Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800024 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2940 on: February 10, 2016, 06:14:29 pm »

What would be rather interesting is an outright "zombie hoard" feature, similar to wander spawn, but bigger than cities themselves, moving relentlessly along some random vectors. Their map entity would for the most part, ignore the noise you make due to how much noise the crowd itself is making, but they can periodically spit out wander spawns, and being in their region of influence is like having dynamic zombie spawn active with high multipliers. This can make them avoidable by particular map awareness and maneuvering quickly enough, or hiding in a basement as it passes through and then fighting your way past the stragglers, but the higher tier survivors can still have something to worry about/challenge directly.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2941 on: February 10, 2016, 06:20:28 pm »

I think just changing wander spawns to spawn the hordes at worldgen and track them as they move around the map would be a bit better. Means you can use guns etc. if you know there's no horde nearby, and the bastards don't just appear out of nowhere to ruin your day.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: February 10, 2016, 06:44:32 pm »

Yea maybe I just haven't experimented with it much but from my experience of it wander spawns are simply not fun.  Make a loud noise and they spawn behind you when they have no sensible way they would have been able to get there.  No firing a shotgun in an emergency and then booking it out of there through the buildings you already cleared.  You fire a shotgun and the horde deploys paratrooper zombies behind you so that you can't escape.  And even if you do manage to somehow clear out an area it seems like just normal footsteps inside your house is enough to attract hordes literally from other cities to your doorstep as if you have some kind of beacon on your roof. 

Hopefully it's gotten better than that since I last toyed with it, but static spawn and wander spawns are practically completely different games it seems. I would be very happy to have some kind of mechanic, toggleable even in static spawn, like a single variable size horde that wanders the map largely ignoring noise until they get within a few map tiles of the reality bubble.  Maybea new one spawning from off map every season or so. 

Give us reason to build some defenses at a base.  Because in wander spawns it's suicide to have a stationary base, in static spawn you are invincible in a properly cleared area with a tent.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:48:16 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

syyrah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: February 10, 2016, 06:44:49 pm »

Just got eaten by a pack of wolves again. They're one of my most frequent death causes, if you exclude Mi-Go, Smokers and an accidental explosion i caused on the mall by throwing a molotov cocktail (???). I've been playing this game for some weeks when i have time and so far i'm having tons of fun.

Some animals like dogs, wolves and cougars tend to attack the player then they are on low health.

...Furthermore most enemies who have armor lack stabbing armor...

Stab damage uses 0.8 * cut_armor formula then calculating damage done.

Edit.: Apparently, monsters have their own stab_armor value now, so, I am wrong. It still applies to player/npc calculations.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:25:58 am by syyrah »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: February 10, 2016, 08:07:13 pm »

You know what would be an epic mod? Periodic attacks like in Don't starve. Maybe every few months you will feel like "something is coming after you", and then various monsters will spawn around you and attack you. They could get stronger based on how long you have been playing, or how high your skills are, or maybe how much stuff you have in the reality bubble, or maybe all 3 and you can adjust them. And of course, unique creatures that only spawn on these events, maybe carrying something rare.

It would make building a base actually worthwhile and cut through the tedium that is "make a giant armored vehicle that contains enough supplies to last you years and travel around looking for stuff to do"

This would be excellent. Wander spawns tend to put you under constant siege, while static spawns make trouble really easy to avoid. Random but semi-predictable waves seem like a good compromise.

Static spawns are realistic. Wander spawns make zombies materialize past your 4 layers of defense. Wander spawns would be great if they didn't just build up over time and had a way to control spawning.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2945 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:49 pm »

Also, I wonder, am I the only one that plays with both Static and Wander spawns on, or are people mixing up Wander with Dynamic spawns?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2946 on: February 10, 2016, 11:12:51 pm »

Dynamic spawns are also terrible, but not as terrible as wander spawns.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: February 11, 2016, 01:06:12 am »

Dynamic spawns are also terrible, but not as terrible as wander spawns.

I remember the old day when dynamic spawn was a default, and zombie spawn at the conner of your eye every time you make any kind of noice.

At lease Wander spawn put them at the conner of thr map.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: February 11, 2016, 08:52:48 am »

wanderers are actauly being worked on right now.

Im noticing some difference in them in the latest experimentals.

They have finite numbers, for one.  you can 'kill' the Zs on the map screen.  They have locations they path to for 2.  Heh, I saw a blob traveling south as presunably part of a horde.

and they can follow you out of town.  the other day I learned that the overmap keeps track of 1) a weak scent of you that Zhordes can follow to a limited degree and 2) an even weaker trail that tracks everywhere youve been.  It might be possible for a 'Stalker' or 'tracker' to pursue you whereever you go
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: February 11, 2016, 09:22:09 am »

wanderers are actauly being worked on right now.

Im noticing some difference in them in the latest experimentals.

They have finite numbers, for one.  you can 'kill' the Zs on the map screen.  They have locations they path to for 2.  Heh, I saw a blob traveling south as presunably part of a horde.

and they can follow you out of town.  the other day I learned that the overmap keeps track of 1) a weak scent of you that Zhordes can follow to a limited degree and 2) an even weaker trail that tracks everywhere youve been.  It might be possible for a 'Stalker' or 'tracker' to pursue you whereever you go

Wander spawns have always had limited numbers (or at least they have had for a very, very long time).
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:18 am »

What's your experience with burt and badly burnt corpses? Do you see them revive or are they like pulped ones? I have hordes of these and I think I'm seeing them come back but I immediately get 'The zombie dies' the next line after something rises. Rather odd. Fire is fun by the way.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: February 11, 2016, 10:47:56 am »

What's your experience with burt and badly burnt corpses? Do you see them revive or are they like pulped ones? I have hordes of these and I think I'm seeing them come back but I immediately get 'The zombie dies' the next line after something rises. Rather odd. Fire is fun by the way.
Well, i once burnt an entire hotel full of zombies and i didn't see any of the burnt corpses reviving. But it's better to butcher them if you're not sure.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2952 on: February 11, 2016, 10:55:11 am »

Well, i once burnt an entire hotel full of zombies and i didn't see any of the burnt corpses reviving. But it's better to butcher them if you're not sure.
Zombies are actually painfully difficult to completely subdue using fire. More likely than not, the zombies in your case stayed down due to the collapsing building crushing their corpses.
Unfortunately, with the new acid addition, now even acid won't erase zombie corpses, which means you have to dispose of them all manually.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: February 11, 2016, 04:58:47 pm »

I added Triffids into my suddenly becoming more of a creature addition mod than a mod to balance spawn ratios mod.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=12051.0

And I found out that Robot night vision is overrated because they wont use their special powers on you if you are in the dark even if they can see you.  Because I added robot night vison.
  Tbf theyll still pursue you; theyll just smash into your car and flamethrower you.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: February 12, 2016, 05:08:50 pm »

Anyone know where to reliably get Power armor helmets?

Or since I know you can force items to spawn together, should add like a 50% chance of each set of power armor to come with a helmet. Or just make the helmet built in. Or hell, make a dead power armor squad event and spawn the armor as heavily damaged and needs like 10 electronics/fabrication to repair. Because while the suits are reasonably common if you know where to look, the helmets are almost non-existent. I've found maybe three, ever, and I've played this game for years.

I don't particularly care if power armor is rare or not, just make the helmets equally rare/common.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 451