Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3467 3468 [3469] 3470 3471 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852050 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52020 on: April 09, 2018, 03:57:03 pm »

Has anyone had any luck breeding rocs in recent versions? In past versions it caused loyalty cascades. I have seven rocs and I want to breed tame ones.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52021 on: April 09, 2018, 04:14:00 pm »

Has anyone had any luck breeding rocs in recent versions? In past versions it caused loyalty cascades. I have seven rocs and I want to breed tame ones.

IIRC if the roc has never attacked a member of your cig (including pets/livestock) then it will not cause loyalty cascades when trained. I think this means you can breed untamed rocs (since apparently they can mate through cages) and then tame the children. I'm not sure, though.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52022 on: April 10, 2018, 04:51:58 pm »

I just seized the last elven caravan to show up and then sent 2 squads to raid their nearest location, war is upon the world.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52023 on: April 11, 2018, 01:17:53 pm »

I was trying to make fort focused on warmongering, yet with no success, due to lack of ores for weapon industry or not getting enough candidates to fill vacancy in squads.
So it was the fifth or fourth time when I was embarking, this time in Fortress Ironfist in the Familial Mountain of the Labyrinthine Land. I instantly got a message that I have located Eststekhash, Fleahell, a cave. I saw t, hit "v"iew to discover it was a troglodyte, and then went to unit list to see how many of them there is and where they are. There were four other creatures. Three trogs,
and THE DRAGON.

He is living in his open lair, moving slowly in it, feeling uncontested, with cow bone bracelet as his tresure. Cave's passage is in front of him, and entrence just three z-levels higher. Trogs are running from Fleahell into wilderness and back from time to time, like if they are testing if the dragon is blind. I and dwarves under my command are not so suicidal, but I am not sure what will happen when the beast would ever move from his rutine. Now is spring, I trying to make as much cage traps as possible before the migrants or caravan would show up. Or I will arm all my dwarves and let them charge at him. Probably both.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52024 on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:41 pm »

I was trying to make fort focused on warmongering, yet with no success, due to lack of ores for weapon industry or not getting enough candidates to fill vacancy in squads.
So it was the fifth or fourth time when I was embarking, this time in Fortress Ironfist in the Familial Mountain of the Labyrinthine Land. I instantly got a message that I have located Eststekhash, Fleahell, a cave. I saw t, hit "v"iew to discover it was a troglodyte, and then went to unit list to see how many of them there is and where they are. There were four other creatures. Three trogs,
and THE DRAGON.

He is living in his open lair, moving slowly in it, feeling uncontested, with cow bone bracelet as his tresure. Cave's passage is in front of him, and entrence just three z-levels higher. Trogs are running from Fleahell into wilderness and back from time to time, like if they are testing if the dragon is blind. I and dwarves under my command are not so suicidal, but I am not sure what will happen when the beast would ever move from his rutine. Now is spring, I trying to make as much cage traps as possible before the migrants or caravan would show up. Or I will arm all my dwarves and let them charge at him. Probably both.
Do not charge. He may be friendly if unprovoked. Just arm cage traps wherever he can get out.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52025 on: April 11, 2018, 06:27:16 pm »

I discovered that if you retire/unretire a fort, any caged semi-megabeasts become "current residents" of your fort but don't become hostile to any dwarves there.  I had two ettins and a giant on display in cages in my museum.  When I unretired, they were let lose and now they've contented themselves with just wandering around the museum. I've taken to calling them my museum guards.

The minotaurs, unfortunately, wandered off somewhere. They like hanging out in my church for some reason. Minotaur paladins?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52026 on: April 12, 2018, 02:45:53 pm »

I discovered that if you retire/unretire a fort, any caged semi-megabeasts become "current residents" of your fort but don't become hostile to any dwarves there.  I had two ettins and a giant on display in cages in my museum.  When I unretired, they were let lose and now they've contented themselves with just wandering around the museum. I've taken to calling them my museum guards.

The minotaurs, unfortunately, wandered off somewhere. They like hanging out in my church for some reason. Minotaur paladins?
Wait a minute, I might be able to breed my giants. That would be cool as hell.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52027 on: April 12, 2018, 02:47:23 pm »

Does that have anything to do with sentients not being hostile bug that affects wild trolls and such?
In a time before time, I had a name.

kkjazy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52028 on: April 13, 2018, 06:40:15 am »

A 400+ strong Elven army attacked my fort. Besides the typical spearman or archer they had giant war tigers, hamsters, squirrels, mosquitoes and owls (among other more exotic animals)
Defending my fort was my 90 strong army. 1 squad of swordsdwarves, 3 squads of hammerdwarves, 3 squads of marksdwarves, 1 squad of speardwarves and 1 squad of axedwarves. Unfortunately the spear and axe dwarves couldn't do much since I was in the middle of equipping them with newly mined adamantine. Many dwarves were also missing their armor since I was upgrading them from iron to steel. I wasn't prepared for such an attack.

