I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582398 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Kirpan
« Reply #5430 on: April 01, 2016, 03:21:09 pm »

I cannot read:
One only has to look at Germany, specifically West Germany, where their broken units grew to be very commercially successful and accomplished, childless individuals. I'm sure they enjoyed their success well, lived happy, pleasurable lives, coasting off of the casual sex and short partnerships of the sexual revolution, and now their time is up and what do they leave in their wake?
Who do they leave in their wake?
in any way that isn't trying to imply the value of children as a legacy.
By that metric then you can deposit your wank at a sperm bank, sire several dozen genetic offspring and content yourself with the knowledge that you can indulge yourself in all the self-gratification you want because you've done your part lol
Gotta get that genetic legacy ayyyyyyy

*EDIT
Genghis Khan confirmed for most moral man in existence
  • Sired countless numbers of the world's ancestors
  • Strong independent Mongol that did what he wanted
  • Knew how to have a good time
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:25:03 pm by Loud Whispers »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: April 01, 2016, 04:16:36 pm »

You're the one pointedly questioning the legacy of childless people though
Also where did morality come into it

Personally I plan to adopt someday and raise a child or two, or maybe a lot depending on how my life goes...
And I might also donate DNA but I'm not as sure about that.  I might do it just to make my dad feel better, honestly.  And other elderly family members...  That or help my brother raise a family.  I might breed directly but I doubt it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5432 on: April 01, 2016, 04:21:41 pm »

Tbh I know I was ironically Genghis Khanning but that system of morality actually sounds hilarious

Immensely irresponsible, but hilarious

HUNDREDS OF CHILDREN

Also how the hell do you people equate children with genetic material
Wtf m8s

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: April 01, 2016, 04:37:26 pm »

Tbh I know I was ironically Genghis Khanning but that system of morality actually sounds hilarious

Immensely irresponsible, but hilarious

HUNDREDS OF CHILDREN
Heh yeah it could be considered a moral system I guess.  Pretty much any code can be, I think, if you attach enough importance to it?
Also how the hell do you people equate children with genetic material
Wtf m8s
Er
I mean I'm obviously aware that adoption is a thing and it's pretty cool, it's just... uncommon?  At least in my family, both branches.  I only know of exactly one adopted relative, it was kinda a big deal.

Maybe my situation's a bit unusual though...  My paternal line has been shrinking, so the elders are obsessed with my brother and I continuing the line.  We were pretty specifically taught that blood ties were a huge deal and that we needed to make more.  I kinda resent it, but I don't think it's *that* unusual?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: April 01, 2016, 04:44:08 pm »

Maybe my situation's a bit unusual though...  My paternal line has been shrinking, so the elders are obsessed with my brother and I continuing the line.  We were pretty specifically taught that blood ties were a huge deal and that we needed to make more.  I kinda resent it, but I don't think it's *that* unusual?
I think it's unusual, but that may be because I have so many cousins I have no idea how many (I swear, every year I learn of more), even though basically none of them share a last name with myself.

Anyway, Genghis Khan is totally the greatest bastion of morality there is or ever was.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: April 01, 2016, 04:47:47 pm »

:v What I believe LD means by that is that there are large consequences to the disjointed familial structures being promoted today in western society. Keep in mind before reading this that, IMHO, adoption is a trend that is very much in contrast to this, and thus should prob be encouraged.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, I'm not saying there's anything terribly morally wrong with any of this (after all this is one of the ways society changes, and change is good in the long run, maybe?), but this has been going on for quite a while now, and any old timey people who lives in france/germany/italy/england has prob noticed that the world they knew just kinda went mostly poof in the last 2 generations.

Anyway, here's a jesus thing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:50:10 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5436 on: April 01, 2016, 05:09:29 pm »

My parents/relatives do the same to me, seeing as I'm the only one who'll retain the name. Which is doubly strange, because I was adopted. RIP genetic heritage.

in any way that isn't trying to imply the value of children as a legacy.
No, he's talking about the decline of structured families and the implications thereof.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5437 on: April 01, 2016, 05:37:10 pm »

Spoiler: TSDR to OW (click to show/hide)

No, he's talking about the decline of structured families and the implications thereof.
That's actually a great summary

Though I wouldn't say structured families as I'm pretty certain the majority of the world population has structured families, it's just the West that hates them and pretends it has no effect

Anyway, Genghis Khan is totally the greatest bastion of morality there is or ever was.
I love his morality

Do an immoral thing on a scale so impressive, the negative morality overflow breaks and it becomes moral as fuck
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:41:12 pm by Loud Whispers »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: April 02, 2016, 07:04:30 pm »

I would just like to point out here, while I process and respond to text walls, hopefully in an informed and intelligent way, that Nikola Tesla had no children. He, in fact, died a virgin.

I think have a legacy like his wouldn't be too bad.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:04 pm »

I was just thinking of the argument which I often hear for why miracles no longer happen - basically that God stopped doing them for one reason or another after Jesus died. However, reading the literature they did happen, more than numerously, in the years since. Ever read a Saint's Life? It's just that we don't really quite believe them.

Sort of a rambling thought thing I had at quarter to six in the morning.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: April 09, 2016, 01:17:25 am »

thinking that unlikely things that happen to be good are miracles is quite a dangerous way of thinking

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5441 on: April 09, 2016, 01:44:18 am »

Not really? It does cheapen the idea of an actual supernatural miracle, but it's not dangerous in and of itself. Mostly just indicative of someone who believes God can be seen in their everyday life.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: April 09, 2016, 01:47:33 am »

i sort of automatically think of any concepts leading to problematic conclusions (winning the lottery = miracle, hundreds die in natural disaster = freak accident?) or entrenchment in existing views to be bad

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: April 09, 2016, 08:59:42 am »

I'm not speaking of circumstantial miracles, I'm talking Jesus-type miracles. For example, Saint Wilfrid gave some oil to sailors as he saw they would need it in the future, commanding them to pour it on the waves when there was a storm. They did so, and the storm disappeared. There are numerous tales of healing, and other things - pretty much anything Jesus could do. One even brought somebody back to life.

It's just that we don't believe them, whereas the Bible is the font of all truth.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: April 09, 2016, 10:16:48 am »

Well, they do probably happen all around us, but people just explain away like it was a conspiracy, or they just don't believe them, or they don't care enough to look for them.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 521