Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800035 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4740 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:51 am »

It's pretty much been like this since whales handed over to the community.

Having dozens of people working on one project with no common goal or any cohesion is bound to cause arguments. Most of the time it turns into a pretty good game though.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: August 10, 2017, 09:07:19 am »

It's pretty much been like this since whales handed over to the community.

Having dozens of people working on one project with no common goal or any cohesion is bound to cause arguments. Most of the time it turns into a pretty good game though.

Don't get me wrong - the game is good. I'm just afraid that it could be a lot better if there was a commong goal/vision for it. Currently, it seems to be torn apart by people holding "muh realizm!" above all else and people who want the game to be as arcade-y as possible.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: August 10, 2017, 10:13:52 am »

I'm afraid to say this, but this game is slowly turning into "Cataclysm: Developer Drama Ahead". I really couldn't care less about the bickering between people I don't know, but it's sad to see how the game's slowly turning to the worse because the guys in charge seemingly can't work together.

That...yeah. I had a lot of arguments back in my day, but it was almost always specifically with one dev. The one that tends to be the most-often involved in drama these days. -w-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: August 10, 2017, 12:51:25 pm »

I always thought Kevin Granade was, like, the one who owned it now that Whales had abandoned it.
But apparently not.
thincake

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: August 10, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »

He sorta is in being the project manager. In theory the game is open source, the other devs have authority too, and if enough bullshit happens anyone can make their own fork and hope it becomes better.

In practice Kevin will argue with anyone who disagrees, to the point where even Coolthulhu's griped about it, and no one's making a fork because there you need people who can code.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: August 11, 2017, 01:32:50 pm »

whats with the lack of road tendrils?

Fuckin' caves for days, but nothing like the useful endpoints of other earlier games.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4746 on: August 11, 2017, 03:21:21 pm »

Every time I go onto the repo to see what PRs are around and whether I feel like updating my old build, I lose IQ points. There's there PRs up that'll make me want to update build.

First is https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/21555 which I might use for some modding ideas I have, by having mutations let you conjure stuff.

Second's https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/21583 by everyone's favorite bird youkai. Looks like some cute bionics.

Third we've got https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/21503 and this is the one that's the big IQ drain. Not because of the change itself but Kevin's "feedback" on it. PR opener's got way more patience for bullshit than I do, and even then he's clearly getting fed up with having to tell Kevin blatantly obvious things he keeps demanding be explained.

If it were me trying to PR and dealing with shit like that, I'd have already closed the PR and posted this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh boy. Reading that last one makes my head spin.
Was a crankypost deleted by kevin or is he literally responding to the post just prior to his? For the last post in the commit.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: August 11, 2017, 04:21:16 pm »

Yea that's kinda crazy.  It seems like he decided that he was tired of debating it and decided "No, because I said so. By the way you are banned from contributing for explaining."  I can't speak for them but there seems to be at least one other person interested enough about the idea to try to help explain it to him.

I do admit things were starting to get a bit heated, but I kinda empathize.  They provided what Kevin asked for, and then gets understandably exasperated when kevin decides he needs more examples.  He provided what was asked for, and was still denied claiming that he didn't provide it.  Either kevin does not know what he wants or is poorly conveying what he wants. Kevin wanted an example of why the change was needed, he provided one (no benefit currently to a shield+rapier), and Kevin keeps asking for a reason why it matters when it should be clear.

Probably not gunna do any good in the long run and might just fan the flames, but I called him out on it in the github.  I think dangernoodle has a good idea.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:33:37 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: August 11, 2017, 04:35:24 pm »

Found out about it about an hour ago. Welp. Snek got impressively pissed. That's rather rare from every PR and issue I'd seen them in, but Kevin has a way of getting blood from a stone.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: August 11, 2017, 07:21:38 pm »

Honestly, the divisiveness and disturbingly insular behavior for an open source project is not leaving any good impressions.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: August 11, 2017, 07:39:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: August 12, 2017, 10:39:33 am »

I only wish GlyphGryph didn't go awol, he seemed to kept Kevin in check.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: August 12, 2017, 02:51:44 pm »

Hell, I wish Darklingwolf was still part of the project. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: August 12, 2017, 08:25:51 pm »

I miss KA101 he did a lot of merging and testing, so unfinished and unbalanced stuff wouldn't get through.

Banning permanently Dangernoodle, when he/she was pretty respectful, and responded to Kevin's criticisms with the information he demanded, is not a good thing for an open source project.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: August 12, 2017, 10:03:32 pm »

Sounds like y'all should just ban Kevin, tbh. Why don't ya? (and unban the Noodler)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 451