I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582310 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: I am Enlightened by my Euphoria
« Reply #4260 on: December 28, 2015, 02:50:15 pm »

Why I don't believe any of them is the same reason I don't believe in fairy tales. It has nothing to do with what other people do or don't believe. Religion is just a form of Little Red Riding Hood that's believed to me.
Actually, the reason you don’t believe in fairy tales is probably because believing in fairy tales gets you socially ostricised. I don’t think anybody here ever ran through the Little Red Riding Hood story to find the indescrepancies. First, it wasn’t taught to you as a fact, and, second, you sure as hell wouldn’t start believing it later due to the social punishment you’d get for it. Yeah, maybe if it was taught to you as a fact and it was considered okay to believe it, you might have later in life worked through it and found it lacking, but then it’d be analogous to religion and you wouldn’t be able to just outright dismiss it.

When you say “Religion is ridiculous,” you’re just telling us that it’s worthy of ridicule. Maybe that works for less popular but still widespread beliefs (especially if you’re of a higher social class so people have more incentive to be seen agreeing with you), but religion seems to be too popular and entrenched for ridicule to work if you want to get rid of it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4261 on: December 28, 2015, 02:56:20 pm »

My point is that if anyone's belief in, say, Christianity is brought about by their society, then your disbelief in, say, Christianity must comparably be brought about by your society.

This raises the issue that either you're a hypocrite/your argument is wrong or your argument is actually not so much an argument as an 'I say these must be false because they must be false', which I don't begrudge you, but isn't the same as, say, the problem of evil and an omnimax God.

I think. I'm tired and I'm struggling to phrase this, which almost certainly means I don't understand my argument well enough and it has holes in it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: December 28, 2015, 03:01:37 pm »

...I'm just gonna point out that 'your philosophy is about as valid as children's stories' is more or less being opposed to religion. At least, that's the message that comes across when you put it that way.

Second, your objections are rather moot. If we applied them to science (as publication bias and experimental inaccuracy could mean we're actually totally off); scientific consensus? Just the results most people want. Organized proponents of a theory, rather than muddled and disorganized? Just had more time. Respectability; Freud was respectable in his time! Intellectual accomplishment is what this measures in the first place, so it's even less applicable as a positive factor.

Your argument presupposes that religion is false, and what's more, the logic you use proves too much. Science is the practice of making belief conform to reality. Belief in god is rather different, if merely for the fact that many intelligent people believe in and feel they have good reasons to do so. Something which exists is inherently distinct from something which does not exist. This applies to belief systems as well; you can tell a lot about a belief by the fact that it isn't [commonly] held.

The reason I don't believe in fairy tales (currently) is because they were intentionally created as fictional stories (usually) for misbehaving children. They would also have very little impact on my life if they turned out to be true. The reason I don't believe in a certain type of God is because it is logically inconsistent with itself. The reason I don't generally believe in any spirits is because there is no evidence for them.

But the Shroud of Turin is a thing. There are historical accounts about Jesus. I don't believe that the miracles that are claimed to have happened, happened that way(distortions in the tellings &etc.), but I do believe that saying 'they're just deluded' is a terrible way to discuss your opponent's viewpoints. 'They want to believe it, so they find a way to' may or may not be true. But using it as the basis for your argument, which is essentially what you seem to be doing, is not a good practice. You've just equated religion to fairy tales. Both may be considered superstitions, yes, but you haven't given actual reasons. Just said that they're the same reasons. That's why it isn't helpful. You're not discussing anything. You're dismissing it. Or at least, that's what it appears that you're doing.

Everyone else is more concise than I am   :-\
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: December 28, 2015, 03:57:07 pm »

Why I don't believe any of them is the same reason I don't believe in fairy tales. It has nothing to do with what other people do or don't believe. Religion is just a form of Little Red Riding Hood that's believed to me.
Actually, the reason you don’t believe in fairy tales is probably because believing in fairy tales gets you socially ostricised. I don’t think anybody here ever ran through the Little Red Riding Hood story to find the indescrepancies. First, it wasn’t taught to you as a fact, and, second, you sure as hell wouldn’t start believing it later due to the social punishment you’d get for it. Yeah, maybe if it was taught to you as a fact and it was considered okay to believe it, you might have later in life worked through it and found it lacking, but then it’d be analogous to religion and you wouldn’t be able to just outright dismiss it.

When you say “Religion is ridiculous,” you’re just telling us that it’s worthy of ridicule. Maybe that works for less popular but still widespread beliefs (especially if you’re of a higher social class so people have more incentive to be seen agreeing with you), but religion seems to be too popular and entrenched for ridicule to work if you want to get rid of it.
As I said, I don't want to get rid of it. People can do as they please in regard to what faith they follow, and it doesn't faze me so long as it doesn't become damaging to any sizeable degree.

Actually, the reason you don’t believe in fairy tales is probably because believing in fairy tales gets you socially ostricised.
I doubt it. If I were really concerned about that, then I wouldn't be an atheist. You're right in that an added factor is that I wasn't told throughout that it was real, but rather was told on many occasions it was false. And that's part of my point - that's one of the key differences between mythology/fairy tale and religion. I also don't believe in it because to do so would require believing in it when the events recorded therein are contrary to every thing I can observe. Both fairy tales and religion carry verification of themselves almost exclusively within themselves.

