I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582342 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3210 on: November 07, 2015, 10:41:32 am »

if you buy something on Sunday (a sin)

...they actually teach that? Wow. (I can think of no reasonable justification for that being a sin).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: November 07, 2015, 10:54:31 am »

Well, you are forcing someone to work on their supposed holy day off. Stores wouldn't be open if you weren't there. Then again, clergy work on the sabbath, too, so I don't know what that says about them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: November 07, 2015, 10:59:20 am »

About
The church I still get dragged to believes that any sin you commit can and will send you to eternal burning torment.

I wonder what kind of church that is, as that is directly ignoring Matthew 12:31 and the extent of God's mercy regarding sinners, especially considering everyone has faults of their own.

And even regarding that specific unforgivable sin, on the cross the Christ prayed God to forgive those because they didn't knew what they were doing.

Meaning that very likely only those that commit this specific sin while knowing what they are doing aren't going to recieve the mercy, of course unless God gives them so, as whatever man says, it's all in God's judgement in the end.

Is this mercy for sinners going after a time of "soul cleansing" in some kind of "fire" or before, avoiding it, it's not mentionned.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: November 07, 2015, 11:03:38 am »

Orthodox church considers sinful talking without serious reason especially telling jokes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3214 on: November 07, 2015, 11:04:04 am »

Well, you are forcing someone to work on their supposed holy day off. Stores wouldn't be open if you weren't there. Then again, clergy work on the sabbath, too, so I don't know what that says about them.

It's not a sin to work on the Sabbath, though. As far as I can tell, it's just conservatives pushing their own agendas under the guise of religion (as usual).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: November 07, 2015, 11:07:32 am »

...rewriting history? Not following sola scriptura isn't rewriting history.
Well I mean you're taking something that's meant to be absolute truth and then changing your mind and saying actually it isn't. I don't know what else you'd call that.

And last, you don't see the difference between not believing in Jesus and choosing to worship the Beast? You can see no difference at all?
Of course I see the difference, but that doesn't mean that Christian doctrine does. What I picked up from the people I'd consider to be authorities (teachers at a religious school, the canon who lead services in my local church, and probably some other people) it doesn't matter if you're literally Hitler or you just had lustful thoughts for someone you're not married to; the only thing that matters when it comes to your judgement is whether or not you've looked for forgiveness in Jesus. Anything else is irrelevant because you're stuck with original sin regardless.

It's not a sin to work on the Sabbath, though. As far as I can tell, it's just conservatives pushing their own agendas under the guise of religion (as usual).
16 Tyrians also, who lived in the city, brought in fish and all kinds of goods and sold them on the Sabbath to the people of Judah, in Jerusalem itself! 17 Then I confronted the nobles of Judah and said to them, “What is this evil thing that you are doing, profaning the Sabbath day?
That one I am almost certain is a real thing, rather than an interpretation. Then again I think Jesus said at some point that it's okay to do work on the Sabbath so long as it's also a good thing. This one.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:12:50 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3216 on: November 07, 2015, 11:18:01 am »

Well I mean you're taking something that's meant to be absolute truth and then changing your mind and saying actually it isn't. I don't know what else you'd call that.

It's really really weird how deeply ingrained sola scriptura is even among the areligious folks here.

And last, you don't see the difference between not believing in Jesus and choosing to worship the Beast? You can see no difference at all?
Of course I see the difference, but that doesn't mean that Christian doctrine does. What I picked up from the people I'd consider to be authorities (teachers at a religious school, the canon who lead services in my local church, and probably some other people) it doesn't matter if you're literally Hitler or you just had lustful thoughts for someone you're not married to; the only thing that matters when it comes to your judgement is whether or not you've looked for forgiveness in Jesus. Anything else is irrelevant because you're stuck with original sin regardless.

Yes. However, either that's special-cased for Revelation or Revelation is wrong, so my point stands.

16 Tyrians also, who lived in the city, brought in fish and all kinds of goods and sold them on the Sabbath to the people of Judah, in Jerusalem itself! 17 Then I confronted the nobles of Judah and said to them, “What is this evil thing that you are doing, profaning the Sabbath day?
That one I am almost certain is a real thing, rather than an interpretation. Then again I think Jesus said at some point that it's okay to do work on the Sabbath so long as it's also a good thing. This one.

That, and the thing that I am forever referencing:

Quote from: Acts 15
28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29 You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.

So unless you're Jewish, you're A-okay.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: November 07, 2015, 11:24:53 am »

It's really really weird how deeply ingrained sola scriptura is even among the areligious folks here.
Yeah, some folks gave a couple good examples of what I meant. Seriously though: The bible was put together at some point during the fourth or so century, hundreds of years after Jesus and all his contemporaries had died. And what went in and what stayed out was decided by majority vote! How can the bible be a higher authority than the Church if the Church decided the bible's content in the first place?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: November 07, 2015, 11:27:07 am »

Because the Bible is inerrant, so god wouldn't have allowed them to make any mistakes, because god's word is perfect, as stated in the Bible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:27 am »

- That's circular logic.
- If God doesn't let the Church make mistakes, how can the Church make mistakes today?
- Who says that God's commandments stay the same over time? Surely different times and different societies call for different commandments...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: November 07, 2015, 11:34:59 am »

-I know, I'm not arguing in favor of Christianity, but that is literally the accepted theology. I mean, hell, you had Dwarfy explicitly supporting Divine Command Theory just a couple of pages ago.
-The Church can make as many mistakes as it wants, just not regarding God's doctrine, hence why the Pope may speak infallibly on such matters and why those who confess a different belief are heretics.
-God's commandments cannot change because that would imply that God had changed his mind, if God changes his mind it exposes God as not omniscient, which we know must be impossible since God's word is perfect.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: November 07, 2015, 11:40:01 am »

- That's circular logic.
This is the religion thread

If God doesn't let the Church make mistakes, how can the Church make mistakes today?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe they don't make mistakes.

Who says that God's commandments stay the same over time? Surely different times and different societies call for different commandments...
Because we haven't had any big-time prophets in a thousand and a bit years.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: November 07, 2015, 11:41:35 am »

Okay first off, it's kinda funny to see Christians arguing against the Bible and the circular logic of it attesting to its own infallibility :P  We've come a long way.

It actually makes perfect sense, though.  The Christians here seem to almost entirely be freethinkers, skeptics.  That's a really good thing.  It makes it hard to attack their beliefs, but also makes it unnecessary.  I think it's fine for someone to believe in God (or fairies, like I do).  It's only a problem when people get caught up in doctrines which make them do bad things.  And (almost) no one here is like that.  Also, atheists get caught up in doctrines too...  There are differences but still.

So it's frustrating because "How am I supposed to win an argument against this person, when their faith is self-sourced and it's hard to tell what specific things they believe in?".  Compared to making a case against a Bible literalist, which is easy and kinda played out.

I say that knowing there's at least one Bible literalist here, which maybe is another reason why atheists keep making arguments against the literal Bible.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3223 on: November 07, 2015, 11:45:10 am »

Okay first off, it's kinda funny to see Christians arguing against the Bible and the circular logic of it attesting to its own infallibility :P  We've come a long way.

I just have to check, you don't mean Helgo do you? Because I'm pretty sure he's an atheist on some level (although I could be wrong!).

It's certainly true that we have lots of free thinkers here. I'm certainly a heretic for multiple reasons, at least according to the Roman Catholic Church :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: November 07, 2015, 12:14:48 pm »

I think Helgo is some kind of Catholic agnostic or something.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 521