Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803078 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5145 on: April 13, 2018, 01:46:20 pm »

Is there any way to unsubscribe to a thread so it doesn't pop up in new replies? I'm kind of tired of checking the thread only to see back and forth whinefests. The whole thing seems unproductive. Any of you are free to branch the open source project and take it your own way, it doesn't make any sense to bitch about what someone else is doing with an open source project. If you don't have the knowledge to change it yourself, tough luck. Guess you have to deal with what the people who can program are doing, just like every other game in existence.

I mean ffs some of the arguments don't even make sense. One of you claims Kevin is obsessed with realism while another whines about how you can't shoot a zombie from 10 yards because the guns are unrealistic. Which is it? Neither, because he's making a game. Games aren't supposed to be realistic. They may approximate realism in some ways but all of that takes a backseat to gameplay, and the gameplay is driven by the game's vision. There are lots of games that make no damn sense. Woop Laura Croft found a fucking machine gun upgrade in an ancient mayan temple muh realisms.

Play the game or don't. Stop moaning at the people donating their time to making it. If you don't like it, watch some tutorials and make your own version. If he's doing most of the work then it IS his project. It's also yours, if you feel like branching it. It's anyone's.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:31 pm »

Don't worry, recent experience has showed me this thread will be reported soon and locked for being "toxic." No unsub necessary.

I think both sides are just trying to point out that what's going on isn't fun, but how you describe "not fun" varies based on personal preference. The game lost me long ago, I just keep checking up to watch drama and see if anything new is released - so I have no vested interest one way or another anymore.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: April 13, 2018, 04:13:48 pm »

As much as I hate to contribute to such things, I feel the need to point out...

One of you claims Kevin is obsessed with realism while another whines about how you can't shoot a zombie from 10 yards because the guns are unrealistic. Which is it?
The thing is, certain ASPECTS of a game can be realistic, while others aren't, while I will admit I can't judge the robotics parts because I've been unable to survive long enough to get there, I do feel the need to state that some aspects are better to be realistic than others...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5148 on: April 13, 2018, 04:18:09 pm »

Some aspects of a game can be realistic, but they should be only so far as it serves the gameplay. Skyrim doesn't have realistic swordplay because it doesn't translate well to the medium. Most games allow you to survive things you never could in real life because it makes for better gameplay.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'robotics parts'?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5150 on: April 13, 2018, 04:20:29 pm »

cyborg stuff
Are you asking if the cybernetic parts are realistic? I think by definition they can't be...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: April 13, 2018, 04:23:22 pm »

No, I said I can't judge how realistic to current science speculation they are, because I haven't survived long enough to reach that point

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5152 on: April 13, 2018, 04:29:13 pm »

No, I said I can't judge how realistic to current science speculation they are, because I haven't survived long enough to reach that point
Ah, understood now. How true to current theory they should be would depend on what kind of theme is being projected through the game's direction and vision. If it's intended to be a gritty hard science fiction game then they shouldn't stray much from plausible effects and theories. I haven't actually played the game in quite some time so I'm not up to date on what changes may have been made recently.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: April 13, 2018, 06:28:03 pm »

Some aspects of a game can be realistic, but they should be only so far as it serves the gameplay.

Now tell that to Kevin.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: April 14, 2018, 05:04:25 am »

So I'd heard of this here and there, and decided to give it a try.
after messing around for ages trying to get the Linux version to work (both the experimental and stable versions couldn't find an SDL library that I defiantly have installed) I gave up and compiled it, fortunately that was fairly straight forward.
after a couple of false starts and messing around I started getting the hang of it, and managed to survive two nights. by that time the fungus had spread to my little hide out. having been... er *influenced* by the dwarven mindset, and having just gotten the fire drill I tried that.
NekMinut, !!!Fun!!! ensued, explosively. and fire was licking at the walls of the survival hut, and I'd been hurt fairly badly. went down to the basement figuring I might survive down there, and waited. but died, whether from my wounds or maybe the building collapsed ontop of me I'm unsure.

I'll have to try that again, before it spreads to my hideaway, and with more running away so I get less burned.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: April 14, 2018, 09:15:33 am »

Downloaded this again yesterday (0.C), and played through the first day. Looting nearby houses and bashing Zs with makeshift crowbar after throwing rocks at them while trying to remember all the controls. Nothing particularly !!Fun!! yet.

Seeing that Kevin's been around here lately I'm just going to post the couple of suggestions I've got thus far here:

1: Make default language in settings English instead of system language. It's really weird having ~ 5 % of words in Finnish while everything else is in English...

2: I found myself missing the push functionality from UnReal World. It's like dropping to adjacent tile, but the items don't need to be in inventory. I know I can use advanced inventory management, but it's just so much hassle compared to pressing a key, choosing a direction, and selecting the items on the tile you're on which you want to push to the tile in chosen direction.

I also agree with forsaken111. I think it's been established enough times in this thread that there's disagreement about Kevin's lead dev abilities, and that discussion hasn't been particularly fruitful. Maybe find a better place for bickering discussing about Kevin's lead dev abilites Cata's development. A dedicated thread in Cata's forums or a subreddit or whatever. Months* spanning bickering here isn't really useful, and annoys people who just want to play the game and know whether to get the latest stable or experimental release or some other fork of the game.

