Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803141 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1005 on: May 04, 2015, 03:44:47 am »

Yah, how the characters are always freezing seems laughable, but maybe that's just nordic me speaking. After all, I've been bicycling to work in -30 Celcius without dying or something.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 04, 2015, 04:38:03 am »

It would be nice if you could get warm from moving. Maybe tie it to the stamina system?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 04, 2015, 04:52:37 am »

Is there already a bionic for warming you up when you are cold? If there isn't, there should be one. Since there are those other temperature regulation ones already anyway.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 04, 2015, 04:59:36 am »

Is there already a bionic for warming you up when you are cold? If there isn't, there should be one. Since there are those other temperature regulation ones already anyway.

I think there's something like sub-dermal heating or somesuch. Or at least there was ages ago if I'm remembering one of Aavak's videos properly.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 04, 2015, 05:17:14 am »

Internal Climate Control. Invaluable to go down ice labs.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 04, 2015, 06:58:58 am »

or being inside a building should offer some increase in heta, theres quite a few ideas on this thread for now try and get something to cover everything that isnt to bulky

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1011 on: May 04, 2015, 07:50:02 am »

Personally when I go out into the freezing snow with a snowjacket, gloves, and winter boots IRL, I'm not a shivering helpless mess of zombie-bait within minutes, or even a few hours if I have a warm hat on. It's really annoying ingame to be constantly spammed with YOUR PINKY FEELS CHILLY or YOUR TOES ARE SOLID ICE BECAUSE YOU STEPPED ON A SNOW IN HEAVY BOOTS
Just throwing the BS flag on this one, since you *would* be a helpless mess without pants on.

And while I do agree somewhat with the sentiment, there's nothing in the lore (AFAIK anyway) that says our character isn't a new arrival to the area, meaning there's no reason to assume they're acclimated.

I'm no Russian, and although I live and was born in South Florida, I have also lived many other places, including Syracuse NY, and Ft. Lost-in-the-woods in Mo during the '09-'10 winter (lowest annual avg temp for both years for the area due to the lows and how long they stayed low). The temperature system may not be quite so real-to-life as it could be, but it's pretty damn close compared to almost any other game out there.
Additionally, I think a lot of people complaining haven't experienced exposure, (average US citizen has never gone more than a day without power, much less some form of shelter) and don't understand how hard it can hit.

Personally, I feel the temperature system is just fine, though I'm not expecting to maintain low encumbrance and still avoid he effects of the cold. If my Bad Day Archer can survive over an hour with nothing more than a blanket, after at least 10 minutes with only a wet towel, and still not have frostbite, then the system definitely isn't too harsh. (eventually ran out of corners to hide behind :P)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 04, 2015, 08:06:31 am »

The hard part about exposure is sleeping, as that will kill you without sufficient precautions. Other tough thing is getting your clothes wet, since, well, that will kill you.

However, having your fingers freeze while doing a two-hour stroll in a city at a couple of degrees over freezing point is quite silly. It might be a bit nippy, but not the degree portrayed by the game. I think the idea behind the freezing/oh-god-I'm-melting system is great. It just needs a little fine tuning, that is all.

Hence why I suggested the tropical/arctic traits for a start.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 04, 2015, 08:10:53 am »

Internal Climate ControlFursuits. Invaluable to go down ice labs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 04, 2015, 08:13:31 am »

Speaking of, has anyone tried armouring up a fursuit yet? It sounds like it might be frightfully OP.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 04, 2015, 08:22:34 am »

Are you certain to keep your hands free when it's cold? Lots of clothes have pockets to keep your hand warm.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 04, 2015, 10:09:57 am »

Speaking of, has anyone tried armouring up a fursuit yet? It sounds like it might be frightfully OP.

Adding more bulk to the bulk seems counterproductive. Leather and kevlar both add decent amounts of encumbrance, and on a suit like that that covers everything, the encumbrance will cover everything.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 04, 2015, 11:11:30 am »

Adding more bulk to the bulk seems counterproductive. Leather and kevlar both add decent amounts of encumbrance, and on a suit like that that covers everything, the encumbrance will cover everything.

The trade off is leather repair versus first aid. Of course you're also trading off dps for leather repair as well. In a case of being surrounded it might be worth it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 04, 2015, 12:23:09 pm »

Solution: make furry power armor.

Fumo-Fumo! Fu! Fumoffu! :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 04, 2015, 12:30:59 pm »

Unless you're a woman where less is more. But if you're a squirrel....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 451