Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491587 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #795 on: May 26, 2016, 11:02:19 pm »

One thing that's been bugging me is I'm big on heavy cavalry, always played France in Medieval 2, but it seems like none of the factions I've played have much in the way of early heavy cavalry.  I haven't tried empire or dwarves yet but I can't imagine dwarves have any and I've never seen the humans using it.  It makes chasing a lot harder too.  Armies are really hard to permanently put down, and if you don't finish off that crippled army he's just gonna run a doomstack out and use what's left of that army to pull it into a reinforcement battle.

Empire get heavy cavalry with the Reiksguard and Empire Knights. Reiksguard need the Reiksfort (req town level 3) and Armoury (town level 4), Knights need the Livery (town level 3) and Blacksmith (town level 3). They're not early, more midgame, but they certainly fit the role of heavy cav.

Orc Boarboyz are probably the earliest 'heavy' cav, though I can't tell what level the town needs to be to build the Boar Sty you need for them.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 26, 2016, 11:16:46 pm »

I have to agree that playing Chaos is so, so much fun.

After beating the Empire campaign this is such a refreshing change of pace. I also went with Sigvald because... you know... he's Sigvald and Sigvald is awesome.

It's so nice not having to care about any cities or defenses or anything. Just rampage around willy nilly. Also all your units are so bleeding strong.

----

Also, I just noticed all the damage spells are worthless except for the Lore of Death. The Lore of Death is insane. Each of its damage spells can basically annihilate entire squads. Why can't all the magics be like that?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 26, 2016, 11:29:23 pm »

Maybe since I"m playign with smaller unit sizes magic seems stronger, but I've had a lot of fun slinging fireballs around with Archaon.  He's basically artillery, and I haven't seen many people get up after being hit by one.  You can also occasionally snipe lords when they're wounded with it, and it's even stronger when fired from the walls of a city.  Metal Lore seems weak on the attack end, hounds of gehenna is just kind of silly.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 26, 2016, 11:56:22 pm »

Maybe since I"m playign with smaller unit sizes magic seems stronger, but I've had a lot of fun slinging fireballs around with Archaon.  He's basically artillery, and I haven't seen many people get up after being hit by one.  You can also occasionally snipe lords when they're wounded with it, and it's even stronger when fired from the walls of a city.  Metal Lore seems weak on the attack end, hounds of gehenna is just kind of silly.
Metal lore does have final transmutation. While it's pretty derpy against groups of enemies, it's excellent at sniping lords. A single overcast final transmutation can kill a wizard or one of the weaker heroes / lords. Two can kill any legendary lord.

Other than that, fire is basically better if every way heh.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 27, 2016, 04:02:29 am »

So as Chaos do you fight the Norscans first or do you push straight into human territory?  When I do the first I find they build up too much to beat, and when I do the second I find I'm not strong enough to actually do anything and spend all my time running away.

Also, awakening the tribes?  They all feel too weak to do anything
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 27, 2016, 05:48:52 am »

So as Chaos do you fight the Norscans first or do you push straight into human territory?  When I do the first I find they build up too much to beat, and when I do the second I find I'm not strong enough to actually do anything and spend all my time running away.

Also, awakening the tribes?  They all feel too weak to do anything
I do have some mods on. I have the one that gives more skill points and the one that disables agent aggressive actions.

I kinda just derped around being derpy. No real strategy. I was roleplaying Sigvald and looking for things that would piss Sigvald off.

I haven't really had any problems with fighting things. If you want to use my strategy here's what I did:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think you should just ignore all the marauders and crap like that. They're pretty garbage. You might think you need them to flank the enemy or chase down skirmishers or whatever but c'mon. Your superhuman deathball will kill the entire main army faster than those skirmishers can even do anything. Even the basic Chaos Warrior band can take on 2x their number and they don't cost all that much. The only time I was in any danger of getting my army wiped was when I did Sigvald's sword quest which has you fighting some pretty massive amounts of Forsaken. Even then I was pretty sure even if everyone died (in the end I only lost one squad) Sigvald himself could kill everything no problem.

