Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848900 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #630 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:43 am »

Once again, this is discerning the smell, not WHY he smells like it. I agree with the the craft alchemy though
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 07, 2015, 08:31:24 am »

Just smelling it? Either a Charisma check to hide it from the Voglodorf or a Wisdom or Search check to notice it. Wisdom because "general awareness of your surroundings" often fall under it and Search because iirc most creatures with string nose sense get that represented as a bonus to Search.

As for the DC... Well, that would depend on how you define "smell faintly".
Love, scriver~

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 07, 2015, 10:44:50 am »

I'm half expecting this guy one day to let one rip and the entire party, after they discover he smells of brimstone, flip their shit over the smell getting stronger
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 08, 2015, 04:07:58 am »

Elemental sulfur (brimstone) doesn't actually smell like rotten eggs though. You're confusing it with hydrogen sulfide.

Sulfur apparently smells similar to a match (admittedly a much more menacing aroma), and I don't think people would be familiar with it without experience in what it is, considering this is a quasi-medieval universe we're talking about. So you might need alchemical knowledge to properly identify it, since a common individual would never have smelled such a thing in all likelihood, while somebody who's worked with brimstone before would.

Wikipedia also tells me that brimstone might refer to burning sulfur, which would produce the suffocating smell of sulfur dioxide. Also probably a match-like smell, but more unpleasant (having accidentally inhaled match fumes before, I speak from limited experience). Brimstone is associated with abyssal, infernal and daemonic things largely because it's associated with Hell - and this association comes from observations of volcanic activity, where sulfur dioxide would be found emanating from the earth. People living near volcanoes in the fantasy world in question would know it as a "get the fuck away or you'll die" signal from collective experience, if the suffocating aroma wasn't enough.

So, list of people who know what brimstone smells like:
1) alchemists - average Craft (Alchemy),
2) people who are experienced with volcanoes - difficult Knowledge (Geography) or a very particular background,
3) people who have been near a fiend in their life - having bothered to smell a fiend before or difficult Knowledge (Planes).

Anywho, since it is a "faint" aroma, being unspeakably flatulent would probably cover it up anyway (that is, unless it is supernatural in origin and deliberately unmaskable).

I think you could, however, work the misguided idea that demons ought to smell like rotten eggs into the world's folklore, and that actual yugoloths and other B.O.-challenged demons would see no need to correct this idea. Folklore should very often be wrong, you know, since it is in essence an amplified rumor.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:27:06 am by Harry Baldman »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 08, 2015, 04:22:46 am »

Elemental sulfur (brimstone) doesn't actually smell like rotten eggs though. You're confusing it with hydrogen sulfide.

Which is completely irrelevant, because the smell they (and anyone ever) are referring to when saying "smell of sulfur" is the smell of rotten eggs.
Love, scriver~

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 08, 2015, 04:31:37 am »

Which is completely irrelevant, because the smell they (and anyone ever) are referring to when saying "smell of sulfur" is the smell of rotten eggs.

But they call it the smell of brimstone, not sulfur. Thus, sulfur dioxide or elemental sulfur. It makes more sense for them to smell like volcanic emissions than a sulfur spring. It's a more otherworldly, menacing scent (it was, for instance, to preachers - when they speak of fire and brimstone, you can be sure they don't mean rotten eggs with that last part).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:34:56 am by Harry Baldman »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2015, 04:38:09 am »

I'm trying to think of a way to run a game set in the Witcher's universe, but the only ruleset I can think of that might fit is some sort of unholy combination of DnD 5E and Dark Heresy. Got any other suggestions for what might work?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2015, 07:22:57 am »

For doing the witcher series, I'd reccomend maybe stealing http://www.ironthronepublishing.com/downloads/BladeExtractOpt.pdf  Blade of the Iron Throne's combat system.  It focuses heavily on maneuvers and countering the fighting style of your enemy which I feel would fit excellently with the witcher series.  ((please note that link is just the first chapter or two, you'd need to find the actual rulebook elsewhere.))

Otherwise, did you want the PC's to be witchers themselves as well?  Other than forcing cross classing in alchemist I can't think of a way to simulate witcher mutagens off the top of my head... unless you wanted to write up a full custom list.
Nom nom nom

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2015, 07:38:45 am »

I'm trying to think of a way to run a game set in the Witcher's universe, but the only ruleset I can think of that might fit is some sort of unholy combination of DnD 5E and Dark Heresy. Got any other suggestions for what might work?
I don't suppose it's going to be a Play by Post game here, is it?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2015, 07:51:11 am »

Honestly speaking, no idea. I'm exploring possibilities for even running the game, and it could be hosted here, or it could be done IRL with those of my friends who are quite into Witcher's lore.

Thanks for the suggestion Kila.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2015, 04:41:04 pm »

Antidisease really? Antidisease?

That is the most ridiculous alchemical thing I have ever seen in pathfinder.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2015, 04:43:22 pm »

Sounds quite literal, really.
Antitoxin, counters poisons. Antidisease, counters disease.
Don't see the problem.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 08, 2015, 04:54:33 pm »

Don't see the problem.

Yes but what IS it?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 08, 2015, 05:00:48 pm »

Extract of fruit from the orange tree.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 08, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »

Don't see the problem.

Yes but what IS it?

It cures or prevents disease.

If you're asking what ingredients it has, or how it works, I will point out alchemy, and it is explicitly described as magical in nature.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 623