Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803209 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5220 on: April 19, 2018, 03:47:11 pm »

Oh, Wild. It's Pisskop himself, came straight from the heavens to answer a question. Glorious.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: April 19, 2018, 04:39:48 pm »

ah yeah one of the batteries is damaged, those are some other good tips.
back to the best fuel for fires thing though, anyone got calcs on whether a log burns longer than the equivalent 4x2 vs the equiv splintered wood, and aprox how long each burns for? I've built a fireplace now, do fireplace vs brazier matter for length of burn time? (the trees are a little ways away to go cut down)

I'd go outside, but it gets dark real quick now, and I can't sleep the whole dark time. currently I'm waking up, lighting a fire, doing cooking and maybe reading till it gets light, then going out and foraging/hunting/zed killing, till it gets dark again, then maybe starting the lantern and crafting till its late enough to sleep.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: April 19, 2018, 05:08:07 pm »

Re: gun accuracy/range, this is the current discussion https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/22753
tl;dr I've proposed two approaches, but haven't had time to implement one:
Plan A: retune for the longest ranged guns (sniper rifles) in the hands of a highly skilled player hitting "reliably" at a range of ~100 tiles (yes that's off the map).  Also increase the degree of overlap in effective ranges, which keeps e.g. pistols from being squished down to a ridiculously short range.
Plan B: retune for max effective range as close to IRL ranges as I can find sources for, which puts hitting "reliably" at 1,000+ tiles for the upper echelons of weapons.

Both plans make most guns "infinitely" accurate in the hands of an upper-tier player, and also make robots/npcs/turrets EXTREMELY dangerous on open ground.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: April 19, 2018, 07:33:25 pm »

Perhaps it's possible to teach the smarter monsters (ie not zombies) to seek cover when faced with guns. This would let you make guns realistically accurate in skilled hands, but not all-defeating.

I also think you might focus on "end game" players a bit too much? I haven't played cata very extensively, and the characters I've had have never really found usable guns. I'd like to think that if I'm a survivor just working with what I can get, finding a working gun with ammo should be a big thing.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: April 19, 2018, 08:01:37 pm »

Finding ammo is whats gets me, I managed to raid a gunshop and it had surprisingly little ammo. I think I've got 2 shots of .223 remington left for the M4A1 that I started with (military recruit) I wasted a number of rounds trying to use it with the makeshift suppressor which seriously hampered the accuracy.  the rifle has served me well when I've had to go up against monsters where the bow wouldn't cut it, and the Glock (which I'm also struggling to find rounds for, surprisingly) has been good as a backup weapon those two times where I didn't do enough recon and got myself swarmed in close quarters. I do feel like using firearms should attract a bit more attention though.
hopefully I'll be able to reload my used brass - speaking of that, I put the ammo catcher on my rifle, I've not looked closely at it yet, but I've not noticed where the brass goes. how do I get it out?

So I found another solar powered car, ripped out the solar panels from that to replace the two damaged ones on the one I'm trying to get running, but once I'd hauled them there in my shopping trolley and went to install them, I realized I didn't have enough Mechanics skill. damn.
pisskop mentioned a bubble, I assume the battery has to be close enough to the solar panel to charge? on one side of the car the good solar panel is sitting ontop of a damaged battery, and on the other side the damaged solar is ontop of a good battery, I tried switching the batteries around, but after taking both storage batteries off, it's not letting me choose which battery to slot back in, and they're too heavy for me to move, out of range. it keeps putting the damaged one on the left and the good one on the right. pah. there must be some order that I'm missing.

one thing I'm going to try is making a little cart/trolly with my telescopic lift thingy on it, and a small gas motor and alternator, wheels etc, and charging the solar car with that maybe a dome light and a small storage battery for my light at night problem? maybe I could even turn the existing car into a hybrid? is a mower engine enough for that? 