I killed a third of their army before the rest fled and only lost two dwarves - a cook and one of my swordsdwarves. At least a dozen were badly injured though, and 7 of them are suffering infections despite being cleaned with clean water & soap. Is there no way to cure infections?
It's been 3 months since the battle and I'm still picking up bodies off my land.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also been attacked by 2 cyclops in a year. It must be the Elves  :-\

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52029 on: April 13, 2018, 01:57:44 pm »

I just avoided a complete disaster, my now near 20 years old fortress nearly died because of a single cage.

On this fortress i have decided to keep all the animals instead of killing/butchering most of them, and as usual to avoid some possible framerate problem with animals doing something buggy with their pathfinding, i make a cage, build it at some place in the fortress and put every single of the animals inside (as a single cage can contain infinite amount of them).
The difference with past fortress is that i left a very lot of animals alive and put them all in the cage instead of only keeping a few, and that is probably why i never noticed this before.

Years later , i started to notice several messages spamming about being unable to bring food to a wounded dwarf (as we just killed a hundred of elves, one of them managed to still get inside the fortress and hurt a dwarf before being taken out).

I checked if someone wasn't stuck on a tree or if by any bad luck i had somehow wrongly defined a burrow , but no everything was correct .

While looking around i noticed the farm was empty of anything growing.
Huh ? it had worked for so many years and fed the whole populace all that time without a problem.
I checked my stock and i still had several hundred of plump helmet spawns and all the farmers were still alive and kicking, and the stock had mention of 0 food ! so i had no idea what the hell was going on, why those farmers weren't growing anymore plump helmet for food.
My fortress was going to see dwarves dying from famine soon.

Until i checked the cage that just got an animal dying inside of it as i was thinking of probably butchering a lot of them to get food.
... All those hundred of plump helmet spawns were inside of it ! And after checking the internet looks like it's one of DF known bugs, as when your dwarves bring plump helmets to animals , a seed is left behind but unlike for dwarves nutrition, that seed is left inside the cage forever, the dwarves NEVER try to bring it back to the stockpiles or use it in the farm.

From the stocks i marked all the plump helmet spawn to dump , and only then all the dwarves went to collect them , after that i marked them all for "undump" and the farmers went to immediately use them on the farm.
I was a bit anxious as it took time to grow the new plump helmet into food, but fortunately when it happened the dwarves were still all alive, they rushed to the stockpile to eat them though :D

Lesson learned for next time , time for a lot of animal butchering.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52030 on: April 13, 2018, 05:45:03 pm »

Finally after six months, someone finally got around to smelting the galena I wanted smelted for the final two parts of my giant fuck-off keep.

Poking above all the trees now stands my wonderful marble keep, capped entirely in silver! Its glistening shine will attract all around! Just need a couple windows and some kind of use for all the rooms.
Did a bit of trading with the elves, hopefully getting a mate for my female giant hippo and a cheetah, and went and rubber stamped a bunch of bards - two year wait time is way shorter than the 9 minimum before I get any "in-house" workers ready.

Oh, and I bashed in the elf diplomat's brains, the sneaky little shit. Carted the body off before the merchants saw him.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52031 on: April 13, 2018, 07:53:03 pm »

when your dwarves bring plump helmets to animals , a seed is left behind but unlike for dwarves nutrition, that seed is left inside the cage forever, the dwarves NEVER try to bring it back to the stockpiles or use it in the farm.
Considering the path of a seed through the animal's body, why don't you go get it if you want it so much.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52032 on: April 14, 2018, 01:32:33 am »

Actually, I can imagine that said path greatly increases the spawn's value. Consider civet coffee. As for gathering, that's not much trouble, I took following image from Wikipedia:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the way, that's exactly how I imagine that cage full of pooped spawn looks like. And you had another animals in there? You monster!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52033 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:20 am »

Considering how starving those dwarves were, i'm sure they were more than happy to collect poop-ed seeds.
After all that's what they do for themselves when they eat plump helmets, that's the dwarven way :D

Anyways, a forest titan came, another one after the few i already destroyed.
As it's been 20 years, the majority of my military are legendary weaponmasters by now and are very well equipped with steel and iron, they have been crushing titans, rocs and armies of elves and gobs invading since a lot of time.

So let's say i was rather surprising to see what would follow, as apparently it was a very angry titan and the first 3 of my brave legendary troopers met an horrible fate.

Wow in a few seconds 3 legendary warriors were killed without mercy, and the most skilled of them all, my militia commander couldn't even do anything before getting killed.

Fortunately another swordmaster finally put an end to the threat by stabbing the brain of the titan with his custom named steel short sword and killing the damn thing instantly.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52034 on: April 14, 2018, 11:30:07 am »

What kind of animal the titan was?
Pages: 1 ... 3467 3468 [3469] 3470 3471 ... 3836