Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848917 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #330 on: July 05, 2015, 06:58:23 am »

Unless you make them do something they don't like and avoid treating them like particularly expendable pawns, the orphans will be extra grateful for the skill training/education and employment options they would never otherwise have obtained.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 05, 2015, 08:36:04 am »

I probably should have PTW'd this a while back.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 05, 2015, 09:06:53 am »

PTW and share experiences as the title suggests.

So, I am participating in my first DnD game- 5e, it's the one run by Fabulous Death Bringer on these forums- and I'm playing a Wood Elf Rogue.

Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2015, 10:24:06 am »

So, I've been playing Pathfinder PCs in a D&D world (due to plane-hopping shenanigans), mostly this doesn't matter but the DM is keeping us follow Pathfinder rules for our characters/spells/etc, while the D&D monsters get whatever D&D descriptions say.

Anyway, two of us come across a Succubus. My partner (Inquisitor) immediately charges and attacks her (we're Evil PCs, but not necessarily psychotic. But we were sorta going along with a female Demon that sorta talked us into attacking her), doing quite a bit of damage, but then the Succubus charms him. I run towards them with my monk, but fall short about 10' so I decide to Intimidate her (this makes the combat pause, sorta, as we engage in dialog, and she demanding to know who sent us, whatever).

This places us in a weird place. The Succubus is now the Inquisitor's "friend", I'm just an acquaintance of his (we're a kinda advance scout for a Team Evil plane-invasion force). Yet, I've not made any hostile moves towards either. She's all "defend meee!" and my plan is going to be like "uh, yeah, let's defend your friend, mate!". If she asks why we attacked her, I'll go "yeah! why did you attack her!? I thought you were best buddies!". Hilarity will ensue, of course. Or not.

Also the Succubus is hovering at about 10' above us right now and I'm a melee character, so whatevs. Just thought it's funny how Charm spells make a mess of everything since everything that happens after them is up to interpretation :P

Oh yeah, apparently there's a +5 bonus to save vs charm if the charmer is fighting the charmed. But I have no idea if it applies if the PC attacked first.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2015, 08:15:45 pm »

Cross-posting:
Anyway, the reason I came here was to share a cool set of hex map templates made to work with the guidelines of the Province, Kingdom, Continent maps mentioned in the 5e DMG. It's not the exact size specified the DMG, (this set is the right size, although it doesn't have any sort of numbering on the hexes for reference) but it's the right scale and should work just as well for the purposes. You may or may not want to increase the amount of stuff you put on there, but, then, that's also true of the official setup.

Since I'm sharing Blog of Holding stuff, I figure I might as well also mention this nice random encounter chart template he made that encourages you to use random encounters that are more than just monsters.

Also, since I'm sharing hex map stuff, I figure I should share this thing that can make numbered hexes in any size you want, outputting it as SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) format. That same site also has a GIMP script that will let you make pretty TSR-style hex maps in GIMP, and a random generator that will output such a thing randomly. At it also has other things that aren't really related to hex mapping.

Moving on, we have Welsh Piper's hex templates which aren't made for the 5e DMG scales (especially since it came out several years before 5e), but it's a set of numbered hex templates, so it's within the theme here. And, anyway, he has a nice guide for making hex map terrain and such. (Part 1 and Part 2)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 09, 2015, 11:54:03 pm »

Personally, I would probably overkill the notion, and introduce a heightmap into my preferred CAD software, project a hexagonal lattice down onto the resulting topology,  apply some materials, and then make a presentation rendering from true normal of the map. (Straight down)

But then I am prone to overkill.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 10, 2015, 04:09:45 am »

Out of curiosity, what is your preferred CAD software, weird ?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2015, 05:06:00 am »

Dassault systemes CATIA.

It's what BOEING and pals use to make airplanes. It is modular, and has workbenches for just about every engineering task you can think of.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2015, 07:27:51 am »

Overkill indeed, when it comes to D&D maps.
Then again, if that's not up to the task, I really don't know what is ^^

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #339 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:37 am »

Blender? It seems like it does some new terrifying thing every time I look at it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2015, 12:45:57 am »

Well. My new group is interesting. On the one hand, the session opened with the the rest of the party stuck on Noah's Ark on top of a volcano and half of them doing coke, but on the other my Monk got his left arm lopped off and replaced with a cyborg arm and made $150k injecting unconscious people with a mad scientist's serum. And then we traveled to the Garden of Eden via Ettore Bugatti's PMC camp and Jurassic Park. Other notable events included one of the guys pulling a three foot long diamond dildo (it's one of the best weapons we have now) out of a stone in a forest and another accidentallying four newborn white dragons with explosive rounds while he was trying to kill another party member with his sniper rifle.

