I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580330 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Kirpan
« Reply #5565 on: April 25, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »

I vote Richard Dawkins for atheist pope
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5566 on: April 25, 2016, 05:52:42 pm »

I vote Richard Dawkins for atheist pope

Haha no thats fine. I think having books to argue over is perfectly sufficient.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: April 25, 2016, 06:07:52 pm »

I vote the God Delusion as the atheist holy book? :P

I mean, I don't think it should happen, but if we gotta choose....
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: April 25, 2016, 06:09:19 pm »

An "Un-Holy Book" would suggest cohesion and a sharing of ideas between atheists - a form of uniformity. The only thing uniting atheists is that they don't believe in a form of divinity - any book seeking to be for atheists could only contain that one shared ideal. Anything else from morals and ethics to what foods to eat varies from person to person.

I will point out, while "Uniformity" isn't something I'd use to describe us, we DO hang out together and share ideas, and while there isn't anything we completely agree on except Atheism (And even that is very arguable) you are much likelier to find that you have things in common with other atheists than with theists. And again, the point is to help us formulate what we believe so that we can disagree on it, and thereby stimulate discussion and new ideas.
What's your basis for that belief? Two of my past three best friends have been religious(and the third was from when we were you going to really care). Atheism is a poor flag to rally around, unless it's Richard Dawkins style militant and/or "being-a-dick" atheism.

Besides which, there is currently an ongoing project to make a wikipedia style database for arguments and lines of thinking.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5569 on: April 25, 2016, 06:26:48 pm »

An "Un-Holy Book" would suggest cohesion and a sharing of ideas between atheists - a form of uniformity. The only thing uniting atheists is that they don't believe in a form of divinity - any book seeking to be for atheists could only contain that one shared ideal. Anything else from morals and ethics to what foods to eat varies from person to person.

I will point out, while "Uniformity" isn't something I'd use to describe us, we DO hang out together and share ideas, and while there isn't anything we completely agree on except Atheism (And even that is very arguable) you are much likelier to find that you have things in common with other atheists than with theists. And again, the point is to help us formulate what we believe so that we can disagree on it, and thereby stimulate discussion and new ideas.
What's your basis for that belief? Two of my past three best friends have been religious(and the third was from when we were you going to really care). Atheism is a poor flag to rally around, unless it's Richard Dawkins style militant and/or "being-a-dick" atheism.

Besides which, there is currently an ongoing project to make a wikipedia style database for arguments and lines of thinking.

Because I've encountered plenty of different atheists both online and IRL, and we've had a fair amount in common - similar view on politics, science, philosophy, etc.

Oh, and can I get a link to that? It sounds really cool. Unless you mean arbital, which I already saw.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: April 25, 2016, 06:39:20 pm »

I think you're mistaken - from what I've seen, I agree/disagree with atheists as much as any theist. We just don't differ on one point, as a rule, heh.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5571 on: April 25, 2016, 06:49:00 pm »

I would support an atheist pope just as long as every atheist pope actually hated being atheist pope

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5572 on: April 25, 2016, 06:51:44 pm »

I would support an atheist pope just as long as every atheist pope actually hated being atheist pope

That is absolutely guaranteed by the nature of the position.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5573 on: April 25, 2016, 06:53:27 pm »

I think you're mistaken - from what I've seen, I agree/disagree with atheists as much as any theist. We just don't differ on one point, as a rule, heh.

No, I'm quite certain of my experiences. They may or may not be representative of a broader pattern, but that is what I've experienced.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: April 25, 2016, 09:14:35 pm »

Because I've encountered plenty of different atheists both online and IRL, and we've had a fair amount in common - similar view on politics, science, philosophy, etc.

Oh, and can I get a link to that? It sounds really cool. Unless you mean arbital, which I already saw.
My point is that I've met plenty of people, period, who I've had a fair amount in common with. Rarely are the religious people fundamentalists, but one of those friendships was founded on religious debate. I dislike echo chambers most of the time, and some of the atheists I know are kinda dicks about it. Which I don't really put up with because being condescending to someone about their beliefs is a shitty thing to do. Besides which, there's a lot of different possible philosophies within atheism, just like there's about a thousand or so different sects of Christianity. Some people are nihilist, some existentialist. Some are still spiritual, others very materialistic. Nature of good and what we should strive for to be good is a big one there, too. That's the type of thing you build a community around. Around the belief in debate and contesting ideas, and trying to find truth, or about doing good things. Not about 'we don't believe there's a god! Take that!'.