---

My point is that if anyone's belief in, say, Christianity is brought about by their society, then your disbelief in, say, Christianity must comparably be brought about by your society.

This raises the issue that either you're a hypocrite/your argument is wrong or your argument is actually not so much an argument as an 'I say these must be false because they must be false', which I don't begrudge you, but isn't the same as, say, the problem of evil and an omnimax God.

I think. I'm tired and I'm struggling to phrase this, which almost certainly means I don't understand my argument well enough and it has holes in it.
Society encourages belief in Christianity. It is beaten into people from birth, and whilst not exactly comparable to propaganda, it is similar. Atheism is not based on societal pressure - I only know one other atheist, and him for only a year. Similarly, I did not become an atheist because I wanted to be contrary to society. Belief coming about as a result of societal pressure is part of my argument (it's how it's perpetuated. If your parents, Sunday School, and everything to do with Christianity didn't exist and you stumbled on a Bible, you would most likely see it as fantasy on par with Homer's works. And if you felt you had to believe one, you could just as easily be praying to Pallas Athene rather than God.) How is disbelief perpetuated by society? Though I just may not be understanding your argument.

----
...I'm just gonna point out that 'your philosophy is about as valid as children's stories' is more or less being opposed to religion. At least, that's the message that comes across when you put it that way.
Opposed to religion would be Richard Dawkins trying to enforce his beliefs. I am accepting enough of religion as a social phenomenon, I just don't buy into it. That it's as valid as a story book is just one of the reasons.
Second, your objections are rather moot. If we applied them to science (as publication bias and experimental inaccuracy could mean we're actually totally off); scientific consensus? Just the results most people want. Organized proponents of a theory, rather than muddled and disorganized? Just had more time. Respectability; Freud was respectable in his time! Intellectual accomplishment is what this measures in the first place, so it's even less applicable as a positive factor.
Science may be influenced by want, to some extent, but most of the time it's governed by readings and other observations. People reach a consensus because it's the option that, given the evidence, seems most viable. Besides, no one takes science as...well, an exact science. Science never says it's absolutely correct. Even gravity is a theory. So yes, Science can be wrong. Its systems were built over time. A lot of respected people contributed to it. The attributes of science you listed - consensus, organisation, and respectability aren't the means by which Science deems itself correct, which you seem to imply religion does. Science deems itself correct - or at least as correct as possible - when its empirical findings most reflect the world/universe. Not by any of those other features.

Your argument presupposes that religion is false, and what's more, the logic you use proves too much. Science is the practice of making belief conform to reality. Belief in god is rather different, if merely for the fact that many intelligent people believe in and feel they have good reasons to do so. Something which exists is inherently distinct from something which does not exist. This applies to belief systems as well; you can tell a lot about a belief by the fact that it isn't [commonly] held.
No. Science is the practice of finding that which is real. Often, the pursuit is started by a certain belief. In the process of finding reality, that belief undergoes rigourous testing until it is no longer just a belief - or, rather, it involves as little belief as is possible. Religion is a belief that finds evidence within itself. That intelligent people can have a belief means absolutely nothing. Intelligent people are, after all, still people. Absolute imbeciles are also religious. I could say this says something about religion, but I don't - nor does the fact that some religious people are also intelligent. Intelligent people are most often as susceptible to societal pressure as the rest of us.

You've just equated religion to fairy tales. Both may be considered superstitions, yes, but you haven't given actual reasons. Just said that they're the same reasons.
Religion finds verification within itself. I've said religion is a fairly tale which is believed - a fantasy which finds verification within itself, and is perpetuated by society. Religions may have historical records pertaining to them - much as there are records of the deification of various emperors, Augustus Caesar amongst them. Such "evidence" was written from the perspective of the religion which was dominant at the time in that society - the religion being perpetuated, which was paganism mixed with emperor worship in the case of Augustus Caesar. This does not amount to evidence.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:00:35 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: December 28, 2015, 04:36:40 pm »

Actually, the reason you don’t believe in fairy tales is probably because believing in fairy tales gets you socially ostricised.
Point of order, but... not so much. Fairy tales and, more on the point, folk tales are still told and believed in a number of places without the least whit of social rebuffing, nevermind their prevalence in the past. Not believing (or, at least, professing belief) in any number of small tales can actually be what gets you ostracized, often enough. The thousand and one tiny superstitions about luck, the local but widely believed within the area stories of ghosts and ghoulies and whatnot... they're still very much there, and taken very seriously in many places. I've personally heard tales swapped with utmost seriousness and more or less accepted, with tales swapped back in tones just as serious, about things in the swamps and ghosts on the bridges, and that's stateside where thin pickings regarding local myths is a very well known phenomena.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: December 28, 2015, 04:46:01 pm »

Point of order, but... not so much. Fairy tales and, more on the point, folk tales are still told and believed in a number of places without the least whit of social rebuffing, nevermind their prevalence in the past. Not believing (or, at least, professing belief) in any number of small tales can actually be what gets you ostracized, often enough. The thousand and one tiny superstitions about luck, the local but widely believed within the area stories of ghosts and ghoulies and whatnot... they're still very much there, and taken very seriously in many places. I've personally heard tales swapped with utmost seriousness and more or less accepted, with tales swapped back in tones just as serious, about things in the swamps and ghosts on the bridges, and that's stateside where thin pickings regarding local myths is a very well known phenomena.

