I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582185 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7410 on: August 11, 2023, 07:03:22 am »

Religious freedom is intended to be "the government can't force you to worship a certain way, and cannot prohibit you from worshipping a certain way."  The modern abuses come in because people have found the loophole, which is saying that all sorts of activities are an aspect of their worship: what they watch, eat, *uck, inject into themselves,

The original bible had no pronouns.

True but irrelevant; that's an artifact of the language, not the culture.

Jesus was born a woman, and self-identified as a man.

Pretty difficult to do Jewish-style penile circumcision in that case. And if you say that was ret-conned, then you basically enter the world of not being able to trust anything in the book, which would make it irrelevant if Jesus did or didn't comment on sexuality or gender, because the entire narrative would be untrustworthy.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: August 11, 2023, 07:12:34 am »

As I'm reading about "Religious Freedom" being the stick with which to beat the LGBTQ community, I wonder if the following statement would be protected under Free Speech and Religious Freedoms:

So I don't know what the context behind this is, but it weirldly reflects some idle thoughts I was having like three seconds ago.

I was thinking about my intellectual disagreement with some elements of T philosophy, and how that would be met by many with revulsion and violence - the full mechanics of the great beast over-generalised by the febrile as 'cancel culture'.

This segued into my similarly intellectual disagreement with religion, which (excluding sexy Muhammed) I feel free and easy to express.

Combining the two, I decided to (as a thought experiment!) consider 'gender' as synonymous with 'soul' - an amorphous concept significant to many but, outside its value as symbol and object of faith, ultimately meaningless. It was useful to consider both as deserving the same protections, whatever intellectual issues may arise on the personal level.

The above is less a structured point, more an expression of the last minute's idle thought.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 07:15:23 am by TD1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: August 11, 2023, 08:49:26 am »

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: August 11, 2023, 08:55:32 am »

Spoiler: A very brief response (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: August 11, 2023, 09:18:45 am »

Pretty difficult to do Jewish-style penile circumcision in that case.
Intersex folks exist, so while difficult, it wouldn't be impossible.

Clearly the child of god could thread that particular needle, skyfucker built that into people anyway, so why not the messiah, too?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: August 11, 2023, 09:31:08 am »

Pretty difficult to do Jewish-style penile circumcision in that case.
Intersex folks exist, so while difficult, it wouldn't be impossible.

Clearly the child of god could thread that particular needle, skyfucker built that into people anyway, so why not the messiah, too?

Well then that would be "born intersex, identified as a man" wouldn't it? Not "born a woman"?  ;D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: August 11, 2023, 09:32:02 am »

Not according to a lot of birth records, blech.
Ask not!
Ask!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: August 11, 2023, 12:14:25 pm »

Now I want a new cult of Christianity that would believe that God intentionally created Jesus (aka himself... Christian theology is so absurd) as non-binary\genderless\both to represent all of humanity!

Maybe I should start this one... those are profitable after all.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: August 11, 2023, 12:20:37 pm »

As I'm reading about "Religious Freedom" being the stick with which to beat the LGBTQ community, I wonder if the following statement would be protected under Free Speech and Religious Freedoms:

I'd find it much more likely that Jesus was born a man, and was homosexual.
I mean, c'mon. A jewish man, in his thirties, no wife, in that time and age? Not to mention spending most of his time with 13 other men?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: August 11, 2023, 12:25:40 pm »

Genderfluid Jesus has the alliteration going for it, for what that's worth.

From what I'm aware, there's more than a few movements out there that conceptualize the christian god as non-binary/non-masculine/something-other-than-the-traditional-male-skyjackass, but it's much less common for anything particularly serious to give ol' streaker J the treatment. So, I mean. If you really want to give it a shot, there's probably market share available. Something something unexploited niche something.
Ask not!
Ask!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: August 11, 2023, 12:27:36 pm »

I think you’ll find religion is a hugely exploited niche, it just seems to be infinitely so.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: August 11, 2023, 12:50:28 pm »

I'd find it much more likely that Jesus was born a man, and was homosexual.
I mean, c'mon. A jewish man, in his thirties, no wife, in that time and age? Not to mention spending most of his time with 13 other men?

He also said that it is a sin to look at a woman with lust. Note that he never said that about looking at men.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: August 11, 2023, 02:31:48 pm »

::)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: August 11, 2023, 03:02:16 pm »

Also, if God is male (Adam was created in his image and when God decided to manifest himself he did that in a male form) isn't it kinda wrong, when you, being a supreme being MADE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD, join your flesh with someone who is not as god-like and misses some divine bodyparts?

You should seek the company of other god-like creations. Being hetero is clearly sinful.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: August 11, 2023, 03:19:38 pm »

Nahh, being herero breeds new god-organs.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 521