Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 833090 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6870 on: April 29, 2019, 02:49:07 pm »

Also, if a Tavern Brawler (has the feat) tosses an oil flask at someone, does he deal 1d4+Dex damage?
It deals 1d4+Str (not Dex, as it is thrown and doesn't have finesse), even without the feat. The feat lets you add your proficiency modifier to the attack roll.
Uh... Ranged attacks are Dex-based. Thrown attacks can be Str-based, but all ranged attacks can be Dex-based, Thrown or not. Finesse is only for melee.
So basically, Ranged is Dex, and melee is Str, but Thrown and Finesse let you choose which Attack Stat you want to use for the attack.

I may be wrong about a weapon that actually has the Thrown property (I do not think so, though.), but that's somewhat moot in this case, as oil does not have the Thrown property.

As found in another discussion of this type;
"Weapons in the Ranged Weapon category with the Thrown property- like the net- use Dex as per PHB p.14 ("For attacks with ranged weapons, use your Dexterity modifier for attack and damage rolls. A weapon that has the thrown property, such as a handaxe, can use your Strength modifier instead."). The 'can' is there because the thrown section on PHB p.147 sometimes overrides that via "If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon.". "
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:15:08 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: April 29, 2019, 04:02:33 pm »

Hm, you're right, it's not actually an attack with a thrown weapon, just a plain "ranged attack", and doesn't assign a stat, so throwing oil defaults to using Dex. I assumed it would be Str and never Dex, since that's the case for javelins, the most popular throwing weapon:
Quote from: Player's Handbook, p. 147, the very section you referred.
For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or your Dexterity, since the dagger has the finesse property.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: May 02, 2019, 07:26:10 pm »

Is there a roleplaying guide to playing a paladin of redemption somewhere?

And how does one play a coward without making it annoying?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:29:45 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: May 02, 2019, 09:03:21 pm »

how does one play a coward without making it annoying?

I'm going to skip past the universal talk-to-your-group advice about buy-in that's valid for any potentially annoying character concept and say that, for cowardice in particular, what you probably want to do is figure out a single, critical moment to fail in which your cowardice is going to stop being a background event (before which it's ideal to limit yourself to suggestions of less risky alternatives) and becomes A Problem for the party. Make it memorable because you only get one, and ideally time it so that it costs the group something significant but not vital. Work with people here, especially the GM. Needless deaths of well-liked but plot-peripheral NPCs, particularly innocents, are great for this, and if the GM knows you want that they're not hard to work into the story. Then use that failure, and the antipathy it generates, as the focal point in your character arc.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: May 02, 2019, 10:08:25 pm »

Is there a roleplaying guide to playing a paladin of redemption somewhere?

Do it in the kind of game that doesn't revolve around combat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: May 02, 2019, 10:26:03 pm »

Convince your GM to put in encounters with strong enemies that would be impractical for the party to beat, forcing either tactical prudence or awesome heroics.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: May 02, 2019, 10:31:55 pm »

Convince your GM to put in encounters with strong enemies that would be impractical for the party to beat, forcing either tactical prudence or awesome heroics.
Neither of those are cowardice.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: May 02, 2019, 10:53:42 pm »

Play a wizard that summons critters to do the fight for him
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: May 03, 2019, 01:44:55 am »

A conjurer of cheap tricks?
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: May 03, 2019, 02:17:44 am »

Fight, Flight, Freeze. Realistic fear is characterized more by uncertainty and stress reactions.
Maybe you lash out at things you don't understand, striking at them as soon as they look the slightest bit threatening. (Fight)
Maybe you promise to meet with the king, but at the last moment chase a pretty criminal into the sewers and remain there for as long as the excuse lasts, hoping to come up with another before then. (Flight).
Maybe the villain causes an avalanche while trying to escape and you don't know whether to keep chasing the villain or to go rescue the innocents under the avalanche...so you do neither. (Freeze)
Make the cowardice a serious weakness of character rather than comic relief, and roleplay it emotively. Outside of stressful situations, act bravely (you are an adventurer, after all), but when the dice fall, falter. Let the fear show in the uncertainty in your voice, and make it clear that the character hates second-guessing themself but can't help it. Be angry towards yourself afterwards, and discuss with your party members (in character) for ways you could improve. Next time in a similar situation, decide whether the character falters again or if they have grown enough since then to act with certainty. In doing so, make it a clear character development arc with the usual aesop: true bravery isn't not being afraid, it's acting despite being afraid.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: May 08, 2019, 01:57:09 pm »

Someone claimed that there were three pacifistic Unearthed Arcana subclasses. I know the Oath of Redemption, and I think there was such a monk sublclass, but what is the third?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: May 08, 2019, 03:16:16 pm »

I don't think there is a specifically pacifistic third subclass like there is for the way of tranquility monk and oath of redemption paladin. There's a few subclasses that make the character perhaps less violence focused then other subclasses of that class, protection cleric, divine soul sorcerer, celestial warlocks, maybe even Ancestral Guardian barbarians. But I wouldn't call any of these options pacifistic. I'd be interested to hear if there was a third one I didn't know of though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: May 09, 2019, 07:39:14 am »

Does he have to be a combat coward?  I guess it depends on the party but when i think of professional fantasy adventurers, I can't really see cowardice as a viable option.   Its risking horrible death in a pitch black hole as a profession. 

I'd consider forms of cowardice unique to the Dying In A Hole Profession.  He can't handle losing another friend so he's subconsciously resolved to just never have friends, and pushes people away when they get close.  Or maybe he has one specific trigger that makes him freeze up or lose combat discipline, like rats or disease or undead.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: May 09, 2019, 08:37:52 am »

I saw a fun twist someone came up with where you play a cowardly/anxious barbarian. The rages are just the stress taking over and triggering a fight reaction instead of flight or freeze, blindly lashing out at whatever perceived threat is nearby out of terror.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: May 09, 2019, 12:14:09 pm »

I just thought of an interesting character idea.
A Neutral Evil character basically ignores morality in the search for something.
My idea is a NE character whose goal is to acquire Respect and Loyalty.
From here we have a choice:Does he only want them for himself, or does he himself give them to others?
 In either case, the character is not going to, in general, act very evil, and probably act good, possibly even lawful good, as that is more efficient for gaining Respect and Loyalty.
 The one that takes it all for himself, his only concern is whether an action is going to accrue him more Loyalty and Respect, with no actual caring for others in any way, shape, or form.
 The second option, giving them to others, I find more interesting, as he essentially has an entirely alternative, blue and orange morale system. He is likely to refuse to loot the corpses of enemies, unless they forfeited respect, then bury them and give them a funeral. He will never betray anyone, for any reason than their own lack of loyalty, and a very large amount of disrespect, not just to him, but to others.
If you have earned his disrespect, most likely by disrespect, or through betrayal (In either case, either of himself, or of others.), he will do anything he likes with you, with the only things limiting him is his desire to retain other people's Respect and Loyalty.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 622