I figured out how to batch make stuff, problem with that is if the fire goes out or you loose light, you get nothing.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: April 19, 2018, 08:10:24 pm »

Perhaps it's possible to teach the smarter monsters (ie not zombies) to seek cover when faced with guns. This would let you make guns realistically accurate in skilled hands, but not all-defeating.
That's certainly something to look into, but it doesn't solve the main issue of defeating all the zombies trivially.
I also think you might focus on "end game" players a bit too much? I haven't played cata very extensively, and the characters I've had have never really found usable guns. I'd like to think that if I'm a survivor just working with what I can get, finding a working gun with ammo should be a big thing.
No context on how early game you are, are you making it into towns where you can loot shops that have guns, or are you just exploring the outskirts of towns?  If it's the latter, that's pretty much working as intended, guns are supposed to be very strong (and despite complaints about effective range, they *are* very powerful within that range), so they tend to spawn in relatively dangerous areas.

Options for reigning in gun power once ranges are extended:
Hordes attracted to gunfire is the top contender, but that's been stalled for quite a while, we can't count on that for a short-term fix.
Harder to kill enemies is pretty promising, but has shortcomings depending on how it's done.
  Enemies taking cover only works for smart enemies, and is gated behind meaningful cover as a game feature, so also not short-term.
  Enemies with more HP is somewhat promising, but is also kinda gross from a ui point of view since the aiming interface isn't particularly fast, it needs to be streamlined before making monsters soak significant numbers if bullets is a viable option.
  Giving enemies hard-to-hit weak points (shoot zombies in the brain, shoot regular animals in organs without hitting bone) seems like an interesting middle path, making the target you have to hit effectively much smaller while leaving guns more reasonably accurate.  Ideally this would scale differently per monster type, zombies might take almost no damage if it isn't delivered to vitals, natural animals would be susceptible to shock, and therefore more vulnerable to not-perfect shots.  This also has the benefit of trivializing encounters once a player becomes overpowered for it, unlike high HP across the board.
Making guns/ammo rarer.
  Reducing numbers of guns/ammo across the board is a pretty hard sell outside of a "UK mod" or similar, the current reality is that the setting (USA!) is absolutely saturated with guns and ammo.
  What *does* make a lot of sense is positing that most easy-to-loot guns, and especially ammo, have been, leaving most off the ammo concentrated either in difficult-to-loot areas or possessed by NPC factions.

Hope that clarifies some things.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: April 19, 2018, 08:11:58 pm »

I figured out how to batch make stuff, problem with that is if the fire goes out or you loose light, you get nothing.

Is that a recent change? Because I remember batch-making working if the fire goes out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: April 19, 2018, 08:27:41 pm »

Is that a recent change? Because I remember batch-making working if the fire goes out.

They finally decided to break that? Without adding the ability to tend to the fire automatically, which was universally regarded as a prerequisite for that?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: April 19, 2018, 09:00:43 pm »

Enemies with more HP is somewhat promising, but is also kinda gross from a ui point of view since the aiming interface isn't particularly fast, it needs to be streamlined before making monsters soak significant numbers if bullets is a viable option.

I kind of like the aiming interface, being able to steady is really neat feature,  it'd be nice to take it one step further and allow steadying before targets are in viable range, ie around a corner out of sight etc.
Though yeah I can see how it could get tedious with a lot of rounds going down range.
  Giving enemies hard-to-hit weak points (shoot zombies in the brain, shoot regular animals in organs without hitting bone) seems like an interesting middle path, making the target you have to hit effectively much smaller while leaving guns more reasonably accurate.  Ideally this would scale differently per monster type, zombies might take almost no damage if it isn't delivered to vitals, natural animals would be susceptible to shock, and therefore more vulnerable to not-perfect shots.  This also has the benefit of trivializing encounters once a player becomes overpowered for it, unlike high HP across the board.
This would work best with a DF-like system where you could dismember or pulp body parts of targets with enough damage, though I expect that would be a lot of work to implement, and you might have to do even  more to the aiming UI as well, unless you have some sort of system where you automatically aim for the right spot depending on the target (maybe that could be another system, learning what to aim at depending on the critter? from butchering and reading notes?)

They finally decided to break that? Without adding the ability to tend to the fire automatically, which was universally regarded as a prerequisite for that?
Unless it did make part of it and I didn't notice, the UI definitely doesn't tell you.

