I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582368 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #4650 on: January 14, 2016, 06:02:32 pm »

It never explicitly states it, but since some amount of angels (maybe 1/3, but it doesn't really matter) chose to sin, and God is all good, then it must mean that the angels chose it of their own accord and therefore have free will.

Jude 6 And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: January 14, 2016, 06:09:52 pm »

Which is one interpretation. Or, God is not all good. Or God had some other motivation.

After all, God works in mysterious ways is a house hold response to bad/strange/unbelievable things God does.

Clearly angels must have had more humanlike avatars. Kinda hard to make love to a burning wheel of fire. Being described as a man did not exclude angels back then.

Hey, if Johnny Cash could manage it, so can we.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: January 14, 2016, 06:12:34 pm »

The bible says that God is good in several places. So either you believe that God and that bible are infallible, or both are not. And you and I are in the opposite boats.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: January 14, 2016, 06:13:46 pm »

drat, I did think of adding "except if you're Johnny Cash" but didn't
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: January 14, 2016, 06:16:04 pm »

When I send my Dorfs to dig a tunnel and they go berserk and drown everyone that does not necessarily mean it was my intention for them to do so, though it was in their capacity to do so
But if you also designed the dorf's AI then you're going to have a fair idea of what they're likely to do

This.  It's come up in the thread a few times by now I believe, but the idea is that God knows exactly what Satan will do under all circumstances, so by engineering the circumstances like He did, He effectively made Satan for that purpose.  Otherwise He could have done things differently.

Unless you subscribe to the idea that God isn't omniscient or omnipotent, which again might not be an unreasonable claim.  As has been discussed so many times in this thread, making God less than omnipotent, omniscient or omnibenevolent removes a lot of these issues.

Either way, God probably had a very, very good idea of what would happen.  Depending on whether you believe God to be omniscient, it's kind of like writing a book and making Satan the designated villain, or creating a video game character with a high level of jealousy / ambition / pride, making him second banana and sitting back to watch the inevitable fireworks.

The bible says that God is good in several places. So either you believe that God and that bible are infallible, or both are not. And you and I are in the opposite boats.

I don't think it would be hard to accept that the Bible is fallible.  If it can be mistranslated... isn't that already fallibility?

Also, one could always argue that God's definition of good is different from ours, I suppose.  I've seen that argument floated a few times.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: January 14, 2016, 06:17:35 pm »

Oh, any time I make theories than involve God existing I'm playing Devil's Advocate anyway. (see what I did there? :P)

The Bible was made by men, and then translated by men. It was made in many different parts, sometimes generations apart, then stitched together by Bishops in 4th Century Rome. Assuming God exists, he may be infallible - men, however, are not.

Anyway, I don't call most of what God does in the OT good. Either you agree, or you think that mass murder and rape is good, or you don't think the Bible is infallible.

drat, I did think of adding "except if you're Johnny Cash" but didn't
Beat ya to it I'm afraid. At least you're not a boy named Sue.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:20:06 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: January 14, 2016, 06:28:55 pm »

I quite dislike the "with or against us" attitude all the Christian mythology has.

Apparently there were no angels that disliked working under God for all of eternity and wanted to do their own thing or something. Apparently it is either submission to God or into hell with the ones that like horrible crimes.

So basically any angels that would have simply wanted an ideal such as "freedom" (not really an odd thing to want when you have freedom of will) would have been cast down as a sinner into hell.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4657 on: January 14, 2016, 06:31:16 pm »

When I send my Dorfs to dig a tunnel and they go berserk and drown everyone that does not necessarily mean it was my intention for them to do so, though it was in their capacity to do so
But if you also designed the dorf's AI then you're going to have a fair idea of what they're likely to do
Read Toady's devlog to see why that's wrong

I quite dislike the "with or against us" attitude all the Christian mythology has.
First rule of Abrahalalism is thou shalt have no big cheese besides me

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: January 14, 2016, 06:36:37 pm »

Quote from: Isaiah 14
14:16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
The subject is a "man".  Note that angels have fearsome, inhuman visages such as being made of burning wheels.

