Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 489142 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2190 on: June 13, 2017, 02:54:51 am »

I'm still salty about the basic design failure where magic fails to scale with the unit sizes and the larger the unit size is, the weaker the single monster units are in comparison. Or the other way around with smaller unit size.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: June 14, 2017, 08:32:42 am »

I'll mention something extra I've read about the early adopter DLC bundled with Warhammer 2: Total War. Apparently, because this race-pack DLC is for a faction in the Old World, it will be available to play with before the release of Warhammer 2: Total War on September 28th.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: June 14, 2017, 08:23:25 pm »

I wonder what Total War Warhammer 2 will have as the "newbie" race.

On one hand, the High Elves would logically have an insane starting positing due to Ulthuan ruling the waves, but on the other hand, Lizardmen are hilariously killy from what fluff I know.

Dwarves made sense due to an insane economy and simple tactics in 1.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: June 14, 2017, 09:04:23 pm »

High Elves (I think) are the most 'balanced' faction, so they'll likely be it.
Dark Elves will be the mobility focus, Skaven will be hordes and Tech, and I'm hoping Lizardmen will be Beatsticks n' Co.

One thing which annoys me slightly is that Goblins, Skinks and Clanrats/Skavenslaves were kind of necessary parts of the old game, but the Total War games generally emphasize using only the most elite units, damn the cost.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: June 15, 2017, 12:52:24 am »

Basic undead are still usable as tarpits, although I admit I'd always replace them with grave guards in campaign on the long run. With empire, I'd keep a couple of shielded spearmen in armies.

It would be nice if basic skaven were free or replenished anywhere or something, so there'd be an incentive for them to use some as inexhaustible fodder.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: June 15, 2017, 01:54:18 am »

I do make a point of keeping more basic units in my armies. Make do with less and all that. I prefer a balanced army so I won't make one with 8 Greatswords, 8 Demi-gryph Knights and 4 Steamtanks.
Zombies as charge catches and Skeleton Warriors as cheap flankers. The only armies which I really replace all the basic units is Warriors of Chaos where all infantry ends up being about 2 units of each Chosen type (with slight differences based on lord). Mostly because Warriors of Chaos can't reinforce without suffering the attrition from nearby armies so the armies have to survive on their own.

I think the easiest faction in Warhammer 2 will be either Lizardmen or High Elves. High Elves because Ulthuan is an island and Lizardmen because I assume the jungles of Lustria will cause attrition like Athel Loren as well as their high leadership.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: June 15, 2017, 10:15:27 am »

Basic units are still very good. Empire, Vampires, Wood Elves and Brettonia all have no infantry shields in their high-tier units, and VCs also can use zombies to both tarpit and trigger the raise dead in the campaign map. Regular goblins for Greenskins are actually surprisingly good. As long as you can keep their leadership up, they can wreck a lot of units (anti-infantry ones are notable exceptions). Beastmen are stuck with shitty archers. Dwarfs and WoC are the only ones where you really should replace all your low-tier units.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: June 15, 2017, 11:52:51 am »

Basic units are still very good. Empire, Vampires, Wood Elves and Brettonia all have no infantry shields in their high-tier units, and VCs also can use zombies to both tarpit and trigger the raise dead in the campaign map. Regular goblins for Greenskins are actually surprisingly good. As long as you can keep their leadership up, they can wreck a lot of units (anti-infantry ones are notable exceptions). Beastmen are stuck with shitty archers. Dwarfs and WoC are the only ones where you really should replace all your low-tier units.
...But Vampires do have infantry shields in a high tier unit, Grave Guard.

And Brettonian Battle Pilgrims also have shields, and I think they're on par with Foot Squires?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: June 15, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »

...But Vampires do have infantry shields in a high tier unit, Grave Guard.

And Brettonian Battle Pilgrims also have shields, and I think they're on par with Foot Squires?
Yeah, I derped hard on those two. I think it's mostly that I prefer to invest into great weapon grave guard instead of regular ones.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: June 15, 2017, 02:43:41 pm »

My VC legendary campaign went like this:

1. Starting out, trying to get the best of everything. Game takes 200 turns just for me to try and even put a dent in Dwarfs. Let alone anyone else.

2. Gave up, just decided to spam the map with shitty armies of zombies and wolves everywhere. Literally gave no shits when entire armies died. Won the game 50 turns later. I think the only high tier army I had running around was Kemmler's immortal stack. Back when there wasn't a regen cap. Impossible to kill anything in that army.

