I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 581474 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6480 on: January 02, 2019, 10:44:28 pm »

I know, just generally commenting, but I’m rather distasteful of organized religion.
But what is your stace on disorganized religion?
what’s the difference m81 lil
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: January 02, 2019, 11:15:33 pm »

When religion is disorganized, it therefore comes from local community and personal feelings rather than monolithic organizations.  That seems like the optimal way to address feelings about the universe.  It's what has always happened anyway, with local members of widespread religions interpreting said religion through their local cultural beliefs.

Religious leaders hate that, of course, and try to stomp it out.  Threats to their control are "heresy", like Catharism.

Even the most selfless and enlightened religious leaders are trying to invent general solutions for diverse individual spiritualities.  It's an impossible and unnecessary problem even without all the temptations of power.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: January 02, 2019, 11:40:00 pm »

Bad pun I thought of a bit ago: Maybe because it wasn't Cathartic?

Off to the terrible jokes thread!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: January 13, 2019, 06:54:50 am »

I posed this question to my Christian friend: of all the sects and denominations of your faith... Who's going to heaven? Obviously you think you are, but will Catholics? Presbyterian? Methodists? Etc.

He didn't have a good answer, but I suspect not many would.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: January 13, 2019, 07:46:22 am »

I posed this question to my Christian friend: of all the sects and denominations of your faith... Who's going to heaven? Obviously you think you are, but will Catholics? Presbyterian? Methodists? Etc.

**Is agnostic, but comes from a strong non-denom christian family.

The answer to this question is not "but OUR sect is the ONLY, REAL, TRUE one!!".  Not if you read the bible.  Jesus is very clear what the requirements for salvation are.

1) Salvation through faith in the Christ.  Nothing else will get you in. 
2*) Demonstration of that faith, through repentance and abstainment from sin. (And even general impropriety.)

So, if your denomination has some strange dogmatic practice, but preaches the core tenets above, Jesus says you get to go to heaven. (he will sort you out when you get there regardless.)  This means Jesus cares precisely DICK about which church you attend, as long as it says "Only Jesus can get you into heaven, so read your bible to read his teachings, and let them instruct your life."  Barring a few very outlandish sects that claim the christian moniker, this is pretty much all of them.

Now, I asterisked #2 there for an important reason.  The second follows from the first, and is the identifier that you have indeed done the former. Jesus is pretty clear on this in the bible. Works do not save you, but yet, "By their fruits, you shall know them."  This includes all the ordinary things, like how they conduct their speech, how they treat other people, etc.  The premise being, that if you have accepted Jesus as the Christ in this fashion, he sends you the Holy Spirit, which then causes personality and mind changes on you, to give you a new nature.  That nature causes you to act a certain way, which is very conspicuous to people that know what they are looking for.  Simply emulating that behavior, without the acceptance of the Christ, will not get you into heaven.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:49:07 am by wierd »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: January 13, 2019, 12:27:47 pm »

Huh that's good to know. Glad I asked.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:58 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:32:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: January 13, 2019, 04:29:46 pm »

I want to say that if I asked that question the answer I'd get would be "Basically nobody, including most of the people in this very church" but in truth even the most hard line Pentecostal Holiness Christians I know of think that other denominations can be okay.  Methodists and Baptists might be okay, but some have problematic beliefs.

Most think Catholics are deluded, but I actually don't know if they think they won't make it to heaven.  I imagine most think that 99% of the Catholics are out of luck for various reasons ranging from them drinking alcohol to "worshiping the pope," depending on who you ask and how misinformed they are.  And Episcopalians are wannabe Catholics, so they're in trouble too.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: January 13, 2019, 04:48:58 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:31:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: January 13, 2019, 04:51:57 pm »

I think there's definitely a plurality - and probably a majority - of Christian denominations that believe that the criteria for "who's going to heaven" is "anyone who believes Jesus is the Christ" and the rest is detail.  This collection of denominations believes that adding any kind of "works" into the mix (e.g., it's "believe in Jesus and act this way instead of that way") has added something.

There are lots of Biblical texts to support that view, it's not just touchy-feely stuff.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: January 13, 2019, 05:15:40 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:31:41 pm by dragdeler »
let

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: January 13, 2019, 11:21:35 pm »

Lets all eat some mushrooms and dance around a fire

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: March 04, 2019, 11:45:13 pm »

Methodist news: https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2019/03/04/united-methodist-church-same-sex-wedding-lgbtq-clergy
Spoiler alert:  They ruled against it.  And for action against any minister who defies the judgement, of course.

What makes the decision interesting is the talk about a schism.  Our US NPR report yesterday was largely talking about the divide between African Methodists and other (Western), more progressive, Methodists.  Guests were insisting that this wasn't the stance of American Methodists.  More power to them!

Edit:
Lets all eat some mushrooms and dance around a fire
I do love mushrooms, and have an amorous hatred of fire.  Let's dance.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:47:04 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: March 04, 2019, 11:55:34 pm »

They should schism away. They don't have to answer to a pope, and they don't have to answer to some arch-priest of the United Methodist Church either. :D

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: March 05, 2019, 12:17:33 am »

They should schism away. They don't have to answer to a pope, and they don't have to answer to some arch-priest of the United Methodist Church either. :D
That's not how the United Methodist Church works. Unless you were making a joke.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 521