Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803208 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2925 on: February 09, 2016, 01:48:34 am »

I did a run of this a couple weeks ago, basically made a martial-arts master and roamed around the starting spot killing everything with Krav Maga.  Eventually quit while trying to sleep in a nearby house but being too cold, and also it was completely dark.  Kinda tedious...

I love this game for the stories people find with it, and it's impressive depth.  I want to try again, more seriously this time, finding proper layers and making a fire and such.

But, surely any melee fight is a flirtation with the RNG?  I assume it's safer to go with... spears, or bow and arrow?  I wasn't caught up with this thread until very recently (due to the OOCQ quotes thread) so I have no idea about the current meta.

You have to worry about basic needs first. Get clothing, clean water, unspoiled perishable food. Train tailoring, make some kind of armor, use a spear or blunt weapon so they can't get stuck (I don't think spears can get stuck...).

Unless bows have been radically changed, they were a huge pain in the ass AND RNG-dependent on finding the right books to make effective ones with decent arrows. I preferred the pneumatic range of weapons from mechanics, but that's harder to get going.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2926 on: February 09, 2016, 01:49:51 am »

But, surely any melee fight is a flirtation with the RNG?  I assume it's safer to go with... spears, or bow and arrow?  I wasn't caught up with this thread until very recently (due to the OOCQ quotes thread) so I have no idea about the current meta.
The RNG isn't bullshitty. As long as you make sure you're decently prepared (low encumbrance, KNIFE SPEAR, etc.) and do the lead-things-over-bushes tactic, you're pretty much set against most early game enemies.
More difficult enemies need better skills and equipment but the principles are the same. Hit them when they can't hit you, use excessive explosive ordnance if you're unsure. Don't take risks, and so on.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: February 09, 2016, 01:50:28 am »

Spears can get stuck, but not if you make a reach attack iirc.
thincake

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2928 on: February 09, 2016, 02:12:10 am »

Pretty sure that's because reach attacks are hackily-coded projectiles
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: February 09, 2016, 06:50:05 am »

reach attacks were going through floors for a while, killing basement dwellers.  Reach attacks ignore the need to stand up.  Furthermore most enemies who have armor lack stabbing armor.  the catch is that stabby weapons tend to do less damage or take to long to return to ready position.

Seriously guys?  Run over the migo, or else stand next to a bush and start a fire.  the fire will wound it heavily as it stands on it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: February 09, 2016, 06:11:07 pm »

Just broke up inside a gun store using some nonorthodox methods. That ambulance is now useless, though. Playing with a Schnizophrenic character is pretty !!fun!!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: February 09, 2016, 09:13:28 pm »

Depends on what you're fighting with. If it has bullets or other dangerous special attacks, then yeah[Unless you have end-game tier armour]. Otherwise, even normally ranged characters often use a melee weapon to mow down most enemies. I NEVER use any non-magical ranged weapons, in basically any game, and I've effectively "Won" Cataclysm regardless. That said, even simple grenades will make your day a lot better and mininukes will make your LIFE a lot better.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: February 09, 2016, 10:11:00 pm »

I guess because you're expected to use roguelike-dancing, and especially the tiles with huge movement costs, to insure that enemies get few or no swings.  Alright.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: February 10, 2016, 12:04:03 am »

I guess because you're expected to use roguelike-dancing, and especially the tiles with huge movement costs, to insure that enemies get few or no swings.  Alright.

This game has an odd mixture of roleplay-friendly features and immersion-breaking systems (said roguelike-dancing, for one instance). For all the realism claimed by the devs, it has a particularly amateurish approach to design that precludes enjoyment of that realism. This is why I can only stand to play it for a few weeks every year or so. Day-to-day living in Cataclysm:DDA is tedious, that's just true, but if you try for more half-hazard and chaotic adventures it can be pretty fun. I find it odd that as soon as you're doing well in the game it becomes absolutely uninteresting.

All the fun parts of the game come from failing horribly. In contrast, the game is absolutely monotonous should you get to the point you can metagame the various systems for maximum survival efficiency. This is obviously my opinion.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: February 10, 2016, 12:26:03 am »

Honestly I think in terms of survival Cataclysm runs laps around the other big survival game I've played recently: Don't Starve. Hold on, I know they're very different.

I hated that in DS the game actually got MORE maintenance-intensive the longer you survived. More wolves, more hunting, more bosses, more crafting to replace what you lost... less exploring, less building, less collecting.

Cata manages to balance both fairly well. It's pretty touch-and-go in the beginning, where you need food and supplies but have to pick your fights, vs later on having easy access to non-perishable food and access to greater challenges like labs that have neat toys in the basement.

I might feel somewhat differently if Don't Starve had homemade battletanks, though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: February 10, 2016, 02:20:38 am »

Totally worth playing the original and probably each major release (see also) if you're really into roguelikes.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:22:40 am by freeze »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: February 10, 2016, 12:05:28 pm »

I hated that in DS the game actually got MORE maintenance-intensive the longer you survived. More wolves, more hunting, more bosses, more crafting to replace what you lost... less exploring, less building, less collecting.
That was my biggest problem with the game too. I want to be able to at least hit a state where I can survive constantly and start exploring in survival games; not be forced to start dropping everything every third minute due to the waves from hell constantly scaling upwards in difficulty without limit.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: February 10, 2016, 12:36:06 pm »

yeah, I do rather love the road-warrior state you can get into in Cataclysm if you work hard enough at it.  My favourite thing to do is retro-fit mobile meth labs or RV's into rolling tank-houses.  Powered vehical welders, solar panels, cookstoves and the like all placed within a super-reinforced, spike covered crawler vehicle is awesome and something i wished other games let you do.
Nom nom nom

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: February 10, 2016, 05:49:58 pm »

You know what would be an epic mod? Periodic attacks like in Don't starve. Maybe every few months you will feel like "something is coming after you", and then various monsters will spawn around you and attack you. They could get stronger based on how long you have been playing, or how high your skills are, or maybe how much stuff you have in the reality bubble, or maybe all 3 and you can adjust them. And of course, unique creatures that only spawn on these events, maybe carrying something rare.

It would make building a base actually worthwhile and cut through the tedium that is "make a giant armored vehicle that contains enough supplies to last you years and travel around looking for stuff to do"

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: February 10, 2016, 06:02:56 pm »

You know what would be an epic mod? Periodic attacks like in Don't starve. Maybe every few months you will feel like "something is coming after you", and then various monsters will spawn around you and attack you. They could get stronger based on how long you have been playing, or how high your skills are, or maybe how much stuff you have in the reality bubble, or maybe all 3 and you can adjust them. And of course, unique creatures that only spawn on these events, maybe carrying something rare.

It would make building a base actually worthwhile and cut through the tedium that is "make a giant armored vehicle that contains enough supplies to last you years and travel around looking for stuff to do"

This would be excellent. Wander spawns tend to put you under constant siege, while static spawns make trouble really easy to avoid. Random but semi-predictable waves seem like a good compromise.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 451