Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Increasing the number of Dwarf Fortress Gamers  (Read 12649 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing the number of Dwarf Fortress Gamers
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2015, 10:42:24 am »

in a few years.

yeah, sure, but in a few years, DF will probably be much further.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2015, 11:43:20 am »

in a few years.

yeah, sure, but in a few years, DF will probably be much further.

Yeah. Hopefully. Side note: It's not necessary to keep track of fingernail growing in a game like Rimworld. The dev should focus on other gameplay elements. IMHO. :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2015, 03:55:47 pm »

DF doesn't keep track of fingernail growth, either.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2015, 08:00:14 pm »

So far, at least.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2015, 02:38:41 am »

Anyway, some numbers with regard to CK2. for example:
2014 - Vanilla game sales:
http://www.pcgamer.com/crusader-kings-2-has-sold-one-million-copies/

2015 - Vanilla + DLCs + Expansion Packs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_Kings_II

As of February 13, 2015, the base game has sold over 1.1 million copies, with the expansion packs sales totaling over 2.5 million units sold and the cosmetic DLCs 5.5 million. According to Paradox Interactive, the game is played by an average of 12,500 players every day, 104,000 per month, with an average playtime of 99 hours per player.

This is pretty decent for a strategy game.

Yeah, it is, doesn't change the fact that tons of people can't get into it (or think they can't), though.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2015, 08:31:00 am »

It was a lightweight sarcastic comment. [..and we all know that it will be featured in DF sooner or later anyway..]  :D

Anyway, some numbers with regard to CK2. for example:
2014 - Vanilla game sales:
http://www.pcgamer.com/crusader-kings-2-has-sold-one-million-copies/

2015 - Vanilla + DLCs + Expansion Packs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_Kings_II

As of February 13, 2015, the base game has sold over 1.1 million copies, with the expansion packs sales totaling over 2.5 million units sold and the cosmetic DLCs 5.5 million. According to Paradox Interactive, the game is played by an average of 12,500 players every day, 104,000 per month, with an average playtime of 99 hours per player.

This is pretty decent for a strategy game.

Yeah, it is, doesn't change the fact that tons of people can't get into it (or think they can't), though.

Well, the same is true about the whole genre, isn't it? I mean someone prefers the Starcraft type RTS games, others prefer to play with fantasy themed TBS games, etc. It's not that easy to create a strategy game which is extremely popular and widely accepted. The majority of the people are FPS gamers [especially the younger people].

AFAIK Endless Legend is the most popular strategy game on Steam nowadays?
http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/content.php?544-Endless-Legend-Updates-and-Expansions-plan

It has sold 400.000 copies since it was released. I am not sure that even EL will reach the 1m.
[It's funny actually, I've bought EL, but somehow I can't get into it. I haven't played it for more than 10 hours totally.. ::)]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:43:10 am by gimli »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2015, 10:02:01 pm »

Depending on how broad you want to have "strategy" as a genre be (and if you're including DF, that's pretty damn broad), Dota 2 is the most popular strategy game on Steam, with 281,447 people with the game open at the moment this is being posted. This is also the most popular game on Steam, with a peak concurrent player count of 1,262,612.

Civilization V is another game that may be thought of as strategy much like DF. It is the fourth most popular game on steam, with 34,865 people playing right now.

Cities: Skylines is another one, and that is 6th most popular game on steam, with 30,063 people playing right now.

Total War: Rome II is the game with the fifth highest all time concurrent player count (118,240). Football Manager 2013 is tenth.

So, yes, there is quite a market for strategy games.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2015, 10:27:58 am »

There is a nice market, but it's nothing compared to the FPS market. [...It was always like this, so no big news here.] CK2 did well on his own market, that is what I meant, even tho Cities: Skylines might do better [It is a Paradox game as well...  500k+ copies sold in 1 week, amazing!]. It's not a game for all strategy fans, but again, which game is? I've never liked Civ 5. or EL for example, but I am a big CK 2. fan. So, I was only reacting to what Dyret has said.
Actually, this is like....comparing horror movies to sci-fi movies [..since the sci-fi movies are much more popular and making much more profit overall], or stating that "Interstellar sucked, but GotG was amazing". [Real life quote btw! :D], even tho both are sci-fi movies & extremely popular.

*edit*

Off-topic discussion now, but oh well.. :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:47:49 am by gimli »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2015, 02:50:39 pm »

The FPS market is smaller than the strategy game market on PC.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2015, 03:30:22 pm »

Cities: Skylines doesn't really count, though, since it was released very recently. I'd say that you have to wait a month or two before the numbers really become representative.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2015, 03:34:16 pm »

No, but Civ V surely does.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2015, 10:35:13 am »

Hm, interesting. I suppose you read about this, so could you link the article?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:44 am »

To those of you grousing about the military screen: the basics of setting up a military aren't that hard.  You need to know how to create squads (which I did without checking the wiki), how to set the squads to train, how to override their civilian clothes with their uniform (and that's optional), and how to command them from the squads menu.  Everything else is unnecessary for a fully functioning military, although it can be tweaked a little bit to fit the goals of a particular fortress, that's more advanced stuff that isn't at all required.

The wiki actually is a problem here in that it makes the whole issue seem FAR more complicated than it actually is by dumping every option and optimization on the reader at once, swamping them with information.

The Uniform Replace or Over Clothing, as well as Partial Match or Exact match can easily be confusing.  It's a UI issue in this case.  Does pressing the key mean I set it, or toggle it? 

Likewise, it is cumbersome to set / update uniforms. 

A tool to just copy an existing Uniform Set, change metal materials would be great.
It was also awkward initially to determine the difference between u and U.
And painfully scroll through weapons when wanting to assign specific weapons for example.
And forget trying to set uniform to use pair of socks + pair of boots.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »

Hm, interesting. I suppose you read about this, so could you link the article?

No article, just straight-up statistics.

That's not accounting for some games that aren't on Steam; however, the most popular of these games include Starcraft 2 and League of Legends, both of which likely blow every other non-Steam PC FPS out of the water.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2015, 09:20:31 am »

Ah MOBAs like Dota or LoL...I wouldn't list MOBA as a strategy genre, even tho it's listed as action RTS. It's a unique genre imo. AoW, Civ, Starcraft...those are strategy games.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6