Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491333 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2460 on: July 24, 2017, 01:09:33 am »

I'm sure I've confederated with Mousillon as the Vampire Counts but I feel like I was unable to confederate with the Vampire Counts as the Von Carsteins. It's been a while but I believe the option was there, the A.I. was just unwilling to accept it even with barely any forces and compensation.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 24, 2017, 02:23:00 pm »

I'm sure I've confederated with Mousillon as the Vampire Counts but I feel like I was unable to confederate with the Vampire Counts as the Von Carsteins. It's been a while but I believe the option was there, the A.I. was just unwilling to accept it even with barely any forces and compensation.
There's a strange issue with the diplomacy AI in Warhammer where if you get into any sort of alliance with them (defensive or full), they consider your units to be part of theirs and as such... won't confederate with you due to the "equivalent strength".

You really shouldn't be getting into alliances with anyone anyway. They serve almost no purpose in this game. The AI has no clue what alliances do, will break them constantly, will backstab you (I actually like this part), won't honor military actions, etc.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: July 24, 2017, 02:44:09 pm »

There's a strange issue with the diplomacy AI in Warhammer where if you get into any sort of alliance with them (defensive or full), they consider your units to be part of theirs and as such... won't confederate with you due to the "equivalent strength".

You really shouldn't be getting into alliances with anyone anyway. They serve almost no purpose in this game. The AI has no clue what alliances do, will break them constantly, will backstab you (I actually like this part), won't honor military actions, etc.
Really? I've had them be pretty reliable, myself, but I do play Dwarves.

Also winning a big victory's a good time to try a confed, the AI seems to notice "Holy shit, that's badass, let me join the badasses!"

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: July 24, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »

Also winning a big victory's a good time to try a confed, the AI seems to notice "Holy shit, that's badass, let me join the badasses!"

Oddly, I've seen the opposite; the AI seems most willing to confederate after they've been smashed in the face, or otherwise feel nervous about their situation. My Empire campaign had me confederate Stirland after they overextended into Ostermark and were threatened by Averland, then confederate Middenland after they lost most of their army conquering Brass Keep and were about to lose their capital to Hochland's 20-stack. Both times, my confederation partner had a weaker army than another faction they were at war with.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: July 24, 2017, 06:57:19 pm »

Oddly, I've seen the opposite; the AI seems most willing to confederate after they've been smashed in the face, or otherwise feel nervous about their situation. My Empire campaign had me confederate Stirland after they overextended into Ostermark and were threatened by Averland, then confederate Middenland after they lost most of their army conquering Brass Keep and were about to lose their capital to Hochland's 20-stack. Both times, my confederation partner had a weaker army than another faction they were at war with.
No, after you win a big victory, that's a good time. When they win a big victory, not so much.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:53 pm »

I started playing a gacha-type Android game recently called Fate Grand Order.

To those who don't know, it's a kind of game where gambling is inherently built into the game itself, where you are... hmm... HEAVILY incentivized to P2W. In fact, it's so RNG and lootboxy that I can see why Valve themselves think they're being kinda tame. Because compared to gacha games, holy shit, they're tame as hell.

The reason I bring this up is simply to be thankful that while our PC games and Total War is infested with DLC these days... at least they're not gacha-game bad.

I'll use this specific game to illustrate why:

1. This game is about using RNG lootbox dropped characters to fight PVE battles. Free money is limited to low-tier characters while premium money gets you the good shit.
2. The game also dripfeeds you premium money so you can do rolls every once in awhile.
3. The drop rate for a 5-star character (the popular ones) is 1%.
4. This does not include the drop rate for your specific character that you want, which depends entirely on how many other characters of that rank are in the pool (aka, the longer you wait, the worse it gets).
5. What this means is that the game has an abysmally small chance of giving you shit you want and even if you pay for the rolls, the chance is still incredibly miniscule.
6. It costs US$15 for a set of 10 rolls.

So what ends up happening is you get a whole bunch of whales who pay $8500 or $7000 to get a single character. For a mobile game.

But you might think, meh, whales are whales. They can pay shittonnes of money so let them. But at the same time, you look at the Youtube lets plays of people playing and the online discussions and everything is just rife with people throwing shittonnes of money at the game. Hundreds of dollars each. Hundreds! People putting aside $50 a month to play this mobile game that honestly isn't even that good and is completely designed to be addictive in every single way. I could sorta understand it in MMOs, as there's shittonnes of content to update and stuff, but here... there's fucking nothing. It's just some 2D art with some good voice acting and nothing else.

It's nuts. Shit is crazy in mobile gaming land. How can people justify this? It's like watching drug addicts constantly throwing away money at completely no purpose. The people behind these gacha-games must laugh at their insane profit margins. Why would anyone want to make games for any other platform when you can make pseudo-gambling sites that don't even give you real money back like real-gambling sites and rake in millions.

