I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582248 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1590 on: April 06, 2015, 09:30:14 pm »

I was a Church of Ireland Protestant. Essentially, Anglican. Small country parish, very traditional.

The minister had a doctorate in theology, but his ideas seemed stale to me, and though I never talked in depth (one does not argue against God to one of the clergy) I got the idea he was stuck in a bit of a religious rut as it were. He'd parroted the same things so much he'd become firmly set in his views. No flexibility. Same goes for most clergy, though.
My church sets a theme each year, and my pastor has several series that match with that theme. For example, this year's theme is how we are supposed to love all people, especially those who are different. Our most recent series are how the Bible tells us to love different races, and the series before was how to love people of different religions. (both very hard to do)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 06, 2015, 09:42:59 pm »

There is at least as much cause to be killing other non-Christians in the bible. Are you ever taught that  :P

Whilst I joke, it is also interesting how often the rosy coloured things are preached, hut not the black. Unless, of course, the preacher wants the black to be spread. "God hates fags"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 06, 2015, 09:46:09 pm »

love people of different religions. (both very hard to do)
I dunno. It's only so hard, I think, because the same religion says that those different-religion'd people are going to hell/heretics/evil/wrong/temptation/etc. Kind of sets them up as hard to love by itself.

Race thing also isn't that hard, but it's not quite the same thing being ironically-made-hard by the same religion telling you to love them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: April 06, 2015, 09:52:25 pm »

There is at least as much cause to be killing other non-Christians in the bible. Are you ever taught that  :P

Whilst I joke, it is also interesting how often the rosy coloured things are preached, hut not the black. Unless, of course, the preacher wants the black to be spread. "God hates fags"
Yes, the bible has several instances of God ordering the deaths of many non-christians. However, those people had disobeyed God for centuries, and they didn't turn to him. Even though they most likely heard about the Israelites. (Rehab heard about the Israelites when they crossed the Red Sea, so it is reasonable to assume the others did)  Even if they had never heard about God their entire life. The bible says:

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1594 on: April 06, 2015, 09:55:20 pm »

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."
inb4 atheist circlejerk
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 06, 2015, 09:56:41 pm »

inb4 atheist circlejerk
I left that out on purpose. Trying not to offend anyone.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 06, 2015, 09:59:02 pm »

So... why should you not do the same now? Infidels who have heard the word are everywhere.

Also, that quote sound like the design argument. Seems to me that if god's divinity is seen in creation, so too must his evilness be seen in it too. It's either believe God has evil in him, or believe such arguments are pot, IMO.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 06, 2015, 10:02:33 pm »

God has his own personality. He can become Angry. The old testament often speaks of the wrath of God. This does not make him evil. His wrath was satisfied by Jesus' death on the cross.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1598 on: April 06, 2015, 10:03:46 pm »

Most people consider sacrificing your son to yourself to be pretty evil.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 06, 2015, 10:05:18 pm »

SALIGIA. The seven deadly sins, a pneumonic by Pope Gregory.

One of them is anger.

Also, II, pick a side already!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 06, 2015, 10:05:27 pm »

Most people believe raising him back from the dead to be pretty not-evil. Also, Jesus did this of his own free will.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 06, 2015, 10:07:37 pm »

... Ehhhhhhh... God's pretty evil, mate. Biblically and via creation. Worlds kind of shitty and in lots of evil ways. Disease (and the really horrid ones, like worms in your veins and eyeballs, or your muscles and skin literally turning to bone, trapping you in a cage of your own tissues), natural disasters, 99.99999999% of the universe being inhospitable to life as we know it (human life especially), the favoritism of a tiny tribe in a backwater region that's only redeeming resource wouldn't be relevant for thousands of years (and even then, Israel doesn't have much oil if any :P)

He's kind of a wonky dude. If not evil, not exactly "father knows best" good. I'd steer clear if I heard of an actual person with his track-record.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 06, 2015, 10:08:32 pm »

When he was dragged off by guards? Not fighting them was as far as he went.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 06, 2015, 10:12:11 pm »

... Ehhhhhhh... God's pretty evil, mate. Biblically and via creation. Worlds kind of shitty and in lots of evil ways. Disease (and the really horrid ones, like worms in your veins and eyeballs, or your muscles and skin literally turning to bone, trapping you in a cage of your own tissues), natural disasters, 99.99999999% of the universe being inhospitable to life as we know it (human life especially), the favoritism of a tiny tribe in a backwater region that's only redeeming resource wouldn't be relevant for thousands of years (and even then, Israel doesn't have much oil if any :P)

He's kind of a wonky dude. If not evil, not exactly "father knows best" good. I'd steer clear if I heard of an actual person with his track-record.
That is all mankind fault. If you want to point fingers, you can blame Eve, but we all have sinned. There was no disease, death, or pain before that.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1604 on: April 06, 2015, 10:13:37 pm »

Eh. Anger isn't sinful in and of itself. It depends on what you're angry about. Jesus got pretty angry at the merchants and moneychangers in the temple, for example. God has no problem with people being angry about sin, and because sin is disobeying God, God is justified in getting angry at people disobeying him, because he's the one who decides what's right and wrong. You get the idea.

Also, II, pick a side already!
I am become Italy.

favoritism of a tiny tribe in a backwater region
There's a few verses bobbing around about how not all Israel is Israel. That is, God's chosen people is not the nation/group/whatever called Israel, but there's a lot of overlap.
Also, it was twelve tiny tribes.

That is all mankind fault. If you want to point fingers, you can blame Eve, but we all have sinned. There was no disease, death, or pain before that.
I blame Satan.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 521