Single long jobs are also problematic. I've failed making a hacksaw twice. should have looked at the time to do it and how much light left in the day before I started.
these things need to consume the resources when you start, and create a Partially Made[Item] that you can action to keep working on.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:51:01 pm by se5a »

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: April 19, 2018, 09:07:04 pm »

How about giving certain monsters a modified version of the "PLASTIC" flag, like amoebic molds, specifically targeting ranged attacks? A special condition can be added so damage reduction is ignored/reduced when a critical hit(for headless things) or head-shot is landed.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: April 19, 2018, 09:17:59 pm »

How about giving certain monsters a modified version of the "PLASTIC" flag, like amoebic molds, specifically targeting ranged attacks? A special condition can be added so damage reduction is ignored/reduced when a critical hit(for headless things) or head-shot is landed.
Separating bullet damage from sword damage would be nice . . .  both are [cutting]
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: April 20, 2018, 12:23:15 am »

Has anyone made up a sortable spreadsheet thing of the different foods and how much total nutrition vs shelf life, vs time to make, Enjoyability Quenchable etc? 
what do you like making? I've found short term,
Meat Pizza seems fairly good bang for buck, coming out at 100 nutrition per slice of meat, esp if you've got a bunch of Italian seasoning or wild herbs sitting around.
Pelmeni also doesn't seem tooo bad at 96N and have flour.
Hamburgers though, a whopping 120N, a slice of meat, only take 8min to make, though you do need 2 bread, only lasts a day though.
Pizza wins on enjoyability though, 10E and you get 4 slices. vs Pelmeni's 6E at 2 portions. and Burgers 4E * 4portions.

Longer term storage cooking I've not figured out yet, as many of the results can be used again in shorter term recipes. cooked acorn meal seems pretty good though.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: April 20, 2018, 02:38:48 am »

Has anyone made up a sortable spreadsheet thing of the different foods and how much total nutrition vs shelf life, vs time to make, Enjoyability Quenchable etc? 
http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/consumables
Longer term storage cooking I've not figured out yet, as many of the results can be used again in shorter term recipes. cooked acorn meal seems pretty good though.
Pemmican. 296 nutrition in a very compact package for 2 blocks of tallow, 2 slices of meat and 2 veggies.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: April 20, 2018, 04:27:40 am »

Reducing numbers of guns/ammo across the board is a pretty hard sell outside of a "UK mod" or similar, the current reality is that the setting (USA!) is absolutely saturated with guns and ammo.
  What *does* make a lot of sense is positing that most easy-to-loot guns, and especially ammo, have been, leaving most off the ammo concentrated either in difficult-to-loot areas or possessed by NPC factions.

Hope that clarifies some things.

Is it that hard to imagine? I mean, I'm sure the average US home has more than 2 t-shirts and a bag of crisps in them. Same for supermarkets that contain very little food compared to what you'd expect IRL. A supermarket should have enough food to sustain a player for months or years, but that wouldn't be fun, so there is a precedent for reducing the commonality of something below what is realistic for gameplay reasons.

Alternatively, we could assume a lot of the ammo has been shot and limit ammo more than guns.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: April 20, 2018, 04:55:09 am »

I put the ammo catcher on my rifle, I've not looked closely at it yet, but I've not noticed where the brass goes. how do I get it out?
The casings should be going in to your inventory.

pisskop mentioned a bubble, I assume the battery has to be close enough to the solar panel to charge?
He's talking about the reality bubble it means that you have to be near to car for the batteries to charge, the batteries can be anywhere in the car and still charge.

one thing I'm going to try is making a little cart/trolly with my telescopic lift thingy on it, and a small gas motor and alternator, wheels etc, and charging the solar car with that maybe a dome light and a small storage battery for my light at night problem?
This is one of the first thing I always make in game they are very useful, but instead of using the dome light you could use a headlight as it will give you more light to work with. 

maybe I could even turn the existing car into a hybrid? is a mower engine enough for that? 
The mower engine is good if you only use it to charge the battery, other wise you will not be getting any where fast.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 451