----

I only hope this kind of insanity does not enter our PC gaming world, even if Valve, 2K, and Square Enix really want it to be.

Can you imagine if you had to pay $3800 to have a 99% chance of being able to play Vlad von Carstein in Total War? (Also you need to throw in another 5x that amount as you need to roll him 5x to merge them and power him up to max level).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: July 24, 2017, 10:19:03 pm »

I started playing a gacha-type Android game recently called Fate Grand Order.

To those who don't know, it's a kind of game where gambling is inherently built into the game itself, where you are... hmm... HEAVILY incentivized to P2W. In fact, it's so RNG and lootboxy that I can see why Valve themselves think they're being kinda tame. Because compared to gacha games, holy shit, they're tame as hell.

The reason I bring this up is simply to be thankful that while our PC games and Total War is infested with DLC these days... at least they're not gacha-game bad.

I'll use this specific game to illustrate why:

1. This game is about using RNG lootbox dropped characters to fight PVE battles. Free money is limited to low-tier characters while premium money gets you the good shit.
2. The game also dripfeeds you premium money so you can do rolls every once in awhile.
3. The drop rate for a 5-star character (the popular ones) is 1%.
4. This does not include the drop rate for your specific character that you want, which depends entirely on how many other characters of that rank are in the pool (aka, the longer you wait, the worse it gets).
5. What this means is that the game has an abysmally small chance of giving you shit you want and even if you pay for the rolls, the chance is still incredibly miniscule.
6. It costs US$15 for a set of 10 rolls.

So what ends up happening is you get a whole bunch of whales who pay $8500 or $7000 to get a single character. For a mobile game.

But you might think, meh, whales are whales. They can pay shittonnes of money so let them. But at the same time, you look at the Youtube lets plays of people playing and the online discussions and everything is just rife with people throwing shittonnes of money at the game. Hundreds of dollars each. Hundreds! People putting aside $50 a month to play this mobile game that honestly isn't even that good and is completely designed to be addictive in every single way. I could sorta understand it in MMOs, as there's shittonnes of content to update and stuff, but here... there's fucking nothing. It's just some 2D art with some good voice acting and nothing else.

It's nuts. Shit is crazy in mobile gaming land. How can people justify this? It's like watching drug addicts constantly throwing away money at completely no purpose. The people behind these gacha-games must laugh at their insane profit margins. Why would anyone want to make games for any other platform when you can make pseudo-gambling sites that don't even give you real money back like real-gambling sites and rake in millions.

----

I only hope this kind of insanity does not enter our PC gaming world, even if Valve, 2K, and Square Enix really want it to be.

Can you imagine if you had to pay $3800 to have a 99% chance of being able to play Vlad von Carstein in Total War? (Also you need to throw in another 5x that amount as you need to roll him 5x to merge them and power him up to max level).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As someone who also started playing it recently, you need to do the quests, getting Saint Quartz is dead easy ingame.

No RL money required, just progressing.

Though I'm not sure this is realllyyyy relevant.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: July 25, 2017, 01:03:21 am »

I'm pretty sensitive to those schemes as well. Best advice I can give you is to uninstall the game. You won't really miss it as it's probably not even that fun to play, but there's probably some goal you're working towards.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: July 25, 2017, 06:37:59 am »

I've only had success with confederations when I've been allied with the target for a bit and then they are under attack from another state.

I also have to take back my previous statements about the game, they where too early judgements and I'm having lots of more fun now. Still annoying that there's no way to lure the enemy out of their cities and that that is where they hang out 99.9% of the time, though.
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: July 25, 2017, 06:57:08 am »

Agreed. That is an absolute pain
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: July 25, 2017, 07:09:54 am »

You can sometimes lure them out by hiding all your troops in ambush, making your towns look undefended.

But yeah, the turtling tendencies of the AI can get a bit tedious.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: July 25, 2017, 07:11:28 am »

I miss the pitched siege defences from previous games as well. AI never assaults now unless they have absolutely overwhelming force. Assaulting yourself is, on the other hand, boring due to the siege changes. So I tend to just autoresolve all sieges.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: July 25, 2017, 07:34:44 am »

Well I guess a smart AI never would, but yes it is boring.
I do enjoy when they think they have an overwhelming force though.
My Kharaz a Karak garrison was I think at gold exp at some point.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: July 25, 2017, 07:55:24 am »

I had the kind of same experience with my stationed Mootland army. Mannfred kept sending full stacks at it, and every time the autoresolve showed full yellow, so I just kept auto-resolvingvmy way to victory and then picked off the remaining stack the next turn.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 277