So, uh, this is going to be a thing. D&D 5e, for what it's worth.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 11, 2015, 01:29:31 am »

Literally the only thing that sounded remotely like DnD in that entire paragraph was 'monk'. The rest is either a fever dream or bad greentext. :P
Black lives matter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 11, 2015, 01:45:02 am »

Indeed. I dont recall ever seeing a "Solid diamond dildo" in ANY DND source book...

(But I wonder if that's what Mario found...)

Her chamber maid sure does freak out when you find it, that's for sure!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 11, 2015, 01:50:40 am »

Great few stories for you guys since this is my first time on.

Started my first real campaign as DM a few weeks ago, and I've been working in 5e with a High Elf (she calls it moon elf) Bard named Faen, a Half-Elf Sorcerer named Jim Darkmagic, A half-elf Paladin named Fao-Lin, a human rogue played by me named Carl, and a Gnome Barbarian by the name of Tyson-Chan, the pink haired 3ft tall loli girl who the player specified had large knockers and is going more and more insane. How insane are we talking? For starters, she's got her own houserule that she wears masks all the time, and each masks gives her buffs and debuffs. For example, she has a horse head mask that gives her +2 to persuasion, +2 to bludgeoning damage, her alignment changes to good, but she gets a -4 to intimidate and a -2 to hit, as well as the siege attacker bonus when attacking doors. The character is based on Jacket sort of, so lots of masks to pick from, and she makes her own masks from fallen enemies and allies. In fact, the paladin just died from stupidity so she turned his face into a mask that gives her smite, makes her gain +1 to AC, makes her good as well but cases her int score to drop by 4 (long story with that).

So Tyson-Chan's player is a bit of a troll, so things for Tyson-Chan go unusually strange. Party gathers at the adventurer's guild for a job, and Faen picks her up to get her to join.

So the party goes tro kill some goblins and find out that there are orcs with them. After an ambush round and everything getting their butt kicked, Tyson-chan smacks an orc and breaks his teeth and Faen picks it up in the middle of combat, reminding me and the rest of the party that despite being 32 years old , she's stuck in the mindset of a small child still as she shouts with glee that she got a pointy teeth. Combat ends, and Tyson-chan fails an intimidate check and Faen does a persuasion check which she suggested (but did not do) that she flashes the orc to get him to talk. The whole cuteness and innocent thing got the orc talking, and Tyson-chan tries again to scare the orc. She lands a critical and the orc shits his pants, and the player begins the "Shit Counter".

Later on, in the first dungeon, she's in the way, so knowing she's light enough, the bard PICKS UP AND THROWS THE BARBARIAN INTO THE ENEMY. Needless to say, the enemy were surprised of weaponized gnomes.

So they end up finding a door to the dining hall, and Tyson-chan desires to peek inside. The player rolled awful (like a total stealth of 3 I think) and so it was decided Tyson-chan doesn't make the door squeak, but makes a loud high pitched squeaking with her OWN DAMN VOICE. So the bard takes it upon herself to punish the gnome by kicking her through the door and into the enemy. Unfortunatley for Tyson-Chan, this is into the Orc berserker. The berserker fumbles his roll on hitting her after screaming in her face and failing, killing a goblin upon release. So what does the orc berserker do now he's near death? He picks up the gnome and uses Tyson-Chan the barbarian as a bludgeoning weapon to smack Carl in the face and almost kill him. The quote of the day for that session was: "Do you ever feel like beating up a motherf&#$er with another motherf*#@er?".

Next session, party is debating on what to do. They decide to rest in the abandoned larder and forget to clean up the blood in the room, despite moving/beheading the bodies (they're collecting heads). So the only person who can speak/understand orcish hears of a big orc kicking the door into the dining hall off its hinges. They hear voices coming towards the door, and barricade it with a massive keg of rotten beer. They then escape through a secret passage and fire one of Tyson-chan's firebombs. Needless to say, the flame caused the entire room to burst, forcing a cave in and even breaking the ceiling in the passageway.

