Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 802989 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3435 on: May 22, 2016, 10:29:44 am »

The great thing about the Cata launcher (well, one of them) is that if you upgrade to a new experimental build and your saves now crash the game, reverting to the older working version is just 1 button press.

The only downside to it is that currently, it crashes about half the time when performing a backup, so I tend to do that by hand until it gets fixed.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: May 22, 2016, 09:24:55 pm »

I tried doing the starting quest for the old guard at one of the refugee centers, but upon finding the guy I was suppose to, apparently 3 speaking wasn't enough to do the mission. 3 is pretty high for a first mission, isn't it? It's also a pain to grind and there aren't any books that come to mind that can boost it higher.

Also, what is this I'm hearing about cataclysm 2?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: May 22, 2016, 09:27:39 pm »

It's also a pain to grind and there aren't any books that come to mind that can boost it higher

Self-Esteem for Dummies. It's fairly common in my experience.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3438 on: May 22, 2016, 10:48:38 pm »

IIRC, it's a project that Whales started work on years ago, well before he moved on from Cata 1. Can't recall hearing anything about it coming to fruition, but I haven't looked into the original branch of Cata for at least a couple years.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3439 on: May 22, 2016, 10:54:30 pm »

Why is there a morale issue at that point? The sheer charring should readily make it look very clearly un-empathetically like a puppeted corpse at this point, no?
I figure it'd be less jarring to see it dead on the ground by your own hand than having it still walking around and lunging at things, but the same goes for normal zombies.

That's not a reference I was expecting
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: May 23, 2016, 12:25:15 am »

Cataclysm's original creator is working solo to make a new version from scratch. It will almost certainly be something very different from DDA when it's done. No release date, though.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: May 23, 2016, 12:13:14 pm »

Well it would be hard to top CataDDA.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: May 23, 2016, 01:00:04 pm »

IIRC, it's a project that Whales started work on years ago, well before he moved on from Cata 1. Can't recall hearing anything about it coming to fruition, but I haven't looked into the original branch of Cata for at least a couple years.
He essentially posted that he had canceled it (due to lack of time/energy), then later posted that he was still working on it occasionally, then later posted that he hadn't touched it for over a year (as of last march).

Best case for terms of C2 would be Whales having a remarkable burst of inspiration and deciding to spend it on C2, and is able to magically focus himself on C2 for month or so, and something workably playable might come out of it. It won't be anything similar to C:DDA, and it won't be near as flexible, but it could have some unique features. And personally that's something I'd love to see; it's always cool to see a new rougelike's take on certain things.

But make no mistake in confusing it for anything that will be comparable to C:DDA, the two are on vastly different tracks, and only pulling farther apart in different directions as the huge C:DDA community of developers continues to put several weeks' worth of man-hours into developing C:DDA for every single real week that passes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: May 23, 2016, 01:27:58 pm »

aye.  the sheer manhours going into this project is ungodly.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: May 23, 2016, 01:45:30 pm »

He was also going for a very different direction, iirc. With a goal to reach and with far less items, more streamlined. That said, I love games that have every item in them.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: May 24, 2016, 06:38:33 am »

DDA has the advantage of multiple people working on it. A single person will have more uniform vision of the end goal, but burn out faster. In a shared project, when one guy loses motivation temporarily or permanently, there are other to carry on.

Oh yeah and thanks to all the dudes and dudettes working on the game. When I become a child-eating cannibal after the inevitable end of the world, my survival and culinarism skills will be all thanks to you.  :D

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: May 24, 2016, 06:40:20 am »

That will only work for you until tbe 2headed bear comes for you
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: May 24, 2016, 11:21:14 am »

I remember that original Cataclysm started as a L4D roguelike, it was supposed to be quick and action packed. Sometimes, as I spend my weeks farming and reading books in CDDA, I wonder if this was the way to go. ...then again I sunk so many hours in CDDA.

I had high hopes for Project zomboid. It was supposed to captured couple of your last days of desperate struggle in  the zombie apocalypse. Until fans had their say and now we have farming, fishing, house building and shit.  Does the game still starts with the "This is how you died..." sentence? Because now its more like "This is how you build your farmhouse and lived for years util you got bored...".

Sorry for the rant.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: May 24, 2016, 11:30:08 am »

Remember when minecraft was supposed to be a survival game? :P
People just like building stuff, and there's not much you can do about that.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: May 24, 2016, 11:48:43 am »

I get that way about many of my lategame characters.

In fact, my current buddy just finished molding his cargo truck into his signiture mobile base.  Its 1x1 longer, has spikes, and has all the commodities of a stationary base save the space to store stuff.

Anywho, I quit those kind of characters usually.  This one is going to let me test how later-game critters are, so he stays for now..  I dont mind living after the apocalypse, and I even plan for people doing so within my mod.  But I get bored of it myself.

Somebody told me that they were happy that they ran into a trapdoor spider lair.  It blew off their tires and they skidded to a stop.  Getting out of the car, a single spider popped up.  He ran over to it in leather jacket and iron greaves.  Then the rest of them popped out to eat him.

That made me happy.  Deaths like that make me happy.  Deaths like that are why I have scorched shockers who look like normal ones. Check their description to see the difference.  Death like that is why I added the doom faction to begin with.  Deaths like that are why I nerf the frequency of special infected.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 451