Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491579 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #810 on: May 27, 2016, 01:28:19 pm »

By the way, did any of you guys who've played Chaos to completion get a little tickled by the funny little cinematic that shows up in the late game?

I found it kinda strange that only Chaos get that but no one else does.

... Though I guess Chaos is the canon faction to be playing as...

Edit: HAHAHAHA SIGVALD ACTUALLY DOES FLOAT A FEW CENTIMETERS OFF THE GROUND!

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 27, 2016, 08:15:49 pm »

I'm kinda annoyed how fast the vanilla Battles are over, so I've started playing with Radious Mod. Altough there the income is just tweaked waaaay too high, so I basically have the Choice between Battles being over too fast or no economic challenge. Prolly just ahve to wait for the first couple Updates.

On a unrelated note, Vampires seems incredibly Overpowered in a lot of regard. They get incredible Regeneration Abilities, can raise Full stack armies compelte with high tier units in a single turn AND everyone that enters their turf get's attrition. They also seem to get access to their first couple strong unit's a lot faster than other races tough. I have to spend a good 20-30 turns basically jsut throwing Boyz and the ocassional wolf rider at enemies as the Orcs, while the Vamps can literally field Vargeists and Crypt Horrors in their first 10 turns, if you do it right.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:22 pm »

Mrm... it's their shtick. On the other end they have to expand relatively slowly and if they lose a battle they don't just rout... they literally lose all their troops.

Also they don't have ranged units which actually kinda hurts. They rely almost entirely on cavalry, monsters and flying units to deal their DPS which makes them very weak to spears and halberds. Their melee lords also aren't as potent as some of the other melee lords.

Chaos eats the Vampires for breakfast I think. A single group of Chaos Warriors can hold against them for eons. A lot of Chaos troops also do magic and fire damage in addition to physical (basically they all have flaming swords) which really ruins almost all of VC.

That being said I think they're really strong too. I don't think they're overpowered though. If anything I think Chaos are the OP faction. Seriously, Chosen are crazy.

I didn't want to use Radious because like you said it fucks with the economy too much. I'm trying out some of the other combat mod changes. If I find any good ones, I'll post it here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 27, 2016, 10:44:10 pm »

In the tabletop one of the weaknesses of the Vampire Counts is their low individual leadership. Say, Skeletons have leadership 3, near the general though they have leadership 7. Flanking units like Black Knights have better leadership on their own at 6 but that's still not too great.

On other things, I do like the magic items and banners you can get. I had one army with a banner of speed or similar that increases a units speed by 20% so I gave it to a unit of pistoleers and they had movement of around 110.
I do wish things like banners and spells had effects that lingered. The burning banner for one would be nice since I'm unsure whether it affects just the unit with the banner or any unit near them.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 27, 2016, 10:51:42 pm »

On other things, I do like the magic items and banners you can get. I had one army with a banner of speed or similar that increases a units speed by 20% so I gave it to a unit of pistoleers and they had movement of around 110.
I do wish things like banners and spells had effects that lingered. The burning banner for one would be nice since I'm unsure whether it affects just the unit with the banner or any unit near them.
Units in an AOE. It says so on the banner and in battle if you look at the unit cards for the units near the banner holder you'll see they get the effect too. Combine it with a bright wizard for more fun times as the bright wizard gives everything on the map a weakness to fire.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 28, 2016, 03:49:11 am »

I can only assume Vampires work VERY similarly to the vampires in the football game.

Which is that the vampires are basically their star player, but all their other units are kind of lousy (or at least not AS good as the equivalent)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 28, 2016, 04:26:07 am »

Not particularly. The early units, skellies and zombies, yes. They're chaff. Later on, Grave Guard are really solid infantry, Black Knights are excellent heavy cavalry and they've got several different flying unit types for harass/flank/anti-ranged along with a few big monsters for pushing in gates or general monstering.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 28, 2016, 04:31:12 am »

There are actually no vampires besides the heroes and lords.
Would've been pretty cool to have blood knights, but alas they aren't in it.

Edit: That being said, they do lampshade it at least, there's an event where it's noted 'regrettably, the blood knights cannot be convinced to join you', etc etc.

My thinking is that they'll either be a DLC unit, or they left them out because having more powerful heavy cavalry than Brettonia is stupid.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:46:15 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 28, 2016, 05:06:50 am »

In the tabletop one of the weaknesses of the Vampire Counts is their low individual leadership. Say, Skeletons have leadership 3

I'm not sure if this could be counted as a weakness when they are also immune to everything that requires leadership (at least in eighth), other then crumbling after the general dies (which, given the nature of the vampire counts army, if you general dies you probably lost the game for a lot of reasons already, crumbling not really being that bad of one.)... And like, probably random weird unit abilities like the Terrorgheist scream.

Super sad about the lack of blood knights. They are pretty much my favorite unit on the table top. But hey, there are still other vampires then just the heroes and lords! The Vargheists and Varghulf! Also sorta the black coach. Totally counts right? Right?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 28, 2016, 08:20:36 am »

Ah, yes I think your right. The leadership value would be there for spells and such that use the leadership to determine whether it works or not. Undead don't rout, they take as many wounds as points they lost combat by. Immune to psychology also means they're unaffected by fear and terror causing units and aren't affected by nearby routing units.

I'm going by 7th edition here by the way, as I don't have the 8th edition rulebook. Reading it, interestingly enough, once a unit is in melee they aren't affected by fear or terror causing units. I wonder whether it works that way in the game.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 28, 2016, 08:32:30 am »

I know fear-causing units are immune to fear-effects, though I don't know if regular undead line troops cause fear.

Orc campaign's going well.  Lost my waaagh! which hurts but I'm retrofitting my army with better troops now that it's starting to show its age and the dwarves are getting some seriously hurty shit.  Which reminds me of a protip:  The pre-battle strength indicator does not properly account for stuff like blasting charges, which will break low-leadership units in one or two volleys.

We're looking south for the moment.  The Teef Snatchaz are waaagh!ing Karak Azul and I want to grab as much territory there as I can to keep their strength low.  All the orc tribes are allied now aside from Black Venom which is too far away to matter.  I'll try to confederate once we've crushed the dwarves, then figure out a way through Sylvania, then the fun begins.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:34:41 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 28, 2016, 09:04:03 am »

Well, in the game and I'm pretty sure still in the tabletop, all undead units cause fear. That meant that units charging fear causing units had to take a test or fail the charge as well as other stuff regarding losing combat and so on and so on.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 28, 2016, 09:25:35 am »

Well, in the game and I'm pretty sure still in the tabletop, all undead units cause fear. That meant that units charging fear causing units had to take a test or fail the charge as well as other stuff regarding losing combat and so on and so on.

They changed all that come 8th edition, because Daemons were so overpowered with a variety of things, including the fear.

It just dropped your WS to 1 if you failed the check.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 28, 2016, 11:57:23 am »

Apparently, this is the fastest-selling total war ever. I hope this means even more fantasy total wars after the Warhammer trilogy is done.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 28, 2016, 12:17:41 pm »

Apparently, this is the fastest-selling total war ever. I hope this means even more fantasy total wars after the Warhammer trilogy is done.

Whilst I haven't played it, it seems like very good news. Anything that encourages AAA companies to take a few more risks (which this admittedly was) is great news in my opinion. More than that, I'd love to see TW tackle W40k as well - they'd have to completely change things up to move from a melee+a bit of ranged to a predominantly ranged battle system, but I think it'd be amazing.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 277