Time passes and they head downstairs and find hte bedrooms. They look behind door #1 and door #2 and find nothing of note but goblin junk. The paladin in heavy armor decides to jump from the middle steps down to the basement (which they were already on) and alert every goblin and orc in their room. Upon doing a random roll, 14 goblins and 6 orcs walk out of their rooms and see a very stupid paladin and his companions. Because I had it with his stupid comments and other bullcrap, my character (who would do this in character as well) pushes the paladin into the hallways before stepping back. Needless to say, the paladin died, but he survived the entire encounter until the orcs started dragging him away and he critically failed his third death save.

Time skip to a new animal companion being made and spotting an entire room of charred and headless bodies from the explosion, the party makes it outside to see the orc chief on a winter wolf mount, four orcs and a goblin chief all ready to fight. I planned this encounter to be the orc getting away and the party fighting his lackeys and the  goblin. HOWEVER, Tyson-chan, who is at 21/35hp stands up and challenges the orc chief to a duel. At this point, I take the book I was carrying with my notes and threw it saying "THE ORC CHIEF ACCEPTS. You win, the party goes free. If you lose, the party dies." So Tyson-chan wins initiative and goes into a berserker frenzy and attacks recklessly. She proceeds to land two attacks and hurt him a decent amount (keep in mind, Tyson-chan is wearing a mask that gives no benefits to her at all during this fight). The orc lands a critical hit and a regular hit, which totaled to a huge amount, but beause of raging resisted the damage, tyson-chan only took enough damage to knock her to 6hp. She then proceeds to land a heavy hit with max damage and a miss with a second attack from frenzy, and the orc swings, and misses completely with two attacks. Tyson-chan swings again and another single hit, the orc looking worse for wear now at 1/3hp left. The chief then swings and hits, and rolls poorly in damage, leaving tyson at 1hp. Tyson-chan swings and hits twice, dropping the orc chief to 26hp. The orc swings again and lucky for tyson-chan, misses both times. The gnome then swings twice again and rolls max damage on both and I threw everything on the table off the table as I look at him and scream at him "YOU JUST F#$@ING KILLED AN ORC CHIEF BY YOURSELF WHEN YOU WERE WOUNDED."

Tyson-chan's level: 3
Orc's Challenge Rating: 4

This defeat caused the orcs to steal the winter wolf mount and flee, and the goblin drops everything as he shits his pants and surrenders. Tyson-chan's player proclaims that the gnome is unkillable, which Carl proceeds to kick her in the crotch and knock her out with sneak attack damage added on an unarmed strike.

Now, the party has met the gnome Lilli "Noshoe" who owns the shoe stall in town that seems to carry everything but shoes (the gnome pulled out a 30lb bag of clay from a handy haversack, as well as a shovel and 12 small vases, but no shoes) and watched as my character gets arrested and placed in the hole for beating an orc in prison, that he jailed himself, with his bare hands. So now the party gets a week of downtime as Carl, the DM's character, gets a week in jail and the paladin gets a free rez from the mayor who believes the quest was much more important than most quests given at the guild (to be fair, in this homebrewn world, goblins and orcs allying caused a massive war to break out that tore apart the continent the party is on).

I'm expecting more madness with Tyson-Chan as they go do some werewolf hunting. To prepare, Tyson-Chan walks up the blacksmith and holds up her greataxe above her head and shouts to the man and his son: "I have here a greataxe that I love. But I want it to be a bestaxe!" And that's the story of how the apprentice got whacked and the barbarian gnome got a silvered axe
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2015, 02:26:25 am »

Literally the only thing that sounded remotely like DnD in that entire paragraph was 'monk'. The rest is either a fever dream or bad greentext. :P
Indeed. I dont recall ever seeing a "Solid diamond dildo" in ANY DND source book...

(But I wonder if that's what Mario found...)

Her chamber maid sure does freak out when you find it, that's for sure!

Yeah, I was warned ahead of time that other than the DM I was the only person with prior D&D experience, and that he was taking a very go-with-the-flow approach so that people could concentrate on having fun, which ended up including a lot of houseruling. I mean, it's not what I was expecting, and it's only D&D in the sense that we're using the system and character classes, but it's fun enough to play, and the sessions last around six hours, so I've got my fix.

Also, Bugatti's PMC camp? It had a fountain laced with LSD. There was a great moment where we were trying to sneak past a T-Rex that was gorging itself on a Stego, and it critfailed its Perception check; it dove headfirst into the carcass and couldn't get up for a while. That was toward the end of the session and things needed to get to a stopping point, so when it did get back up, it ended up being chased off by a Deva named Starlord riding a raptor. It's disjointed and weird, but thank fucking god it isn't a pileup of munchkins and rules lawyers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 623