Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849034 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3090 on: January 09, 2017, 05:12:18 pm »

I recently listened to a radio show about religion and medicine, and it came up how in parts West Africa the recent outbreak of ebola was made more severe by the burial rites of the populace. According to the doctor, ebola is at it's most contagious just around the point of death, and the wake or burial included ritual cleaning of the body by family and friends, causing lots of opportunities for the disease to spread further. A lot of trouble with how badly the epidemic became came from how they had trouble making people forsake this ritual and instead just burn their bodies - it is their ritualised way of saying farewell to their loved ones, after all, and just burning them meant they neither got to say good bye properly and that the bodies where still "unclean".

I wonder if the outbreak had any permanent change on their rites, or if they went back to the same kind of cleaning when the epidemic was over.

I mean, of course an epidemic is not necessarily like an undead invasion. But the idea is sort of the same.
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: January 09, 2017, 05:15:06 pm »

Well, all my players needed was a map given to them by a mysterious old man and a warning that it contained great danger and even greater wealth.

Seriously, adventurers and common sense are oil and water.

Thanks so much for the ideas! I'm definitely using these, if not in the current dungeon than later in a different one.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: January 09, 2017, 07:46:52 pm »

Also, why would an adventurer go into a crypt if there wasn't a necromancer, assuming they aren't just tomb robbers? Unless you're planning to pillage either the bodies or the burial goods, there's not a huge amount of reason to go down there.

Because they are adventurers and it is a place. There's no room for reason when there are people to loot and treasures to kill.

Hell, there's a Paladin over there taking the pants off a corpse as we speak.

In other news, it turns out this siege has so little time for rest that the book says we can't even take items off of the Orcs we kill. Apparently it's a very loot-light adventure. Fuck me that's going to suck.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: January 12, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »

Demons The Possessed campaign:  We split the party *again*, 2 and 2.  At 1 and 2 morality, Jen and Brian (me) nailed a farmer in his basement because he was annoying (but not worth the complication of a murder).  But then we found out he had a wife, so naturally we needed to tidy up all the loose ends.  For some reason Brian went into the basement first, and the farmer caught him in the back with an axe.  Took juuuust enough damage to collapse and start bleeding out, while Jen shot the farmer dead with her darts.  (The darts contain Sean's deadly poisonous blood...  Pride is a weird vice)

Then we misread the stabilization rules... again, LOL.  So we were pretty sure I was dead, but this morning I checked again.  The section's literally self contradictory but, yeah, apparently my fellow demonically-possessed psycho did manage to bind the wound.  It's probably going to get infected as all hell and they'll have to drag me back to the road, but woo!  I didn't want to lose that character.
In our defense, it was like 4AM and the wine was running dry.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: January 13, 2017, 05:17:16 pm »

I had to play a game of chess for my character's soul.  It wasn't sure exactly how...
First thought was an in-game skillcheck, which would have been masterfully easy, but no.
Secondly I expected a game of chess between our Fallen London characters.  Which...  I *think* the odds would be for me, but horribly slightly.

And, to be fair, I did make a solid argument by the rules that my character was very much alive.

No...  I had to play Chess against the DM.  And I don't play chess much.  Occasional games against my father, which are... Mm.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: January 13, 2017, 09:58:47 pm »

Well, after an encounter with a Greater Shadow in a corridor sized for small creatures, a room with three Spectres inside, and another Greater Shadow in a flooded underwater secret tunnel, our party's Samurai officially spat the dummy and announced he wants to dump this dungeon for something that isn't full of incorporeal creatures. Hehehe, mission accomplished!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: January 13, 2017, 10:03:53 pm »

I had to play a game of chess for my character's soul.  It wasn't sure exactly how...
First thought was an in-game skillcheck, which would have been masterfully easy, but no.
Secondly I expected a game of chess between our Fallen London characters.  Which...  I *think* the odds would be for me, but horribly slightly.

And, to be fair, I did make a solid argument by the rules that my character was very much alive.

No...  I had to play Chess against the DM.  And I don't play chess much.  Occasional games against my father, which are... Mm.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, that's certainly a way to enforce method acting for the roleplay part :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: January 13, 2017, 10:12:46 pm »

I'm curious, in 5e just how unfeasible is a melee wizard?

If I ever play a game I'm sorely tempted to give it a go for laughs.

There are definitely classes MADE to be able to do that better... Including Warlocks who have an entire specialization dedicated to going melee that is further expanded later on for some extra spells that go with that combination.

But a melee wizard is definitely more feasible than, say... 3.5 or Pathfinder (without exploits)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: January 13, 2017, 10:43:14 pm »

WOTC ressurected a kit from the 2e Book of Elves called Bladesinger which is pretty cool if you're an elf.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: January 14, 2017, 07:04:56 am »

Mountain dwarves get medium armor proficiency from the get-go, that'd be pretty funny on a wizard.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: January 14, 2017, 09:32:32 am »

The bladesinger subclass in SCAG lets you become a melee combat while you can keep it up, but when it's down you;re as squishy as ever. A bit of multiclassing can help, but if you want straight wizard you're stuck with the squishiness.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: January 14, 2017, 09:44:11 am »

I suppose if you go with an elf you start with the elven weapon proficiency. You may not be able to take a hit, but at least you could shank someone.
Use a finesse weapon and pump dex to get some AC.

I don't remember - in 5e, is it just armour you're not proficient in that ruins your spellcasting, or is it all armour?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:13 am »

Just armour you aren't proficient in, so you can take mountain dwarf and get medium armour if you're willing to neglect dex.

But yeah, ultimately the spells and subclass in SCAG would be your friends here.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: January 14, 2017, 01:17:54 pm »

Oh, yeah, mountain dwarves.
So you could have medium armour and a battleaxe or summin' without needing to spend any feats on it. That isn't bad.

Just armour you aren't proficient in, so you can take mountain dwarf and get medium armour if you're willing to neglect dex.

But yeah, ultimately the spells and subclass in SCAG would be your friends here.
Is SCAG something free, or a splatbook?
Haven't actually heard of it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: January 14, 2017, 01:38:17 pm »

Is SCAG something free, or a splatbook?
Sword Coast's Adventurer Guide. It's a book. That said, some of the class options in that book also appeared in the Unearthed Arcanas, which are free.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 623