I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582862 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Kirpan
« Reply #5610 on: May 04, 2016, 08:01:12 pm »

Except it's clearly not when you're already assuming the (at least general) validity of things like the bible. It's just got the standard issues of reporting involved with anything that concerns the afterlife and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5611 on: May 04, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »

There are cases where it's invalid. This isn't one of them. This is a pretty clear "things are exactly the same regardless of the existence of this added feature, so it's best to assume this added feature doesn't exist" application of occam's razor.
That's not how religion works
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: May 04, 2016, 08:05:55 pm »

How exactly does one phenomena completely preclude the other, though? There's phenomena that support a wide variety of theories on the subject. Just like we can say there's no fundamental support for personality apart from the brain's physical and chemical structure, because there are personality changes when said structure is altered, others say that the brain transmits stimuli in two ways, both from the soul and from the outside, and when its structure is altered, it may then become unable to interpret certain stimuli from either side, while not affecting the soul, kinda like Frumple said. None of the current methods and technology available can fully prove either hypothesis, so believing things are one way or another until then, is essentialy a matter of belief :v

Except a lot of people seem willing to take belief as fact, not unlike certain religious fundamentalists. Two sides of the same coin, one intentionaly interpreting available incomplete evidence as absolute, other disregarding available evidence altogheder, but not fully proven wrong either, and in the end we have Stephen Fry trying to fistfight the ghost of Martin Luther, while I'm throwing popcorn at them.

What I'm saying is, we need to keep trying to learn more things while keeping our minds open to all possibilities, so we don't end up throwing away certain hypothesis away simply because it doesnt fit exactly into what little we know.

And, as we've seen time and time again, Occam's Razor is about as infallible as plastic surgery on Michael Jackson.
FAKEEDIT: ninjas
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: May 04, 2016, 08:07:18 pm »

But that's about the point where you can believe literally anything. If the universe looks exactly the same regardless...
Aww, c'mon. Are you saying you don't like P-zombies?

Also, seconding OW. In a sense, religion is believing literally anything.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: May 04, 2016, 08:08:16 pm »

There's such a great standing behind the concept of the soul that it's no longer a factor in making an option more complex. It's too ingrained within people's minds for analyses concerning such things to be handled objectively by said people.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: May 04, 2016, 08:09:01 pm »

I believe there's a little extradimensional goblin that keeps my heart beating. Obviously it can't keep doing it if the heart's damaged. The chemistry in cardiac cells that has them beat also matters, because if that stops the goblin can't keep it beating; all that chemistry is just a receiver for the goblin beats.

It's basically philosophical zombie bull.

But that's about the point where you can believe literally anything. If the universe looks exactly the same regardless...
Aww, c'mon. Are you saying you don't like P-zombies?

Also, seconding OW. In a sense, religion is believing literally anything.

i wrote my complaint above before reading this post, for posterity

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: May 04, 2016, 08:18:13 pm »

That was before we got hard evidence that one's entire person is stored in the brain (which the Greek philosophers naturally thought was an organ for cooling the blood), though.
That is also incorrect. Feedback mechanisms in other parts of the body are very much a part of you and your personality, as is, I would personally argue, much of your physical self, particularly the spinal cord. People can go insane from having their gut bacteria being wonky. The brain is not the self. And besides that, you could quote easily see the soul as an animating force, or a manifestation of the physical aspects of mind and soul, if you're spiritually inclined. Proof that the brain is the primary determinant of personality is not the same as prior against a soul.

Also, what advice do we give people who are hot-blooded, rash, and angry all the time? Use your head.

Also, science today has metric shittons of problems with replication and non-bias, as even something as simple as what beliefs you had prior to the experiment can fuck up your results, even if both of you used the exact same procedure and continually checked in with another researcher with an opposing viewpoint. So it's really not that hard to think Occam's Razor might be wrong here. Sometimes it is.

Also, brain is just a little bit less understood than the heart. Just a little. Also only a little bit more complex.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: May 05, 2016, 10:30:59 am »

Soul is the thing that my brain does.
If my brain is damaged, it can no longer soul properly.
If my brain is disassembled , it can no longer soul at all.
If my brain were then reassembled, it would presumably then be able to soul again.
The mechanism by which my brain souls is not fully understood, but this will likely.change in the future.

Are those some acceptable definitions?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: May 05, 2016, 10:45:26 am »

Soul is the thing that my brain does.
If my brain is damaged, it can no longer soul properly.
If my brain is disassembled , it can no longer soul at all.
If my brain were then reassembled, it would presumably then be able to soul again.
The mechanism by which my brain souls is not fully understood, but this will likely.change in the future.

Are those some acceptable definitions?
Not really? Souly bits are clearly not all the brain hypothetically does, nor does brain damage necessarily entail souly malfunctions. It's pretty easy (well, relatively speaking) to take a hard knock to the noggin' and just no longer be able to not piss yourself, ferex, no personality changes (save the entirely expected ones, that have nothing to do explicitly with the damage itself, caused by regularly soiling yourself) involved.

It'd be more like,
Soul may be a thing that my brain does.
If my brain is damaged, it's possible it will no longer soul properly.
Rest as previously, except that annoying period between likely and change is purged in fire and bloodshed and your family cursed unto the tenth generation for your sin. Gotta' keep dat shit holy text appropriate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: May 05, 2016, 12:06:02 pm »

Heh, phone keyboards are hard.

Well, I feel like it's easier to just say that the ability to pee is a part of your soul, just one that you don't care about much, than to try to find a nice line between personality and not personality. We're already fudging it a bit by just talking about the brain, and not the whole nervous system, and all the inputs to the nervous system, and all of our environmental factors on out behavior, and all the factors on those factors, and generally the universe as a whole.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: June 22, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »

I think it's fairly likely that MT was trying to convert as many people as possible while she was there.

Hardly seems like news.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: June 22, 2016, 12:07:27 pm »

MT was a sister of battle, you should be glad she didn't just set on fire.

Seriously tho, I'd be ok if someone tried really hard to convert me into noodle worship/chaos magic/subgenius/scientology after saving my life or somesuch. I'd just be like LOL SURE then run away, but run away thankfuly :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: June 22, 2016, 12:29:49 pm »

Mother Theresa was an asshole.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: June 22, 2016, 02:01:17 pm »

The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 521