Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2477 2478 [2479] 2480 2481 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5933193 times)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37170 on: September 17, 2014, 02:50:40 pm »

One of my dogs was killed and another injured in a wolverine fight (the one that was killed was my only male, damn). The fight lasted about SIXTY pages and included such gems as "the wolverine strikes the stray dog's back right fourth paw, shattering the claw!"

I've also been modding the game a bit (adding a new noble, trying to add more castes, playing with lucelle's weapons, e.t.c.) and getting my miners to sustain burns to the upper and lower body by mining flarestone (from Direforged.)
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37171 on: September 17, 2014, 08:19:16 pm »

Toady fixed cave adaptation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Dwarves repainted my Magma bridge.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37172 on: September 17, 2014, 08:22:05 pm »

I did NOT miss cave adaption.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37173 on: September 17, 2014, 08:36:03 pm »

Glad I didn't update yet!

After going from 100 Dwarves to 30 and going without any migrants for a year, "Some migrants have arrived, in spite of the danger."

Well this is it! The Goblins have finally come, milita arm yourselves!
*waits*
A pack of Dingoes shows up...

Really?
*realizes that I embarked in an area with no Goblins*

DANGIT! I'll just have to antagonize the Elves and Humans.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37174 on: September 17, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »

While Sayaka is cheering up in The Cheeful Land of Ghouls, a vile force of darkness arrives. The "Other Units" count starts at about 210, jumps to 380, then appears to level out at 231. Zombie defense, husks, husks fleeing the map, and all that stuff.

Finally, I figure out why I keep getting "Urist cancels give water: No source" spam.
I've sealed off the caverns, so I have no water source. But who is so armok damned thirsty?
It's Cosmo, whom I had sent into Bait Hall #3 to Gather Plants some sweet pods.

Blue Peachicks have hatched. Ducklings have hatched. And we start fishing because summer has arrived on the calendar. I've started building manual bait halls in the first cavern to catch that noxious parrot. I'm too lazy to setup a proper auto-activate hall right now.

And that's it !! I'm all out of pictures. I actually need to play the game some more. Wonder when I'll have time for that ...

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37175 on: September 18, 2014, 01:43:35 am »

An update on the zombie invasion: Got the fort sealed with a single wooden wall (TECHNOLOGY!) and only four or five dwarves got locked out (I SAID BURROW, YE BASTARDS!).. Getting slabs engraved for them right now, but there are some people unhappy about having to look at the undead along with the deaths that did occur.. And I got pretty lucky..

First tantrum was the mayor, who was mad because he didn't have an armor stand or weapon rack and the manager did.. Luckily he was in his room at the time and his door mysteriously locked tight as soon as the tantrum started :D

Next was a tantrum from my second-in-command military dwarf, who got exposed to more real zombie contact than anyone else in the fort.. Again, luckily, he kicked and punched a few people. He's a legendary Marksdwarf, not a kung-fu legend, so he calmed down without much harm being done..

Then comes the were-hyena transformation, and of course I forgot that I'd nicknamed my dabbling militarydwarf/fisherdwarf who'd been bitten multiple times by the original were-hyena 'Potential Werehyena', and wasn't keeping an eye on him throughout the zomb invasion ;) So I zoom to him to see how many people he's going to jump on and attack and see.. luckily.. that he's laid up in the hospital! And all my hospitals are individual doored rooms (to close against the stink if anyone happens to die), so the were-hyena's door also magically locked when it transformed :D

I took a chance and opened the mayor's room long enough to sneak in a weapon rack and armor stand and that actually went well; his complaint being resolved bumped him out of his tantrum..

Now I'm busy suffering the framerate hit of 80 undead (along with their 3-page-long missing bodypart descriptions), setting up an underground farm (had been relying on above-ground only), and disabling jobs on the surface so they'll quit whining so much about inaccessible things.. Just dug a nice drinking area in the engraved dining room using the aquifer above it, so they won't have to travel up to the top of the aquifer to drink..

