Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83238 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #600 on: April 27, 2017, 01:44:32 am »

I'm currently reading Moby Dick, because, uh, reasons.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 27, 2017, 08:33:32 am »

I have been reading Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake and it is excellent so far, but unfortunately I've gotten out of the habit of reading whilst on the toilet so progress is terribly slow. I need to go on some more long train rides or something- or just start reading more often in my spare time, preferably.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 27, 2017, 04:42:57 pm »

A little less than halfway through A Dance with Dragons (as of writing this post, I last left off at the part where [Tyrion meets Jorah at the brothel.]) A Storm of Swords was definitely the best book, but the series is golden anyway (the constant back-to-back Jaime/Cersei chapters in AFFC are probably the only thing that slowed down my reading.)

My only complaints with ADWD so far are that Tyrion doesn't ask where whores go nearly enough, and [Theon's] chapters could use a lot more disturbing BDSM in them :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 29, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »

I've been reading the Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs once again. I just finished Princess of Mars and am now on Gods of Mars.

I have no idea how I missed all the race and religion messages in Gods. It is so obvious and yet it went totally over my head the first time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 05, 2017, 10:31:26 am »

I read through Demian, by Hermann Hesse. I really liked it, it's about a young man's spiritual awakening, and his acceptance of himself as someone that just doesn't fit into the norms of society. I've been on a bit of a binge on Hermann lately, I just love how deeply introspective his characters are, and I love the spiritual and psychological themes of the books, even if he goes a bit too far out of his way to be certain to describe every characters' lips, however relevant or irrelevant.

Next up on the Hermann-o-rama: Narcissus and Goldmund.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 06, 2017, 01:21:53 pm »

Had an hour to kill, so I got Watchmen and started reading. It's really good and I'm glad I'm not spoiled on it. I'm a big fan of ultra-edgy superhero stuff.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 16, 2017, 01:53:06 pm »

I've been reading the Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs once again. I just finished Princess of Mars and am now on Gods of Mars.

I have no idea how I missed all the race and religion messages in Gods. It is so obvious and yet it went totally over my head the first time.
I remember reading Princess of Mars, I still find it hilarious that hte protagonist and literally everyone in the book were naked.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 16, 2017, 02:54:32 pm »

Just finished The Wind-Up Girl for a class. I heartily recommend it. Great climax, setting, and the didacticism isn't terrible.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 17, 2017, 12:23:11 am »

I remember reading Princess of Mars, I still find it hilarious that hte protagonist and literally everyone in the book were naked.

Huh. That would have made the latter two books much more interesting to think about. Those can be summarized by "Then John did everything perfectly because he's just so cool and awesome."

I read Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. It's a collection of essays, and some of the essays are much better than others. It starts out as a slice-of-life kind of thing, then quickly turns into black comedy as it discusses pet death, failing as a teacher, stupid fancy food, and wishing that somebody would fall to their death so the author could tell a more interesting story later.

It does that frustrating thing collections do where the second half of the essays start to evolve a continuing narrative, but then it all just ends on a random note. It was consistently okay all the way through, but never really set my hair on fire. Check it out if you are utterly bored and have no idea what to read next.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 17, 2017, 08:44:07 am »

re: David Sedaris, I've not read his written works, but I'm very impressed with his live readings  that I have heard.  None currently available (and may be subject to virtual geofencing for access) but tends to come round again and again on Radio 4 and Radio 4Extra and I never tire of hearing his own words through his own delivery (in the manner of a literary Bob Dylan, you might say).

If I ever pick up find his books, my internal voice for the textual perusal is already going to be set in stone.  ;)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 17, 2017, 09:03:40 am »

Worm is very good.

I'm re-reading the Stormlight Archives. One of these days, Sanderson will publish book three.

This fall. November 14th, according to Amazon. And they better deliver it on time to my Kindle
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 17, 2017, 09:11:21 am »

I just finished reading Three Body Problem which is a pretty cool science fiction, though I personally don't find it as much of a blockbuster as most people seem to think in retrospect. I'm also currently almost done with Moby Dick and I hate this book yet I don't want to give up.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 17, 2017, 02:37:02 pm »

I'm also currently almost done with Moby Dick and I hate this book yet I don't want to give up.

That seems fitting.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 17, 2017, 06:46:49 pm »

I'm also currently almost done with Moby Dick and I hate this book yet I don't want to give up.

That seems fitting.

+1
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #614 on: June 17, 2017, 07:57:43 pm »

I've been reading Wheel of Time and The Eye of the World is so fucking boring. I'm like a quarter of the way through and nothing compelling has happened so far. I was led to believe this was some kind of weird martial arts magic fantasy series but so far it's super generic and there's not a single character I'm digging so far.

Nearly done with it and Tank! is a pretty good WW2 memoir once it gets going. Reading about this guy's combat experiences is pretty dang interesting.

So far Inferno is basically a WW2 history book entirely made up of anecdotes, but it tries to balance it out a little with a historian's perspective. Interesting if you want to know what people on various believed at different points in the war.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:05:25 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 58