One could easily argue that these sorts of folklore things are in fact religions of a sort... or at least have some of the hallmarks of religion. Humans love to identify themselves via group think as a way of separating us from them. Our brains simply love such things.
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: December 28, 2015, 04:48:57 pm »

Around here, there are some very reasonable people who believe in "the Charm." Apparently people can inherit charms to cure things, find things, stuff like that. The Charm for healing is sometimes used instead of a vet - my Biology teacher once told the tale, as just a natural thing that happens, of the Charm being used to stop her nose bleed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: December 28, 2015, 05:00:42 pm »

The other way of seeing that, MonkeyHead, is that humans are social animals, and we like to be part of a community.

As in, ritual and social group stuff is healthy for you. Religious people tend to have better psychological health profiles, if I remember correctly. Probably has to do with believing in there being a purpose to life/having a strong founded philosophy making it harder to become nihilistic/filled with ennui/purely focused on the self as the only possible measurement of existence. Not that there aren't counter-examples, I'm just saying that it's another way of putting it that makes it less 'let's avoid this thing as much as possible' and more 'let's avoid this thing when it leads to bad outcomes'.

I'll see if I can find the specific evidence for counterpoints to your stuff later, DwArfY. Sorry. I will say that everything is a belief; whether the belief happens to accurately reflect what we believe is reality is separate from it being a belief. Belief =/= Faith. Well, it sorta equals faith, but only in the sense that I have faith that the sun will come up tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:04:02 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: December 28, 2015, 05:22:31 pm »

Oh sure, what is and is not acceptable to believe varies with context, probably pretty widely. I agree with that.

Edit: He’s claiming that he’s rejecting religion by importing the same cognitive process that makes him reject fairy tales. I’m saying that he’s reasoning in retrospect in support of something he already believed, so it’s not super great evidence that religion is as trivially easy to debunk as he seems to be implying.

Edit 2:
TL;DR: “I don’t believe fairy tales because they’re obviously false because I can logic. Religions resemble fairy tales in all ways, they just have social support. Therefore, religions are obviously false. Therefore people should feel silly for believing them.” I object to premise 1 (and the conclusion that people should feel silly, but that’s thornier to address).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:51:42 pm by Fenrir »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: December 28, 2015, 06:59:29 pm »

The other way of seeing that, MonkeyHead, is that humans are social animals, and we like to be part of a community.

As in, ritual and social group stuff is healthy for you. Religious people tend to have better psychological health profiles, if I remember correctly. Probably has to do with believing in there being a purpose to life/having a strong founded philosophy making it harder to become nihilistic/filled with ennui/purely focused on the self as the only possible measurement of existence.

Ceded, but we must keep in mind always that this in no way points to any religion being true. To reach such a conclusion from this premise would be an appeal to consequences.

EDIT:
Not that the existence of god would make life any less meaningless anyway, it just pushes the point of arbitrariness back one step. Humanity may find it's moral and existential foundation in God, but God is without foundation itself and therefore contributes nothing to resolve the problem. God does not remove the terror of science.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:09:31 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: December 28, 2015, 07:32:19 pm »

I'm not saying it's true based on that. I'm saying that we shouldn't place religion into the 'Evil Things' category just because the cognitive processes that it leads to and cause it seem like status games.

Life being without inherent meaning (rather than inherently meaningless) is freeing, Bohandas. It means we are free to give it meaning, rather than having it forced onto us by some other.

Though really, the 'purpose' of life is to reproduce. :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: December 28, 2015, 07:42:03 pm »

It's all arbitrary axioms
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: December 28, 2015, 09:34:51 pm »

I have a question for everybody, how far back do you believe the Bible to be historically accurate?

(eg. The new Testament, everything after the exile, everything after King David... etc.)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: December 28, 2015, 09:49:24 pm »

... not, really. From most of what I've noticed the historical bits that can be corroborated are often fairly... tenuous, or distorted, at best, when it's not what as near as we've been able to tell outright fabrication. The biblical texts are vaguely useful for history research due to most everything else scraped together from stuff that far back also being pretty terrible, but historical accuracy is not even remotely what I expect from the text. It's not a history book. It wasn't written to maintain historical accuracy, or even to record historical events. It's mostly a collection of oral and/or second (at best) hand stories about fanciful things, with all the hilarious inaccuracies that develop when you're working with something like that over a lengthy period.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: December 28, 2015, 10:01:05 pm »

I have a question for everybody, how far back do you believe the Bible to be historically accurate?

(eg. The new Testament, everything after the exile, everything after King David... etc.)

Jefferson Bible only.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 521