yet. I keep restarting because I don't like the holes I keep digging for myself. It's fine. Better than a simple linear campaign

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 25, 2016, 12:43:39 pm »

How is everyone liking this? I have 59.99 in my steam wallet (thanks to my friend), that I was thinking of spending on Stellaris. But I think I won't be getting Stellaris for a while, if at all.

So next game on my top want list is warhammer total war. Generally, I kinda like more diplomacy/espionage/economy focused strategy games (like EU4 and CK2 being my two #1 and #2 favorite strategy games of all time), but I loved Rome 2 (after all the DLCS) and Attila (even vanilla Attila is epic) and previous Total Wars.

Is the game pretty good out of the box? I know rome 2 needed a lot of work at release, but Attila even without DLCs is a ton of fun. My favorite part of Attila is playing as western romans and playing survival mode lol.

Only thing I see judging by posts, is AI cheats a lot, so I'd probably just play normal mode. Thats what I did on Rome 2 and Attila, just normal mode. Not a big fan of cheating AI. Even in Eu4 I always turn off lucky nations lol. But other than that, the game looks actually really good for a newly released total war game. And seems to be getting good reviews.

Except it WOULD cost 59.99 to buy it, which is every thing my friend gave me :P

I don't have any other games I'd want to buy besides stellaris or warhammer total war. And I marked off stellaris, so yeah lol. Just fallout 4 dlc, but gonna wait for all DLC in one pack. Ark survival looks okay, but meh. Kinda bored of the (sorta) RPG style survival games after playing so much RUST. And thats pretty much it for games I'm currently have any vague interest in lol.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:45:29 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 25, 2016, 01:03:11 pm »

I wish I could say, but I'm still having performance issues which aren't affected at all by changing graphics settings (which the game happily set at High, like it has in previous TWs). Alt-tabbing, which someone suggested, does nothing. So, uh. Heeeeelp. I meet the recommended system specs just fine (also, wow, the min settings are super low, I had no idea).

I hope I get some help from patches, if nothing else helps.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 25, 2016, 01:05:27 pm »

It's good. It's kinda hard too.

I thought I'd be blitzing through the game but I haven't even managed to complete one very hard Empire run yet (restarted like 3 times) when I would have been done legendary in any other Total War.

No performance issues on my end.

It's been simplified in some areas and made more complicated in others but overall it's very fun for me. I like that there are mods as well, so I can just happily mod out things I don't like. For example, I'm sure Radious has a mod out that will let you reduce or remove the cheating AI. For my next run I'm going to double the amount of skill points your guys get per level.

My main problem is the loading times. It takes ages on my external harddrive. I wish I had a SSD...

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 25, 2016, 01:06:34 pm »

How is everyone liking this? I have 59.99 in my steam wallet (thanks to my friend), that I was thinking of spending on Stellaris. But I think I won't be getting Stellaris for a while, if at all.

Yeah, Stellaris won't be worthwhile for another 6 months - year. This game is pretty good out of the box so far.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 25, 2016, 01:18:37 pm »

I've found the battles quite a bit harder than previous games. There's a lot of things to keep track of and with lords, chariots, trolls, magic and everything else going off all over the place, as well as rounding up rallied units, keeping a battleline formed is very difficult.
The A.I. has a real focus on flanking with skirmishes as well. Stupid chaos warhounds going after my mortars.

Magic does seem in need of some changing. Casting the metal lore shard bombardment spell onto an artillery crew and not killing anyone seems a bit odd. The buff spells are more useful with flaming swords, unbreakable and increased defence and leadership.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 25, 2016, 01:29:20 pm »

Speaking of flaming swords. Last game I got a banner that gave all units in an AOE around it flaming weapons. I thought that was kinda crazy.

----

I might switch it out and try out Chaos now. I know from experience that Chaos Chosen are donkeyballs super strong. It'd be a nice change from these worthless swordsmen.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 277