Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3751 3752 [3753] 3754 3755

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 4472651 times)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56280 on: September 25, 2021, 12:57:41 pm »

I have temples, a library and a tavern and I always get visitors but nobody petitions for residency.  Anyone know why?  Been like this for years.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56281 on: September 25, 2021, 07:38:21 pm »

Are you at pop cap? The soft population cap applies to visitors, but won't apply to new babies (and I think the king/queen's consorts).
Smallhands - tiny succession fort!
Matrix/Element Dwarf Fortress channel: #dwarf-fortress:matrix.org

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56282 on: September 25, 2021, 07:54:16 pm »

No I'm about 18 under it, and I already have several visitors.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56283 on: September 26, 2021, 01:43:39 am »

Are all the visitors criminals and undead?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56284 on: September 26, 2021, 02:53:17 am »

Seems unlikely - it may be worth putting a bug in on the mantis bugtracker. If visitors are visiting, they should be trying to join occasionally, especially if this has gone on for a few years.

Have you had return visitors, that you've noticed?

Edit: I found this bug. Have you met with the outpost liaison already?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:02:47 am by delphonso »

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56285 on: September 26, 2021, 12:11:25 pm »

I caught a breeding pair of giant grizzly bears and they have successfully bred! In a few years I'm going to be leading out an army of 50 hippo-sized grizzly bears to wipe out the necromancers. Plus, they are adorable in GemSet:

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56286 on: September 26, 2021, 07:28:24 pm »

Seems unlikely - it may be worth putting a bug in on the mantis bugtracker. If visitors are visiting, they should be trying to join occasionally, especially if this has gone on for a few years.

Have you had return visitors, that you've noticed?

Edit: I found this bug. Have you met with the outpost liaison already?

Yes, long time ago.  The outpost liaison immigrated too.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56287 on: September 26, 2021, 07:31:58 pm »

Yes, long time ago.  The outpost liaison immigrated too.

I'd recommend reporting it, then. It's hard to show a negative result - but if it's been years and you've met the requirements, it seems odd that it hasn't happened yet.

Plus, they are adorable in GemSet:

They really are - probably not for the necromancers, though  ;)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56288 on: September 26, 2021, 07:53:57 pm »

Are all the visitors criminals and undead?

Some are undead but not all.  I get regular elf scholars, elf poets, human mercenaries.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56289 on: September 28, 2021, 10:20:54 am »

My first artefact in current fort was made by a legendary armorsmith (who came with the first wave of migrants). Sure, he gained additional five levels of legendary, but there are other armorers, who would be happy to get that experience boost instead.
But did he make something cool?

Steel greaves, which I think is the most expensive type of armor (along with leggings). Could be worse (like a left gauntlet or something similarly useless). As an addendum, my second mood also happened to a legendary dwarf (bone crafter), who made a chain, out of a shell. Greaves are better. Now I have two legendary 20 LEV dwarves, but feel that moods are wasted even more.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56290 on: September 30, 2021, 04:39:17 am »

Made a fort for the first time in a while. I'm building a massive above-ground castle where I can have marksdwarves shoot from, but it's taking a while due to the sheer amount of blocks I need.

I got attacked by a Giantess and the last few dwarves to get in were slow enough that the bridge closed just after the Giantess got in. It killed a lot of my dogs and both my bears, a dwarf and crippled another; yet it still got killed despite my complete lack of a military at that point. So I consider that a success.

I've dug quite deep and I am yet to find a cavern, which is somewhat annoying when I want to capture underground beasties. On the other hand, what I have found is that my embark site seems to have an absolutely massive amount of Silver, and a decent amount of Gold.

Like; there's 6~7 Z-levels just full of silver. I've never really done much with non-military metals; so I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with all this silver.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56291 on: September 30, 2021, 05:03:42 am »

Like; there's 6~7 Z-levels just full of silver. I've never really done much with non-military metals; so I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with all this silver.
Have you considered building part of your castle out of it?  I would at least make doors, hatches, statues, furniture, etc... but maybe you have enough for a whole tower?
The cave crocodile bites the miner in the lower body, lightly tapping the target! - DF
The hoary marmot corpse looks surprised by the ferocity of the Spearmaster's onslaught. - DF

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56292 on: September 30, 2021, 05:19:52 am »

Have you considered building part of your castle out of it?  I would at least make doors, hatches, statues, furniture, etc... but maybe you have enough for a whole tower?

I could definitely build a silver tower. I'd rather just get the main fortification done first however so standard blocks will do for that. I can always upgrade as I go. My metal industry isn't really strong right now; with no caverns yet I'm limited on wood, let alone magma forges.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56293 on: September 30, 2021, 01:13:50 pm »

A third mood in my fort, and a third legendary dwarf gets it. This time a Weaver got upgraded to Level 27, as if it would make any difference. The game seriously wants to annoy me. Hope it's only bad luck, not a new "feature" (this is my first fort in v.0.47.05).

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56294 on: September 30, 2021, 06:02:46 pm »

I got a very similar situation. A fort in a Good tropical forest, with unicorns and regular visits from the elves.. and 5 z levels filled with two types of iron ores and flux stone, just below the surface. War with the elves seems inevitable, because I decided it will all be turned to steel in coal-powered ovens, so I can get rid of annoying trees while at it.

But now to decide.. what to make from all of that steel?
Pages: 1 ... 3751 3752 [3753] 3754 3755