Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803015 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3735 on: September 12, 2016, 04:38:16 pm »

I just keep playing whatever version I have until I get a character to live for an extended period of time. When they die it's time to update.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: September 12, 2016, 05:52:34 pm »

Every month or so I go and download the latest version on the list. Never had a game breaking bug or a major crash (one or two here and there, as much as the O.C). It's as stable as a roguelike of such a large degree could be, alot like DF.

EDIT: Just had this and thought it was funny.

With two broken legs, minor dehydration, serious starvation, and a small horde outside my door. Ahh, the life of a hobo survivor in the post-apocalyptic zombie world.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:49:55 pm by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: September 12, 2016, 11:04:19 pm »

EDIT: Just had this and thought it was funny.

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: September 13, 2016, 07:09:06 pm »

Woke up one morning to find my entire stockpile of food gone. A quick investigation revealed a survivor hiding in the corner of the mall that I'd reinforced, shortly followed by a spray of bullets and my  subsequent death. Turns out a Glock can fire faster than a heavily modded M4. Whodathunkit.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: September 14, 2016, 03:32:25 am »

Woke up one morning to find my entire stockpile of food gone. A quick investigation revealed a survivor hiding in the corner of the mall that I'd reinforced, shortly followed by a spray of bullets and my  subsequent death. Turns out a Glock can fire faster than a heavily modded M4. Whodathunkit.

Could be that he hit you first and the pain slowed you down.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: September 14, 2016, 01:35:40 pm »

I always grab the latest version too and usually don't run into issues. I also keep track of the pulse on github to know what is being changed/added over time, to post bug reports, and sometimes to even add my own fixes.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: September 18, 2016, 11:29:54 pm »

So.....I decided to try my hand at a dynamic spawn for a change, but it doesn't seem to work.

Genned up a new world with Static Spawn set to false, then created a character and started him in the Evacuee scenario with a starting location of Grocery Store. Voila, half a dozen zeds staring at me through the window as soon as I start. Thought I might have done something wrong, so I nuked the world and tried again, same result.

Do I have to go with starting location of Shelter to keep it from nixing my grace period, or what am I doing wrong here??

EDIT: Nope, I started a game in the shelter, ran into a zombie before I was even out of sight of the shelter.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:36:46 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: September 19, 2016, 08:22:37 am »

Nope. I left all the other starting options at default.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: September 19, 2016, 08:26:20 am »

Are you sure you have wander spawns off?

Also, how far from the city is your shelter? Sometimes the shelter is in the city or right next to one (2-3 map tiles is not a safe distance)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: September 19, 2016, 08:36:26 am »

Also, how far from the city is your shelter? Sometimes the shelter is in the city or right next to one (2-3 map tiles is not a safe distance)
Yeah, but if I'm starting with dynamic spawn, it shouldn't matter, right? No zeds for first 90 minutes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: September 19, 2016, 08:50:17 am »

Yeah, but if I'm starting with dynamic spawn, it shouldn't matter, right? No zeds for first 90 minutes.

Maybe that was modified. I'm actually not sure we do have the old-fashioned dynamic spawn (as opposed to wander spawn).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 19, 2016, 09:01:22 am »

So then how does dynamic spawn work now?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: September 19, 2016, 09:11:05 am »

I've noticed too, that the 90 minute grace period is no longer in the game.

EDIT: hahaha, epic.

LMOE shelters are no longer a safe haven, with random NPC spawns turned on.

I was heading to the exit, when I was met by a random NPC who demanded I keep my distance.
I proceeded to threaten him to drop his weapon.
He then turned to flee. but not before LIGHTING A STICK OF DYNAMITE AND THROWING IT AT ME.
I shotgunned him to the face with my Remington, one-shot killing him.
I proceeded to pick up the dynamite (lit), head up the stairs, throw it out the door, close the door and wait.
A huge explosion wrapped around the outside of the LMOE entrance. It did not penetrate though.

I now have a NPC corpse that dropped a ton of firecrackers, a pipebomb, a dozen refillable lighters, fire gauntlets and a spraycan flamethrower, plus as an added benefit, I won't need to cut down the trees around the LMOE anymore. Dynamite did that for me.

I just hope I'm far enough away from town to not have attracted every last zombie out there to my LMOE. On hindsight, perhaps I shoujld have thrown the dynamite in one of the underground rooms and shut the door on it there.

But yeah, being invaded by a pyrotechnician NPC was epic.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:11:32 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: September 20, 2016, 09:22:31 am »

LMOE shelters are no longer a safe haven, with random NPC spawns turned on.

It's been a few months since I last tried Dynamic NPC's, but that happens *alot*.  I play LMOE starts almost exclusively.  Often I'd run off to bed after a long scavenging run, then wake up to find some guy equipping my stash of firearms.  Because it's dark in an LMOE, it's headshot range so whoever fires first wins.  Even if the guy spawns as neutral, he's still going to loot your stash, so I ended up murdering guys all the time.  (The default NPC spawn was something like every 5 days.)

I found the idea that you had to reclear your own base tedious, and thus never played with Dynamic NPC's again.  Plus, the latest experimental builds have so many non-zombie mobs that you really don't need roaming NPC's to distract zombies like you used to.  Static NPC's are good enough for me.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: September 20, 2016, 04:49:27 pm »

Did you try traps? Some caltrops, which are fairly easy to make, will cause significant amounts of damage to anyone trying to loot your stuff without any potentially wasteful explosions. Add some bubblewrap to wake you up in the process.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 451