I've always kinda had an affinity to giant blobs of units rather than a bunch of elites. It was the same in Shogun 2 and FotS too. Having an army of like 2000 ashigaru was way WAY WAY scarier than like 500 elite marines.

I still treasure my screenshots of me winning battles 1v3 just by running at them until they all died.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: June 15, 2017, 03:11:00 pm »

1. Starting out, trying to get the best of everything. Game takes 200 turns just for me to try and even put a dent in Dwarfs. Let alone anyone else.

2. Gave up, just decided to spam the map with shitty armies of zombies and wolves everywhere. Literally gave no shits when entire armies died. Won the game 50 turns later. I think the only high tier army I had running around was Kemmler's immortal stack. Back when there wasn't a regen cap. Impossible to kill anything in that army.

I've always kinda had an affinity to giant blobs of units rather than a bunch of elites. It was the same in Shogun 2 and FotS too. Having an army of like 2000 ashigaru was way WAY WAY scarier than like 500 elite marines.

I still treasure my screenshots of me winning battles 1v3 just by running at them until they all died.
My VH/VH vampire victory involved using Vlad with a bunch of zombies and skeletons for raise dead fodder, Isabella pretty much glued to him with an army featuring nothing but fliers and heroes (and even then, it was just like 10 units) and a solo vampire lord, also tagging along. Vampire goon squad can roll over pretty much everything.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:16:03 pm by Teneb »

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: June 15, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »

I wish I had stories like that.

Ah well. In a few months, TW2 comes out, so I can poke around there.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: June 15, 2017, 04:22:22 pm »

My VH/VH vampire victory involved using Vlad with a bunch of zombies and skeletons for raise dead fodder, Isabella pretty much glued to him with an army featuring nothing but fliers and heroes (and even then, it was just like 10 units) and a solo vampire lord, also tagging along. Vampire goon squad an roll over pretty much everything.
I need to try out that subfaction sometime. Still haven't tried it yet, though I've been meaning too.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: June 15, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »

My VH/VH vampire victory involved using Vlad with a bunch of zombies and skeletons for raise dead fodder, Isabella pretty much glued to him with an army featuring nothing but fliers and heroes (and even then, it was just like 10 units) and a solo vampire lord, also tagging along. Vampire goon squad can roll over pretty much everything.
I need to try out that subfaction sometime. Still haven't tried it yet, though I've been meaning too.
You can actually take West and East Sylvannia by turn 6 or so with that faction. Yes, on VH/VH.

The way I did it: Start with Vlad. Recruit Isabella, and have the two heroes join her. Raise dead with Vlad, move over to the Moot, raise dead again, loot and occupy (so you don't get attrition, plus replenishment) the settlement. Next turn recruit a generic VC, move Isabella over to Vlad and have him give her all the bats and vargheists, before marching towards Drakenhof and raising dead again. Rush over both Isabella and the VC to Drakenhof (use forced march if you got to) in the next turn before besieging with Vlad and assaulting right away. You'll probably need to fight it out personally, but you can pull it off as long as you indulge in Lord sniping with your Lore of Death vampire and the vargheists.

Once Drakenhof is yours, you'll probably had enough casualties in the siege to raise more than a bunch of zombies and the odd skeleton. Next turn you rush down Mannfred with the Three Amigos and take Drakenhof. After that it's just mop up.

Vlad and Isabella get crazy strong when on the same battle. If you got Grim & Grave, you should also recruit whatever RORs you unlock in the process.

After this mad rush you can probably blitz through the Empire running on nothing but raise dead, or even just wipe out Reikland and go grab the Border Princes and Brettonia for your wincon. You can even do it before Archaon shows up, getting you an instant win.

----

Currently doing a VH/VH Carcassone run, which is also my first real Brettonia run, and I've already managed to get 400 chivalry without leaving my starting province thanks to beastmen and low public order. I don't think CA anticipated this.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:28:27 pm by Teneb »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: June 15, 2017, 05:55:39 pm »

After this mad rush you can probably blitz through the Empire running on nothing but raise dead, or even just wipe out Reikland and go grab the Border Princes and Brettonia for your wincon. You can even do it before Archaon shows up, getting you an instant win.
I don't think it's possible to win without Mr. Flappy Bird showing up unless you mod the game.

Chaos is spawned based on time or Imperium levels, whichever comes first.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 277