* Don't know when the current argument started, but it seems to me that it was going on in February when I last stopped following this thread.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: April 14, 2018, 09:48:02 am »

Downloaded this again yesterday (0.C), and played through the first day. Looting nearby houses and bashing Zs with makeshift crowbar after throwing rocks at them while trying to remember all the controls. Nothing particularly !!Fun!! yet.

Seeing that Kevin's been around here lately I'm just going to post the couple of suggestions I've got thus far here:

1: Make default language in settings English instead of system language. It's really weird having ~ 5 % of words in Finnish while everything else is in English...

2: I found myself missing the push functionality from UnReal World. It's like dropping to adjacent tile, but the items don't need to be in inventory. I know I can use advanced inventory management, but it's just so much hassle compared to pressing a key, choosing a direction, and selecting the items on the tile you're on which you want to push to the tile in chosen direction.

I also agree with forsaken111. I think it's been established enough times in this thread that there's disagreement about Kevin's lead dev abilities, and that discussion hasn't been particularly fruitful. Maybe find a better place for bickering discussing about Kevin's lead dev abilites Cata's development. A dedicated thread in Cata's forums or a subreddit or whatever. Months* spanning bickering here isn't really useful, and annoys people who just want to play the game and know whether to get the latest stable or experimental release or some other fork of the game.

* Don't know when the current argument started, but it seems to me that it was going on in February when I last stopped following this thread.

People tried that, and Kevin turned it into an echo chamber by his own admission.  Just read back his last couple of posts where he called the community here and pretty much anywhere that wasn't his own forums toxic.  I've been on the Bay12 forums since 2011, and this community has been anything but toxic.  As you can see, it gets pretty frustrating when you have 1 guy taking all the credit for other people's work when it's good and people enjoy it, but then bans people and chases away those who actually did the good work when they criticize, even constructively, the bad things which he has implemented.  Some people you just can't reason with, and a good indication of that is someone who calls a community project which was initially created by another person entirely theirs.  Just go over to the wiki, it doesn't even name the original creator, just says "the author", and doesn't list any of the people who actually contributed to the project since it became Dark Days Ahead.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: April 14, 2018, 04:54:03 pm »

Azmodean is Kevin. He either revealed that at some point a long time ago and was just forgotten or never bothered to.

As for the suggestions, I think they decided they would only really bother checking GitHub for feedback because even looking through their own forum's feedback and bug report section was too much of a hassle.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: April 14, 2018, 04:59:52 pm »

Struggling to find drink, as soon as I go near buildings I just get zeds, wonder if my emergency jacket is getting me spotted really easily? last char was doing 'ok', strugling to find anything to drink but leveling up slowly. then stumbled on a brute and couldn't run away fast enough.

Seems my first world had a really good start except for the fungus. a forest just outside the door for close foraging, a river a little further away. pity I burned it all.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: April 14, 2018, 06:18:57 pm »

...Just read back his last couple of posts where he called the community here and pretty much anywhere that wasn't his own forums toxic...

To me it seems he called only the C:DDA discussions here and /rlg toxic. (Though I don't know where else there are C:DDA discussions...)

When it comes to him calling the project his, well, he is the only one of the original C:DDA devs left. If he quit, I think the project might need a new name.

...Just go over to the wiki, it doesn't even name the original creator, just says "the author", and doesn't list any of the people who actually contributed to the project since it became Dark Days Ahead.

Have you been to the history part of the main C:DDA site and the wiki's Developers page?
It's easy enough to find Whales' github for the original cataclysm, and the only one of the 4 contributors not mentioned in wiki's list is jaydg.

(Looking at the C:DDA dev list in GitHub, I noticed Coolthulhu not being in the wiki's list. Looking in the wiki page's history, it seems that some contributors have just never been added (rather than them being intentionally removed))

Azmodean is Kevin. He either revealed that at some point a long time ago and was just forgotten or never bothered to.

As for the suggestions, I think they decided they would only really bother checking GitHub for feedback because even looking through their own forum's feedback and bug report section was too much of a hassle.

I know he's Kevin, that's why I posted those :). I'm hoping to avoid registering to places that I'm unlikely to visit again.

Struggling to find drink, as soon as I go near buildings I just get zeds, wonder if my emergency jacket is getting me spotted really easily? last char was doing 'ok', strugling to find anything to drink but leveling up slowly. then stumbled on a brute and couldn't run away fast enough.

Seems my first world had a really good start except for the fungus. a forest just outside the door for close foraging, a river a little further away. pity I burned it all.

Well, the emergency jacket makes you supposedly visible for rescuers, so it might make you visible to zeds as well, but idk if it works like that. If you're using static spawn, the zeds won't respawn as long as you smash or butcher them, so an area will eventually become Z-free.

My current character is also having trouble finding something to drink. I guess I'll have to smash/deconstruct some of the benches in the shelter to get firewood to make a fire to make clean water.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 451