Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849085 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #300 on: June 27, 2015, 09:59:16 pm »

I just tried my first point-buy game. Had been generously given 25 points, though I'm still not very fond of the system. I know that characters can't all be ass-kicking masters of all trades, but I guess I'm too used to having well-rounded stats, or just haven't played point-buy enough to get used to it. Still, I'm not MAD or anything, so I have no reason to be annoyed with having a few weaknesses. I'm playing a fighter, using the archer archetype. Only really need dex and strength.

I'm doing alright, so far. Just hit level five. Wish I had a few more skill points to throw around though. Any recommendations on combat maneuvers? This archetype allows me to use some maneuvers on enemies up to thirty feet away, though at a -4 penalty. I am a Strix, and thus can fly, so mobility and being threatened isn't as much of an issue.

If I have feats to spare later on I may get a few of the new flier feats introduced in the Inner Sea Monster Codex. Fliers get a few new tricks in there. Edit: Can't seem to find them on the usual fansites I frequent. Might have just not been added yet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:04:08 am by BlackFlyme »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 28, 2015, 08:19:13 am »

Is this dnd 3.5/4/5 or pathfinder?
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 28, 2015, 09:10:11 am »

So in my game... I kind of... exaggerated the amount of corpses a murderer was having...

To the point where... yeah he was basically depopulating the city.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 28, 2015, 09:37:59 am »

Some murderers do that level of killing. They tend to be political in nature, but some do.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2015, 09:45:01 am »

It was several hundred people( that we could see, possibly more). Depending on the size of the city, that is a sizeable chunck of the population.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2015, 09:45:45 am »

It was to the point that a couple dozen more was acceptable collateral damage :D
Nom nom nom

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2015, 09:49:16 am »

a dozen more, at most (fox lady+guards?)

Which is great, because the 'heroes' would have been hunted criminals otherwise.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 28, 2015, 12:17:54 pm »

Is this dnd 3.5/4/5 or pathfinder?

Ah, should have clarified. It's Pathfinder.

So far the party consists of me, the strix archer fighter, a human cleric/fighter who wields a great-axe, a human warpriest, who is also an archer, and a half-elf alchemist.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 28, 2015, 01:36:04 pm »

Since it's pathfinder I would strongly reccomend making a ranger instead of an archer fighter then.  You get more skill points, better feats (because you can skip pre-reqs with some of the ranger talents) and just in general will be more of your 'strong, good all around' type of dude.
Nom nom nom

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2015, 01:43:16 pm »

And because we can see how my Strix ranger and your Strix ranger turn out. :P
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 28, 2015, 01:45:17 pm »

I'm not too miffed about having fewer skill points, though I definitely prefer having a good intelligence or playing a class with a few more points per level. I've got 12 int, so I get three points. I may ask the DM if we can use the background/adventuring skill rules introduced in Unchained. That would give two more points for 'background' skills for everyone.

But I'm enjoying my archer archetype fighter so far. It's funny to be able to disarm a dude from 30 feet away.

If anyone cares, here's a rough plan for how I am planning to slot my feats:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll be pumping dex before anything else, I know that much. I also know that I will want a pair of bracers of archery, and maybe some duelist gloves to increase the effects of my weapon training.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:56:17 pm by BlackFlyme »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 28, 2015, 03:39:00 pm »

You'll want high strength and a composite longbow.  Otherwise you'll be doing substantially less damage that you could be.  Honestly you want strength more than dex even.
Nom nom nom

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »

My strength is 16, dex is 18. I do have a composite bow, with the adaptive enchantment so that I do not have to readjust it when my strength changes. It's where the most of my starting gold went, with the rest going into my armour and two of the cheaper ioun stones. +1 Initiative for only 500 gold with a cracked dusty rose, plus another 800 gold for a +2 to the skill of my choice, changeable once daily with a cracked magenta prism.

I'm a bit more concerned with being able to consistently land hits, though between weapon training, weapon focus, other feats, and various magic items and such, I can definitely see your point.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2015, 04:22:55 pm »

What you'll want to do for getting hits consistently is buy alchemical items that can pin targets, have a party member trip people, and otherwise incapacitate them so that their dex bonus goes down.  At that point their AC is low enough, and your attacks per round should be high enough that the majority will land.

You can either go sniper archer, or fill the skies with arrows archer.  The later has a lot higher damage threshold but hits a lot less, and seems to be what you are going.  Ideally you'll want to be flying only 20/30 feet above the target to get point blank in there and then just fire away constantly.

Moving will be something you'll do fairly rarely as you will want to be doing full attack rounds each turn with many shot.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2015, 09:51:02 pm »

Since it's pathfinder I would strongly reccomend making a ranger instead of an archer fighter then.  You get more skill points, better feats (because you can skip pre-reqs with some of the ranger talents) and just in general will be more of your 'strong, good all around' type of dude.

I actually think the exact opposite. Fighters shame Rangers at the ranged game.

Add in that a few of the archtypes for fighters are almighty archers...

But then again Fighters are dedicated combatants and rangers are quasi-classes along side the like of the Bard and Paladin.

A Ranger isn't going to outfight a fighter nor outmagic the druid. Yet the point of them is that they are somewhere in between.

MAYBE a ranger could get more feats... maybe... but a fighter also benefits from the fighter feats. Which vastly overpower the Ranger's poultry selection.

Mind you I am just comparing the fighters training bonuses, armor bonuses, and fighter feats... add in that bows and crossbows are starved for damage...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:12:58 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 623