.. Maybe things will be okay :> There are.. mysterious constructions.. going on down below, and I want them finished so I can screenshot them :)

EDIT: Luck.. I was watching as that "nice drinking area" filled all the way up to solid 7's in depth.. and then.. started to overflow :> The nearest door was 70 distance away but I got someone hauling it a.s.a.p. while ordering a 3-tile-long wall to block the doorway in case that took less time than the door hauling :| Also ordered my five miners to head into the room and start channeling out more of the high ground around the pool.. The dwarf finally arrived with the door, and suspended it due to site being submerged about 30 times, but I un-suspended it 30 times as some brave channel-mining happened inside the room (I burrowed the miners in there so they had no choice but to be brave, haha..), and finally got the door placed! :D More luck, even though they no longer have lower-level water access (they've got plenty of booze anyway..) The tantrums are getting much worse, though, lots of public fighting in the meeting hall for all to see :|
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:48:33 am by dwarf_reform »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37176 on: September 18, 2014, 03:08:46 am »

Deep in the bowels of FurnaceClans lies Fortunato Kelmubun.  In an old marble quarry, he's been sealed up after being forced into armor with some food and booze, a bed, a statue of his favorite metal, a chair and a table.

One other thing lies in the old quarry... a catapult.  There's a few rocks left lying around for him.

Fortunato has a choice... become a legendary siege operator, or starve to death.

elpreda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37177 on: September 18, 2014, 03:19:17 am »

Built an artificial waterfall in my dining room... damn gosling fell in the water supply and it's now spreading miasma instead of mist... fuck...
Also 3 more Axe Lords just died from incurable ear infections...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:22:55 am by elpreda »

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37178 on: September 18, 2014, 05:20:33 am »

Three dwarves have died in work-related accidents while digging out the spike-pit. That new pulping-effect is brutal.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

elpreda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37179 on: September 18, 2014, 08:32:46 am »

Axe Lords were apparently friends with everyone in the fortress. All dwarves switched instantaneously from ecstatic to miserable... no amount of engravings, legendary bedrooms, waterfalls and sculpture gardens can prevent the tantrum spiral of doom... the circus is a piece of cake compared to grumbling dwarfs

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37180 on: September 18, 2014, 09:03:32 am »

I managed to finish my forgotten beast silk farm. I used a werebeast as bait, so the farm should be eternal as long as I don't retire.

My fort has had a massive cave spider infestation the likes of which I've never seen. there's webs absolutely everywhere and even 4 cats could not put a dent to their production.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37181 on: September 18, 2014, 09:19:13 am »

One of the three Hailchannel orphans died recently due to a lack of yarn. Theirs is a sad tale. The father had a total of three mining accidents, the final of which took his life after the first two broke his arm, nose and another dwarf in half. Their mother went melancholy shortly later, attempting to make an artefact. Rith the Firstborn of the fortress still lives, her twelfth birthday approaches. Her only sister isn't dead yet either. 

NomeQueEuLembro

• Bay Watcher
  • [COFFE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37182 on: September 18, 2014, 09:29:26 am »

Just started a new fort in a mix of good/evil biomes (I didn't even knew it was possible). After an "it's raining stinking goo" I was naive enough to assume it wouldn't rain in the good half of the map.

Well, It did and now I have to try another fort (Got FUN in less than 5 minutes. That's my personal record.)

UPDATE! (Yeah, I'm updating before postin'.)

I'm gonna make the story even better by reclaming it and letting the dwarves have fun. Then I'm gonna have a awesome-expedition to tame this place and have a lot of glory. That's gonna make an awesome story.

EDIT:
It seems like it don't evil-rain in the good biome, but my Wagon is located on the evil biome lol
It's just a tiny square around my main gate, what's really an annoyance and a bless at the same time.

EDIT [2]:
Now I keep getting the "An ambush! Drive then out!" message that centers on a random unrevealed spot, probably in my single cave. What could be it?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:02:23 am by NomeQueEuLembro »
Likes weremammoths for it's awesomeness. Also, got a trumpet that menaces with spikes of sheep wool.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37183 on: September 18, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »

I am about 1/2 way done paving the entire upper world with green glass as a method of controlling the vicious tree population.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37184 on: September 18, 2014, 02:07:42 pm »

Then comes the were-hyena transformation, and of course I forgot that I'd nicknamed my dabbling militarydwarf/fisherdwarf who'd been bitten multiple times by the original were-hyena 'Potential Werehyena', and wasn't keeping an eye on him throughout the zomb invasion ;) So I zoom to him to see how many people he's going to jump on and attack and see.. luckily.. that he's laid up in the hospital! And all my hospitals are individual doored rooms (to close against the stink if anyone happens to die), so the were-hyena's door also magically locked when it transformed :D

Don't forget to do something with that were. I locked one into his bedroom by forbidding the door and then got distracted, a few months later he finally broke down the door and went on a bit of a rampage. Remember, a were is a building destroyer, confine it with raise drawbridges or completely wall it in. Doors will hold for a few transforms, but not forever.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 ... 2477 2478 [2479] 2480 2481 ... 3838