Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491507 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #2070 on: April 24, 2017, 02:19:03 pm »

I use it on a HDD since I don't have a SSD. Loading times take like.... 4 - 10 minutes. I usually play on my phone or something while waiting.

Also makes MP coop campaigns impossible unless we autoresolve everything.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: April 24, 2017, 03:21:31 pm »

Loading into maps can be a bit punishing is all. I assume you've watched play from whatshisface, so you know what to expect.

Is this more or less relative to how Total War games usually do? Because in my experience they always take along time for thw loading.
Love, scriver~

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: April 24, 2017, 03:39:07 pm »

Loading into maps can be a bit punishing is all. I assume you've watched play from whatshisface, so you know what to expect.

Is this more or less relative to how Total War games usually do? Because in my experience they always take along time for thw loading.

They always take a while to load in, but there's a difference from the 30 second/minute load times now compared to the 4-10 minutes you get on a HDD. It's less of a problem if you're experienced, but having to reload the same battle 2-3 times gets way, way more painful with a ten minute load after each time.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: April 24, 2017, 05:46:13 pm »

The before battle loading isn't that harsh (it's 2-3 minutes for me), but the after battle one is really long for me, at least 10 minutes for me. Wish I had a SSD, but I'm not going to make the investment just for TW

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:39 pm »

Yeah, not going to lie, I was starting to hate the game when I first got it because of the painful load times on HDD, with multiple minutes on both sides of each battle. Freed up some space on my SSD and switched it over, and now I'm up to 239 hours with 5 completed campaigns, and I'm just about to start another! On the downside, I often don't have enough time to read the loading screen quotes any longer, which is sad because they're rather thematic.  :'(

Also, I have to ask...

Can't wait to ramp Unit size to ultra and bring a malfunction of deathwheels.

Is that the proper name for a group of Deathwheels? Like a murder of crows or a gaggle of geese? Because it sounds very appropriate!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: April 24, 2017, 11:34:23 pm »

It is!

Makes me wonder how they're going to implement the most devastating and unreliable artillery in the game.
They don't seem to enjoy their random chance, so who knows.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:38:11 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 25, 2017, 01:25:31 am »

It is!

Makes me wonder how they're going to implement the most devastating and unreliable artillery in the game.
They don't seem to enjoy their random chance, so who knows.
They better make the wheels and ratling guns manually controllable.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 25, 2017, 02:12:43 am »

The game has major balance problem regarding single monsters anyway. Mainly, in larger unit sizes they are comparatively weaker, since their stats remain the same but the numbers of normal units grow. On the other hand, they are much better when played with smaller unit sizes.

I presume the hamster wheel of death would be a single item unit like monsters. Thus it would fall under this same problem. So far CA seems to be just ignoring it.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 25, 2017, 08:03:46 am »

The before battle loading isn't that harsh (it's 2-3 minutes for me), but the after battle one is really long for me, at least 10 minutes for me. Wish I had a SSD, but I'm not going to make the investment just for TW

I'd just make the investment for gaming in general if you spend any serious time doing it. It's probably the single biggest step up in performance out of everything I've bought. OS loads up instantly, load times are practically zero on most games and texture pop is reduced significantly for open world games.

I don't know where you are in the world, but a 128gb SSD is really cheap - especially for what you get. Make sure you don't get a lower size than that, as a lot of games (TOTAL WARHAMMER I AM LOOKING AT YOU, YOU BASTARD) need to basically take up double (or at least a third) of the space to do big updates so you need to keep quite a lot of space free.

More than that though, it seems that most new games are being created with SSDs in mind - I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes pretty much required in a year or two for most games.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: April 25, 2017, 09:43:52 am »

The game has major balance problem regarding single monsters anyway. Mainly, in larger unit sizes they are comparatively weaker, since their stats remain the same but the numbers of normal units grow. On the other hand, they are much better when played with smaller unit sizes.

I presume the hamster wheel of death would be a single item unit like monsters. Thus it would fall under this same problem. So far CA seems to be just ignoring it.
Would that mean that when the numbers of smaller units grow, their stats stay the same too?
Wouldn't that make each individual dude require less hp taken from the unit in order to get chaff'd?

Haven't looked at any stats, so have no idea.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 06, 2017, 07:43:10 am »

Call of Warhammer, a major total conversion mod for Medieval 2 Total War, had a new version come out a couple of months ago. I finally tried it. The sheer variety and depth of content blows Total Warhammer completely out of water.

Unfortunately, the basic mechanics of old Total Wars make me pretty unable to play it. Mainly one - manual retraining of troops. It is such useless micro. Every time you take casualties you must march back to the settlement that can train each individual unit, then click retrain etc. It just takes time and clicks while adding nothing to the game.

It is a shame, since the mod seems great, but I just can't endure all that clicking anymore.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 06, 2017, 08:23:50 am »

That IS how medieval 2 played, though.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 06, 2017, 10:37:11 am »

Yeah, like I said, the problem is with Medieval 2 and its base mechanic. The mod itself is great.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 06, 2017, 10:45:57 am »

I agree. I tried to play the LOTR mod and just couldn't do it even though the mod is fantastic.

The terrible UI and especially those old controls just threw me off it.

A shame since I used to adore Medieval 2. Pretty sure I had over a thousand hours on it back in the days before Steam was a thing.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 06, 2017, 03:06:08 pm »

Same. 3rd age Total War was amazing.
Sucks that AAA games are getting so complex and hard to mod nowadays. It basically was half the life of the TW series.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 277