Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800029 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3795 on: October 01, 2016, 06:40:56 pm »

Which part? Most of it was just a comment on the difficulty and the weirdness of asthma.

The difficult is a little extreme but It's not so terrible that I can't play. Spiked plating and a heavy crossbow do most of the work, but camping anywhere except my car is a no-no.

As for the asthma, I read on the wiki could kill you, but I've yet to really see any negative side effects other than the mentioned waking up ten times a night, which happens with an inhaler anyway. Doesn't seem to have any other effect and just goes away on its own without an inhaler.
I'm not sure, as I'm going off an anecdote I can barely remember, but maybe it's such that asthma can kill you if you're currently kept unconscious by sleeping medication?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: October 01, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »

IIRC, there's a really tiny chance that you'll randomly have a potentially fatal respiratory attack that can only be prevented via inhaler.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: October 01, 2016, 07:29:31 pm »

tiny means inevitably when playing the odds
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: October 01, 2016, 07:40:42 pm »

After several months, I grabbed the latest version. Blame playing The Walking Dead. Noticed foods have vitamin stats. Well... crap. Now I have to pay attention to what I eat.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: October 01, 2016, 08:17:26 pm »

And/or just pop some vitamins every morning.

Remember to eat meat after bleeding fora while.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: October 01, 2016, 10:47:55 pm »

I must warn you that calcium is pretty difficult to come by, since milk tends to rot away within the first week or so and cheese only lasts so long. You'll probably need to take plenty of vitamins for those.

Oh, but don't take too many, or you'll get hypervitaminosis. I don't believe it does anything yet, but you will get annoying "your metabolism becomes unstable" followed by "your metabolism becomes stable again" messages every hour on the hour until it goes away.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: October 01, 2016, 11:52:39 pm »

I wonder which alternate sources of calcium exist in the game.  Seaweed may be out due to the New England setting (insofar as it exists, but is culturally less likely to be eaten), but beans, kale, and spinach should exist, and I seem to have fairly good luck scavenging dried beans early on.  Growing them, maybe not so much, though.

EDIT: Nope, the CDDA item browser doesn't pull detailed nutrition information.  That would have been too easy.

EDIT 2: A JSON search has revealed an answer to my question.  Bones, dairy, and insect flesh are the best sources, and the first two were only to be expected.  Eggs then rank in, and vegetables and animal/human flesh clock in last, only above materials that don't give anything.  It also reveals why the item browser doesn't pull that information; unless overridden as in fortified protein shakes and vitamins, nutrition seems a consequence of item material rather than the item itself.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:06:47 am by Culise »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: October 02, 2016, 12:06:23 am »

Given that it's a cyberpunkish setting I could totally buy a dried seaweed snack food existing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: October 02, 2016, 12:12:00 am »

Given that it's a cyberpunkish setting I could totally buy a dried seaweed snack food existing.
Actually, you don't need cypunk for that; I literally have a drawer of dried seaweed in my kitchen right now.  It's a taste I've had since childhood: seaweed, rice, and myeolchi were staples for me.  It's a bit of a cultural food, though; the setting is New England, and apparently most Americans view it as a bit odd unless they're big on health fads, which is why I discounted it. 

Though since you bring up cypunk, soylent (not of the green variety) was rendered from soys and lentils, both of which are great calcium sources. ^_^
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:25:10 am by Culise »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: October 02, 2016, 12:53:05 am »

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it in that context, it fits the cultural milieu that tends to appear in cyberpunk settings.

Though honestly you could probably come up with a dozen different justifications in Cata, from "import shop" to "interdimensional portal".

3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: October 02, 2016, 01:00:01 am »

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it in that context, it fits the cultural milieu that tends to appear in cyberpunk settings.

Though honestly you could probably come up with a dozen different justifications in Cata, from "import shop" to "interdimensional portal".
Ah, OK, I understand what you're aiming at now.  I'm also now picturing an interdimensional portal raining gim, but that's neither here nor there. :P

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: October 02, 2016, 02:24:11 am »

I wonder which alternate sources of calcium exist in the game.  Seaweed may be out due to the New England setting (insofar as it exists, but is culturally less likely to be eaten), but beans, kale, and spinach should exist, and I seem to have fairly good luck scavenging dried beans early on.  Growing them, maybe not so much, though.

EDIT: Nope, the CDDA item browser doesn't pull detailed nutrition information.  That would have been too easy.

EDIT 2: A JSON search has revealed an answer to my question.  Bones, dairy, and insect flesh are the best sources, and the first two were only to be expected.  Eggs then rank in, and vegetables and animal/human flesh clock in last, only above materials that don't give anything.  It also reveals why the item browser doesn't pull that information; unless overridden as in fortified protein shakes and vitamins, nutrition seems a consequence of item material rather than the item itself.
Wait what? Is there a hidden difference between 'meat' from an insect, and 'meat' from a woodland mammal? Or did the last two weeks see an update that added insect flesh ( I am playing a release that's about 2-3 weeks old)?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3807 on: October 02, 2016, 07:33:07 am »

... Cyberpunk? That's a bit of a stretch, imo.
It has a few common elements (pretty much only that body augments exist), but the overall theme is certainly different from a cyberpunk setting.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: October 02, 2016, 08:30:45 am »

It's next-Sunday-AD, the police and military are full of autonomous and semi-autonomous drones and kill-bots, extensive cyborgification is available and relatively easy to set up (including a lot of very iconic stuff), sekret facilities are doing dumb shit, major mutation is both fairly normal and predictable, guns are gorram everywhere (even by U.S. standards) - pretty much the only mainline missing is the AI/cyberspace angle.

It doesn't come off that strongly because of the melange of influences; it's also a Romero zombie setting, a sooper speshul zombie setting, basically Doom, half a dozen miscellaneous other horror/action films, Call of Cthulhu (kinda), Death Wish, Terminator (kinda), I Am Legend, Mad Max, &c.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: October 02, 2016, 08:32:19 am »

... Cyberpunk? That's a bit of a stretch, imo.
It has a few common elements (pretty much only that body augments exist), but the overall theme is certainly different from a cyberpunk setting.

Augment, murderous robot police, corporate takeover, no environmental regulations...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 451