Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Pithy Quotes Thread  (Read 12552 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Pithy Quotes Thread
« on: February 23, 2015, 01:01:22 pm »

Hoy. This is a thread to place things you'd like people to quote you for. Only original aphorisms, maxims, jokes, absurdisms, and general quotables.Like so:

"Gentlemen! There is that which is due to the Dead, due to your Fellows in Life, and due to the Unborn. That which is due to the Dead in memory, due to the Living in work, and due to the Unborn in art. Do well in all three." -anonymous writing as Capt. Ringo McClellan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Pithy Quotes Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:37:17 pm »

Just to be clear, I’m not a professional ‘quote maker’. I’m just an atheist teenager who greatly values his intelligence and scientific fact over any silly fiction book written 3,500 years ago. This being said, I am open to any and all criticism.

‘In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.’ - Dutchling

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:38:47 pm »

"Don't die. It's bad for your health."

-TheDarkStar
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:50:55 pm »

"I've always wanted a place to be self-congratulatory and narcissistic." - SomeStupidGuy
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:15:31 pm »

"If we're going to Hell, we might as well deserve it. Who knows? We might overshoot and hit Heaven instead." --Itnetlolor

"We've been through Hell; and they would never tread Hell, though they have no qualms about putting others though Hell; let's give them Hell." --Itnetlolor

Hell seems to come up alot.

(That in itself is OOC-worthy)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:05:20 pm by Itnetlolor »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:55:01 pm »

Just to be clear, I’m not a professional ‘quote maker’. I’m just an atheist teenager who greatly values his intelligence and scientific fact over any silly fiction book written 3,500 years ago. This being said, I am open to any and all criticism.

‘In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.’ - Dutchling
Glad you're open to criticism Dutchling, here's three.
1. That you say "fiction" fine, that's fair as you believe it to be less than fact. To say "silly" however, is where I draw the line. Age doesn't make it any less valuable than any other philosophical text. Moreover, if you're talking about the Judeo-Christian bible, keep in mind that it is a compilation, not written all at once.
2. Nobody asked for your backstory, Dutchling. :p I wouldn't have been offended by your quote. It's an exceedingly vain platitude but generally inoffensive. Your attempts to explain why it shouldn't be offensive are, if anything, what made it offensive. ( Or else, why would you have made such pains to bring it up. ;p )
3. That you place specific focus on your intellect ( especially above scientific and philosophical inquiry) is egocentric and detracts from any arguments for your worldview. ( And if you didn't want to forward your worldview, you wouldn't have made such pains to bring it up. ;p )

That is all. Hope it didn't offend. No flaming or I'll lock the thread and I'm too exhausted to take this to PM, so don't try. Also, I know you probably didn't mean intelligence in the way you said it, just try to take more care to not come off as condescending, m'k mate? There's too many atheistic blowhards in the world as is. ;p

Eh, why not, let's make that be my quote: "If you're an atheist, careful to say what you mean instead of coming of as a condescending asshole. There's too many atheistic blowhards in the world as is." - anonymous writing as Capt. Ringo McClellan.

( To preempt the obvious and fair counter, Yes there are too many religious blowhards in the world too! :] This conversation is done, ok? I am not about to have Toady lock down another of my threads over quasi-sociopolitical flamewars. Also, disclaimer: Please don't take me too seriously, except for the ban on touchy irrelevant discussion. )

Here's a better quote: "Take a moment to look around at everything and appreciate it - soon it'll all be gone."

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:15 pm »

"I've always wanted a place to be self-congratulatory and narcissistic." - SomeStupidGuy
See, this guy gets it! :p

"I don't have another quote. Or anything special to say right now." - Capt. Ringo McClellan.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:25 pm »

Quote from: blathering by ggamer in a group chat
So I just saw one of those comics made by depressed people where their depression is represented by like a shadowy version of themselves. And the first thing I could think of was what I would do if one of you guys had some weird shadow thing that told you you were worthless and you told me about it. And my first reaction was "nah this is persona rules you gotta accept it or else it'll turn into a big scary monster and try to kill you” Also my second reaction would be to give you a hug and listen to what you got goin on that's making you feel like that.Then maybe we can go to waffle house because shit, who is ever happy on an empty stomach. And then you can realize that just because you've got this voice in your head telling you that you’re shit that doesn't make it true

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 10:03:45 pm »

Quote from: blathering by ggamer in a group chat
So I just saw one of those comics made by depressed people where their depression is represented by like a shadowy version of themselves. And the first thing I could think of was what I would do if one of you guys had some weird shadow thing that told you you were worthless and you told me about it. And my first reaction was "nah this is persona rules you gotta accept it or else it'll turn into a big scary monster and try to kill you” Also my second reaction would be to give you a hug and listen to what you got goin on that's making you feel like that.Then maybe we can go to waffle house because shit, who is ever happy on an empty stomach. And then you can realize that just because you've got this voice in your head telling you that you’re shit that doesn't make it true
+1 After the worst of the domestic disputes at my home we usually end up at the Waffle House.

"Waffle House, safe haven for battered souls - confirmed!" aaCRM

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 10:18:02 pm »

Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 10:20:13 pm »

"That's what you get for stating you're not a professional quote maker I guess. People just don't take your work seriously :/" - Dutchling

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 10:22:37 pm »

"See battle, Boo? RUN, BOO, RUN!"

-scribbabbadabop bapbadabop
Love, scriver~

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 10:25:15 pm »

'At this moment I am euphoric, not because of some phony god's blessing, but because I'm high as fuck, duuuuuuuude." - Snoop Dogg
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 10:26:20 pm »

Pithy quotes are for fools who haven't parodied Karl Marx enough.
-some lunatic whose name starts with a "T" and ends in a "awarochir"
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9