When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years." The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.  — Genesis 6:1-4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_God
Clearly angels must have had more humanlike avatars. Kinda hard to make love to a burning wheel of fire. Being described as a man did not exclude angels back then.
Yeah, I concede that point.  I wonder how humanlike they actually were, but it doesn't matter - they are clearly describable as men.
I also remember now that the people of Sodom wanted to sleep with Lot's angel-guests.  Though... that city was pretty deviant :P
Also, if any angel is particularly good at appearing human, I think it would be Satan!

I think my other points are strong though.  He was destined for hell in the future, yet is blamed for imprisoning people in the present.  And he won't be buried with other kings specifically because he's been bad.

Sure, the Bible says that he is good.  It doesn't say he's virtuous, and he doesn't need to be, because he wrote the law and made himself an exception.

He calls *himself* wrathful
and jealous,
is monumentally prideful,
took a day off despite being omnipotent (not to mention the last 1800-2000 years),
demands sweet-smelling sacrifices of meat and blood,
demands a tithe,
and unnecessarily impregnated a married woman. 

If he was just a superpowered mortal he would be guilty of every deadly sin by his own laws.  Plus a TON of death, rape, and torture on his specific order.  Despite all this he is, by definition and only be definition, absolutely good.  Because he said so, supposedly.

Of course any non-Christian or freethinking Christian is free to look at this character and judge him as evil.  Maybe these parts of the Old Testament are unreliable stories from a warlike desert tribe and God didn't do this stuff.  Maybe the Cathars (or various gnostics) were right and God is an evil that can be escaped through virtue.  Lots of options.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4659 on: January 14, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »

Allah Akbar

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: January 14, 2016, 06:49:51 pm »

It never explicitly states it, but since some amount of angels (maybe 1/3, but it doesn't really matter) chose to sin, and God is all good, then it must mean that the angels chose it of their own accord and therefore have free will.

Jude 6 And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day
I do agree with this though, angels appear to have free will.  While "free will" is a weird and nebulous concept, surely beings without free will can't rebel.  Like, by definition.

I think the Quran says they don't, or maybe just the Djinn (who apparently serve Satan in this tradition) don't.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: January 14, 2016, 07:30:53 pm »

By my understanding Djinn had free will just like humans, and supposedly some even followed religions other than Islam.  They were invisible humans in that sense, effectively.  They just have special powers and can be bound to inanimate objects somehow.

Edit:

I was going to say something about God being much smarter than any human, but you know... maybe this is a compelling argument that the universe is an artificial simulation set up by God and it got out of control.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:39:44 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: January 14, 2016, 10:35:02 pm »

This.  It's come up in the thread a few times by now I believe, but the idea is that God knows exactly what Satan will do under all circumstances, so by engineering the circumstances like He did, He effectively made Satan for that purpose.  Otherwise He could have done things differently.

Unless you subscribe to the idea that God isn't omniscient or omnipotent, which again might not be an unreasonable claim.  As has been discussed so many times in this thread, making God less than omnipotent, omniscient or omnibenevolent removes a lot of these issues.

Either way, God probably had a very, very good idea of what would happen.  Depending on whether you believe God to be omniscient, it's kind of like writing a book and making Satan the designated villain, or creating a video game character with a high level of jealousy / ambition / pride, making him second banana and sitting back to watch the inevitable fireworks.

I don't think it would be hard to accept that the Bible is fallible.  If it can be mistranslated... isn't that already fallibility?

Also, one could always argue that God's definition of good is different from ours, I suppose.  I've seen that argument floated a few times.

this is missing another obvious solution, and the solutions tendered, again, fall into the "good is defined by what makes my pleasure center activate", and not "satisfaction of god's wishes."

That missing option goes like this:

Yes, God created the adversary/satan for the purpose of testing human kind. The purpose of human kind is to ultimately become like god is, or as close as any created being can become so. Since God does not play the hipocrite, he does not violate his own rules or plans. This is ultimately why he does not tend toward producing flashy miracles, except where necessary to assure the culmination of this objective (No, he isnt going to bring your wife back from the dead just because you keep pestering him, etc. any more than the petulant 3 year old will get a 10lb bag of candy if they keep pestering thier parent. The parent may indulge on halloween, but once a year is very spread out in time to a 3 year old.)  The way the world was created, was done purposefully and with foreknowledge of all events. God intervened when it was essential and necessary, knowing in advance what would be required, when and where. The assertion that since god knows this information, that he could have done "better", boils down to "better == activates my pleasure centers", and not "better == better at producing beings ultimately capable of properly being like him and living harmoniously like him."