That was what I was getting at. Also, I believe DwArfY1 was saying that you are mistaken as to it being part of a broader pattern.

But yes, I meant arbital. Took me forever to find/remember the name of it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5575 on: April 25, 2016, 09:37:16 pm »

Atheism is too broad a thing to build a religion around. You either need a very specific interpretation of atheism, like Buddhism, /r/atheism-style antireligious wank, or you could focus on one specific aspect of it, like... I dunno, scientific method? That'd be more of a social club than a church, though.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5576 on: April 25, 2016, 09:46:23 pm »

there's a lot of different possible philosophies within atheism, just like there's about a thousand or so different sects of Christianity. Some people are nihilist, some existentialist. Some are still spiritual, others very materialistic. Nature of good and what we should strive for to be good is a big one there, too. That's the type of thing you build a community around. Around the belief in debate and contesting ideas, and trying to find truth, or about doing good things.

Yeah, thats the point. That's what I want the book for - so that we can all argue about what should be in it, write our own versions, change them, etc, etc. Christianity has, in my opinion, been significantly enriched by competition and diversity between it's sects, and I want to harness that same power for atheistic philosophy. Right now atheism is kind of an amorphous mass, and I want to organize things a bit better. So when someone says "What kind of atheist are you?" You can link them the page for your variation of the book, and maybe drop a few common keywords like "Existentialist/Nihilist/Materialist" the same way christians can say "Baptist/Catholic/Evangelical".

You see what I'm getting at, or am I still failing my speech checks? :P

Edit: I don't want a single grand religion to rule them all and in the darkness bind them, I want a boatload of competing sects with different ideas I can pick and choose between.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:48:19 pm by Angle »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:18 pm »

there's a lot of different possible philosophies within atheism, just like there's about a thousand or so different sects of Christianity. Some people are nihilist, some existentialist. Some are still spiritual, others very materialistic. Nature of good and what we should strive for to be good is a big one there, too. That's the type of thing you build a community around. Around the belief in debate and contesting ideas, and trying to find truth, or about doing good things.

Yeah, thats the point. That's what I want the book for - so that we can all argue about what should be in it, write our own versions, change them, etc, etc. Christianity has, in my opinion, been significantly enriched by competition and diversity between it's sects, and I want to harness that same power for atheistic philosophy. Right now atheism is kind of an amorphous mass, and I want to organize things a bit better. So when someone says "What kind of atheist are you?" You can link them the page for your variation of the book, and maybe drop a few common keywords like "Existentialist/Nihilist/Materialist" the same way christians can say "Baptist/Catholic/Evangelical".

You see what I'm getting at, or am I still failing my speech checks? :P
Or you can just ask "What kind of philosophy do you have?" It really doesn't need to be about atheism, is my point. There's already a lot of places and a lot of instances of such competition between philosophy, in any case. It's already there. We don't need anything new for it. It's been saturated. At most, we need something so we can avoid interminable arguments and going over the same basic stuff over and over again.

Besides...Hundred Years War wasn't what I would call 'enriching'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5578 on: April 25, 2016, 09:55:44 pm »

Assuming you mean the Thirty Years War, that was more political than religious. Though it's hard to draw the line when church and state is so deeply intertwined.
It's more an argument for separation of the powers than it is an argument against theological discourse.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: April 25, 2016, 10:04:41 pm »

Assuming you mean the Thirty Years War, that was more political than religious. Though it's hard to draw the line when church and state is so deeply intertwined.
It's more an argument for separation of the powers than it is an argument against theological discourse.
Also Ireland. Sectarian violence is not fun. Discourse is good, but my point is that Christianity's competitive marketplace of ideas opened whole other cans of worms in the past.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 521