Right now I think I can just plunk Sigvald, the two heroes, and the sorcerer in one army by themselves and solo the arsehole bird's army that just showed up. I'd like to put Kholek in there if I could just for more shits and giggles.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 27, 2016, 06:25:09 am »

Rotgut takes one of my nothing settlements with a dinky-ass goblin army.  Send my second army to take it back and kick his ass.  Immediately, the turn after he takes it, he comes out with a giant army of boyz.  Are you fucking serious.
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 27, 2016, 07:14:49 am »

I made a big mistake in my dwarf campaign. I noticed my southern brethren were doing quite well for themselves so I decided to let them deal with the orcs in the south. I went north to conquer the orcs up there. After I was done with them I started fighting with the vampire counts. Many turns later I notices my southern brethren are getting steamrolled by several orc doomstacks. My armies are all waaay up north and there is nothing defending the juicy heart of my empire.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 27, 2016, 07:44:36 am »

Oh damn, just found out how Waaagh! works.  This is sick.  I'm da one true git now.

If you get 80 fightiness from winning battles /and/ you have 17 units in your stack, a full 20-man doomstack appears in a special allied faction and then follows your main army around, or can be directed at specific points.  NOt sure what happens if they take a place yet, but if I can just get it to stay in reinforcement range I'm gonna be a real zoggin' waaagh!

It's a good mechanic, represents the feast or famine nature of orcs pretty well.  Get it going good and they snowball into a rolling apocalypse, lose your momentum and they splinter apart and neutralize themselves.

Edit:  Oh jesus.  Waaagh allies are player-controlled if they get reinforced into a battle.  I wasn't ready for this.  I have 4000 troops in this battle, 37 units.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:51:33 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 27, 2016, 07:52:39 am »

I must just say that I find the mental image of Cthulhu nerding out in R'lyeh amusing. "In his house in R'lyeh he slouches in bad posture, gaming. Seriously, we've been trying to get him out in the open air for millenias, he always says just one more turn."

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 27, 2016, 08:01:19 am »

Edit:  Oh jesus.  Waaagh allies are player-controlled if they get reinforced into a battle.  I wasn't ready for this.

I didn't realise this until half way through a battle.  I thought the AI was just being derpy with my reinforcements sitting there while my actual army was taking significant losses :p

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:38 am »

I had some success in my Empire campaign with allies holding back the chaos invasion. You can direct allies to send their armies to attack enemy settlements and armies using buttons on the centre right of the diplomacy screen. Catch is the ally has to be at war with the enemy you want them to target.

I have generally found allies to be quite a large help. Dwarfs were sending armies to deal with roaming chaos armies in my provinces near Altdorf as well as stomping rebel armies spawning due to low order. Amusingly enough, during the chaos invasion, Tilia and Estalia sent armies all the way to Kislev to chip in a bit. I then look south and found that the Border Princes had been nearly wiped out by 6 full greenskin armies, all clustered around the entrance to Blackfire Pass.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 27, 2016, 11:47:17 am »

I really want everything east of the mountains to appear already.
What's the chances they'll end up putting that in? Because Ogre Kingdoms. And also Elves sure maybe.
To the east are the Darklands. There are four things there: Skaven (though they are everywhere), Greenskins, Chaos Dwarfs (hats!), and Ogres (fat mongols!).
Not to say that those things aren't out east, but there's a fantasy!China out there too, called Cathay.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 27, 2016, 11:50:08 am »

I really want everything east of the mountains to appear already.
What's the chances they'll end up putting that in? Because Ogre Kingdoms. And also Elves sure maybe.
To the east are the Darklands. There are four things there: Skaven (though they are everywhere), Greenskins, Chaos Dwarfs (hats!), and Ogres (fat mongols!).
Not to say that those things aren't out east, but there's a fantasy!China out there too, called Cathay.
Also fantasy!India and fantasy!Japan, but GW has pretty much ignored them outside some mentions in Ogre lore and what Grimgor was up to in End Times.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 27, 2016, 01:06:43 pm »

Among Greenskins there are the Hobgoblins, led by the Hobgobla Khan, riding on wolves and harassing whoever they can.

But the whole area never really got that much fleshing out and I doubt it will make an appearance.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 277