Often used biblical example: spanking.

A parent can know, in advance, that a child is going to break a specific rule. Say, "dont take cookies from the cookie jar without permission."  The temptation of cookies, to a very young child, may well be irresistable.  The logic you are trying to use will paint any parent with a cookie jar in the home, who has kids, as an evil, mean parent if they likewise institute a "no sneaking cookies" rule.  This makes sense if you are a butt hurt little kid, getting spanked for sneaking cookies; mommy and daddy are just plain meanies for having cookies in reach and not sharing them, and doubly so for KNOWING that you would want one, and that you would try to take one, and punishing you anyway with a slap on the bottom.

The parent has cookies as a "sometimes treat." They tell the child not to just take cookies, because they want the child to grow up to be a sensible adult with impulse control. They are well aware that the child will try to sneak the cookies, but keep both the cookie jar, and the no cookie sneaking rules. The parents are not evil, but instead loving, because they both provide cookies as is sensible, and also teach their child impulse control by discouraging hedonistic consumption.

Another may be the parent of a teenager, who knows the teen will try to sneak out of the house.  Similar story there.

The argument that god, being all knowing and all powerful, can be neither because he fetters himself with internal rules to govern his actions, is absurd. I am capable or being a bank robber, but am not one because I choose not to be because I consider doing such things reprehensible for a wide assortment of reasons. Likewise, God does not do certain things, for similar reasons. I dont need to go rob a bank for you to prove that I am capable of being a bank robber. Why do you insist that God engage in highly contrary behavior to his objective goals just to satisfy you?

EG, please abandon "3 year old wants cookie damnit" mode.

God's plan is not for people to sit around all day strumming harps, but instead to rule the universe along side him as "adult" children. That is a very big responsibilty, and he provides ample testing in our mortal childhoods to assure we are ready for that task.

that's my take on the biblical narrative anyway. 

Basic premise:

God has a complete and total understanding of sin, and willfully chooses to abstain from it, because he has determined that engaging in those kinds of actions has seriously negative consequences.

He intends for you to become like him, both in power and in mindset. He wants you to have a complete understanding of sin, and to willfully choose to abstain from it, having determined that engaging in those kinds of actions has seriously negative consequences.

To accomplish that goal, he created a testing center, the earth, to test his child-creations. He created the source of sin to seed the test environment with sin, so that his child-creations can experience it, and decide that yes-- sin is a bad thing and should be abstained from.

This process has unavoidable (since god does not break his own rules, despite being capable of doing so) consequences, such as people being addicted to sin, and choosing the very bad consequences instead of choosing to abstain.  This is lamentable, and the bible has many references to god feeling great sadness over this. However it is again unavoidable for god to acheive his goal.

What is "good" by gods standard in this case, is for humans to learn about sin first hand, and choose to abstain from it. Not for humans to sin endlessly, and bitch about why god institutes consequences for it, or to bitch about how if god wants us to live sinless lives, why he introduced sin to us.

good != activates my pleasure centers
good == promotes responsible independent desicion making and behavior, in accordance with god.

sometimes being responsible is no fun at all. Accepting that is part of being responsible.

What greater responsibility is there than being a god? Maybe now you will better understand why god wants more then just a theoretical understanding of why sin is bad from you, and tests you on earth.

at least, that has been the deeper understanding I have gained from tearing at the bible anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4663 on: January 14, 2016, 10:43:27 pm »

I was going to say something about God being much smarter than any human, but you know... maybe this is a compelling argument that the universe is an artificial simulation set up by God and it got out of control.
On paper it should all play out according to the formula, but there's a lot of possibilities, and some of them are weird
I bet God didn't even want life to appear on Earth and just wanted the Universe as a powder game simulation

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: January 14, 2016, 10:48:58 pm »

snip
That is a very good explanation. Quick question: When you said God wanted us to become as close to him as possible, what did you mean?
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 521