Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 799993 times)

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2775 on: January 20, 2016, 07:20:06 am »

I'm starting to think "lightweight" might actually be an advantage, rather than disadvantage.  The reason: one beer is a near-instant boost to strength and morale.

I dare you to disagree! 8)
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: January 20, 2016, 07:25:48 am »

I'm starting to think "lightweight" might actually be an advantage, rather than disadvantage.  The reason: one beer is a near-instant boost to strength and morale.

I dare you to disagree! 8)
Heavy Eater, similarly - it's only barely a disadvantage unless you're REALLY short on food, and if not, you get a better chance of morale regen since you can eat deliciosity more often.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #2777 on: January 20, 2016, 07:50:28 am »

In conclusion: game balance is hard.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: January 20, 2016, 08:25:02 am »

Game balance is situational and I don't think the devs should sweat about it too much. Munchkins are going to munch and the rest are going to have fun with style before anything else.

Excellent beginner tips, in my opinion. One note about books - they are great thing to have when you are wounded. Healing takes time, so why not spend it reading books til you are completely healed again? It is a bad idea to go out wounded unless you absolutely have to, so better shack down in your safehouse with some manuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: January 20, 2016, 08:26:52 am »

So does that mean Tawa is your senpai?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:12 am »

Yeah, that's a pretty good list. I disagree with the Robust Genetics thing, though. While that system is a lot of fun to play with, you're rarely get to do anything with it when you're just starting out in the game (you rarely live that long). And the points could be much better spent on stats or a starting profession that'll help you survive and learn the game more.

It's a great trait, but really more of a seasoned player thing in my opinion, and one I rarely take myself unless I'm planning on playing around with mutations with a given character.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: January 20, 2016, 11:17:56 am »

Yeah, that's a pretty good list. I disagree with the Robust Genetics thing, though. While that system is a lot of fun to play with, you're rarely get to do anything with it when you're just starting out in the game (you rarely live that long). And the points could be much better spent on stats or a starting profession that'll help you survive and learn the game more.

It's a great trait, but really more of a seasoned player thing in my opinion, and one I rarely take myself unless I'm planning on playing around with mutations with a given character.

If you turn radiation mutation on then robust genetics is a good thing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: January 20, 2016, 04:36:08 pm »

I've never been one much for mutations, myself. Bionics have always been enough enhancement for me. :v

So does that mean Tawa is your senpai?
To compensate I changed his name to "Kōhai" a few weeks ago. I introduced him to the add-on.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2783 on: January 20, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »

I think Tawa should be my kohai, actually.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: January 23, 2016, 09:39:05 pm »

When is the next version going to come out? I need something to justify me playing this game obsessively for the next month.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: January 23, 2016, 10:02:26 pm »

Someone is probably going to pop in and just say to play an experimental.  But I'm curious as well.  The experimental I've been playing seem pretty darn stable to me.  So I'm kinda wondering what is still broken so I can watch out for it in my current game.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: January 23, 2016, 10:43:22 pm »

So, just in case any of you aren't entirely adverse to TVTropes, there's an article and accompanying YMMV page on the game there. It's more up-to-date than most of the wiki and contains good information on several aspects of the game for both early- and late- gameplay, although a good portion of it is rather redundant for experienced players.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: January 23, 2016, 10:44:34 pm »

Yeah, crash bugs are usually found and fixed within hours so experimentals aren't a bad choice. There could be minor UI or feature issues that persist for days or weeks, but minimal crashing. Try downloading the latest build every few days until you find one you're comfortable with.

As far as the next official release I'd estimate it won't be anytime soon, based solely on commits and pulls on the github. Some pretty important functionality was refactored with more on the way, a few new features are in the pipeline, all of which will need to be tested and polished. No clue about big content patches in the works. If there are any they could push a release even further off.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: January 26, 2016, 06:54:41 am »

I can confirm splints work.  I had an NPC buddy stand in spitter acid like a dumbass intelligence impaired person and she had 0 hp with both legs.  Moved at like 1/4th speed.   Made two leg splints and told her to use them and her hp on her legs got better after about 24 hours.

one leg is healing...but only one leg...why?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: January 26, 2016, 10:21:28 am »

They roll separately, so it's totally possible that they just had one roll pass the RNG check and the other one fail. Give it enough time and the second one should fix itself given enough time, assuming nobody has broken that bit of code recently.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 451