Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83245 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:37 am »

I have yet to finish the WOT series. I started reading it back in 2001, and I was up to Crossroads of twilight I think, when it came out. But now it's been so long that I'd have to start at the beggining, and the thought of that is daunting as all hell.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2015, 11:55:06 pm »

I have yet to finish the WOT series. I started reading it back in 2001, and I was up to Crossroads of twilight I think, when it came out. But now it's been so long that I'd have to start at the beggining, and the thought of that is daunting as all hell.

I tried to start the WoT books from the beginning a year or two ago and I just... I couldn't do it. How I managed to read them the first time I don't know, I honestly have no idea. I like to read, but it's just too much.

I almost feel like just reading a plot summery for all the previous books then checking the final one out from the library just to finish it up - I remember most of the later ones ones seemed to drag on forever and much nothing ever happened anyway.

(IIRC the last one I read was path of daggers)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2015, 04:28:10 am »

I've now finsished both Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. To be honest I was kinda dissapointed with the first one but the second was a near perfect book in my opinion, I have high hopes for A Storm of Swords!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »

I've now finsished both Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. To be honest I was kinda dissapointed with the first one but the second was a near perfect book in my opinion, I have high hopes for A Storm of Swords!

Yeah, GoT was definitely a "calm before the storm" kind of book. Storm of Swords is pretty cool. Plus you can block some lower caliber bullets with it.

I'm like ~300 pages into A Dance of Dragons. Its good, but I miss my favourite characters from Feast of Crows who haven't appeared yet.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2015, 08:13:28 pm »

Just finished A Memory of Light last night. It was bloody wonderful. I'm now reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War and my parents have said that I can finally start reading Game of Thrones.

* Arcvasti high fives fellow AMOL reader

The Last Battle chapter was larger then some books I've seen. Definitely an awesome conclusion to an awesome series. I'm so glad they decided to end with the same sentence they used to start all the books.

I don't know how I didn't see that coming. Still, it was awesome.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:08 pm »

I tried to start the WoT books from the beginning a year or two ago and I just... I couldn't do it. How I managed to read them the first time I don't know, I honestly have no idea. I like to read, but it's just too much.

I almost feel like just reading a plot summery for all the previous books then checking the final one out from the library just to finish it up - I remember most of the later ones ones seemed to drag on forever and much nothing ever happened anyway.

(IIRC the last one I read was path of daggers)

The last few books are really good. It gets a bit boring right before that, but it does eventually get interesting.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2015, 02:31:12 am »

Rereading the ASOIAF series again for the third time ,and so far it has been a different experience then the last two times.  :P

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2015, 02:04:54 am »

Found an HP Lovecraft story I hadn't read yet. "Pickman's Model"

The descriptions of the various paintings makes me want to try drawing some of it. Was also fun to do some research on various historical figures mentioned in the story, mostly the painters. All in all an excellent reading experience for 1:00 at night.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2015, 02:57:02 am »

Is reading HP Lovecraft worth it?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2015, 02:59:55 am »

Most recently I read Starship Troopers.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2015, 08:43:31 am »

Reading "The Promise", the first of the Avatar graphic novels. So far they've done an amazing job at keeping the art and the voice of the show.
Also planning on rereading the "Night Angel" Trilogy by Brent Weeks, amazing books. Also need to get up to date on his Lightbringer series. I love the magic in that setting.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2015, 09:40:22 am »

Depends on the story. Some are well paced and gripping, others get kinda dry at places as Lovecraft goes a bit too far with describing architecture or his love for New England.

It's like an acquired taste. You get used to his writing style after a while. There's some great stories I think make it worth trying though. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Rats in the Walls, Cold Air, the Hound, the Outsider, the Color Out of Space, the Tomb, etc.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2015, 02:28:36 pm »

Depends on the story. Some are well paced and gripping, others get kinda dry at places as Lovecraft goes a bit too far with describing architecture or his love for New England.

I rather enjoyed Lovecraft, personally. Most of them weren't especially terrifying, but they're well-written regardless. Its even better with a drinking game:

Also, finished A Dance with Dragons a few days ago.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2015, 03:04:28 pm »

I rather enjoyed Lovecraft, personally. Most of them weren't especially terrifying, but they're well-written regardless. Its even better with a drinking game:

You'd get drunk. Or dead from alcohol poisoning.  :P

And yeah, I also enjoy Lovecraft, not saying it isn't enjoyable, but it can be pretty dense for readers who aren't familiar with his writing style and don't know what to expect.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2015, 04:39:15 pm »

I've just read Call of Cuthulhu. Wasn't quite what I was expecting but it was pretty good nonetheless.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 58