Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845579 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3225 on: January 28, 2017, 11:59:25 pm »

Started off the session fine, for the most part. Ran into an insane Ranger in the woods, who was cursed to view everyone as an Orc. We beat her unconscious and used a potion of Remove Curse on her. We then ran into a Will-o-the-Wisp who desperately wanted to destroy our lanterns, who we stuffed into a lantern and used to open a portal to a demi-plane relevant to the adventure.

Upon entering, we ran into a Giant that was ugly as sin that did not appreciate our presence. Also within were a bunch of primitive Fey that learned the power of the boomstick relatively quickly. They tried to ambush us in the surprise round but the shotgunner surprised them instead, and they just took off instead.

Though that also attracted the attention of some Lurkers in Light. The flighty bastards. So our Witch has been permanently blinded. We cannot undo this at the moment. We're kind of fucked now. She's the only one who can use Appraise, or identify magic items. And a number of other skills.

We also dealt with a tree that wanted to eat our Oradin, and a Hag. Damned Hag just turned invisible and harassed us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: January 29, 2017, 12:06:07 am »

Any chance of getting/crafting a magical eye prosthetic, a-la the wyrd sisters in greek myth?

Looking through the source you linked, a couple objects would fit the bill:

Robe of eyes
Veiled Eye

etc.

Sadly, it does not sound like you have the needed feats/mats to make one.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:15:41 am by wierd »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: January 29, 2017, 12:15:21 am »

We're in the middle of a swamp with the closest non-hostile area having been more or less destroyed in a siege. We have no crafting. We're only level five, so casting healing for ourselves isn't an option. We may be able to buy it from a friendly caster later. Much later, it looks like.

The writers didn't even leave a scroll of "Remove Blindness/Deafness" in the pile of loot we got at the end. Actually, most of the supposed loot we were sent to retrieve from the demiplane had long rotted away, aside from the magic stuff that we can't identify. Seems like we were sent on a fool's errand.

We actually have more gold than we are supposed to have at the moment, thanks to the DM throwing us a bone after the siege bullshit. Which is sad, as it is still below what our Wealth by Level is supposed to be, according to the Core book.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:21:14 am by BlackFlyme »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: January 29, 2017, 12:31:48 am »

clairvoyance (spell) might allow you to sidestep it somewhat if you hang around areas long enough to become familiar with the surroundings, and you can somehow obtain bits of horn, or glass eyes--- and if your witch is high enough level.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/clairaudience-clairvoyance

Given that you are seeing through the sensor, (and if your DM allows it), it would give your witch a 10ft sight radius wherever you place the sensor.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:33:28 am by wierd »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: January 29, 2017, 10:17:21 am »

Party finished all but the second floor of the basement in Death house as well as the Cult Leader's bedroom. They just got attacked by wall ghasts, and ended there.

I managed to use my laptop and my DM screen to create some terrible acoustics (at least it made the SFX louder)

Won't say much more because of spoilers for Curse of Strahd, but best part had to be a party member getting crit and dropping by a broom
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: January 29, 2017, 07:06:06 pm »

There are a bunch of rules for WW1 era Soviets in Pathfinder floating around. A bunch of firearms and other weaponry, as well as trench zombies and animate tanks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: February 04, 2017, 01:30:33 am »

Man I keep finding pen and paper RPG kickstarters that I'd love to jump in on

But HOLY GOODNESS is it nearly impossible to tell the quality of one without getting your eyes on it.

I seriously wish I had more money.

HECK I am looking at a kickstarter for a DM guide (sort of) that I am just pining for... but I know will probably be like most of the other ones with just essay after essay with no application.

Man I want to DM so bad I am practically clawing at my table... >_< NO Neonivek NO!!! Not after what happened to that CoC game! BAAAD!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:35:01 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: February 04, 2017, 02:23:01 am »

I had an idea for a universe some time ago.  I even made up some simple subject materials, dreamed up how the world works mechanically, how seasons work on it (because it is a VERY strange world), and a few other things.

I had no idea I could do kickstarter type things, I was going to make it for free, and just see if anyone wanted to try it out. I live in BFE, and dont have a local gaming group, so I have nobody to test it on/with.

Perhaps I will dedicate the effort to finish it, and the sample campaign.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: February 04, 2017, 08:44:33 am »

Gods, I managed to get two of my siblings to join me in playing a game of microlite, inwhich the first session resulted in us getting kicked out of one tavern, running out of town, sneaking into a second town and then looking for a healer to fix the totally preventable concussion of one of our party.

The second/third sessions(we are switching GMs every 4-5 hours, and just played about 6.5 hours) we where joined by one of our friends, spent a night in a rather... kinky swamp hut, got chased out of a forest(somehow managing to keep all of our gear thanks to a well-timed nat 20), traveled across a second swamp, traveled with a few shepherds, wound up in a little extremely straight-laced town where everyone's drunk and the church was burned down, where we picked up a pair of insane twins and their... excitable grandmother. Who my person met in jail, where she was in for urinating on the mayors house.

In any event, we have Germie the hobgoblin fighter(who wears no armor, calls themselves German potato salad and has a stuffed parrot who occasionally swears in a random language), Everett the rouge with no tools(Designated group mom and responsible one, controlled by me), Sir Poutieface (mediocre wizard man, and I think has a another name), and now Agatha Christie, the 10ft tall half-ork who wears next to nothing, identifies as an Apache helicopter, and is the reason why we now have three NPCs.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: February 04, 2017, 03:50:36 pm »

I find it weird that there is a growing trend of Pen and Paper RPGs with absolutely no character customization.

Preset character only RPGs... Sure you can change their name, gender, and appearance... but by large they are already made for you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: February 04, 2017, 04:52:09 pm »

character generation takes for freaking ever, and kids today are impatient.

that's why premade chars/classes are popular

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: February 04, 2017, 07:18:28 pm »

I had an idea for a universe some time ago.  I even made up some simple subject materials, dreamed up how the world works mechanically, how seasons work on it (because it is a VERY strange world), and a few other things.

I had no idea I could do kickstarter type things, I was going to make it for free, and just see if anyone wanted to try it out. I live in BFE, and dont have a local gaming group, so I have nobody to test it on/with.

Perhaps I will dedicate the effort to finish it, and the sample campaign.
As someone who cares about you simply as a fellow human being, I must advise you not to do a Kickstarter. They take an inordinate amount of effort to pull off, probably won't succeed unless you happen to have a huge social media presence, and, even if you do make your goal, you'll likely be left with burdensome financial obligations unless you plan very very carefully.

If you really want to publish something yourself, I would recommend looking into Print-On-Demand services first. I would most recommend OneBookShelf aka DriveThruRPG, RPGNow, Dungeon Masters Guild (a site Wizards of the Coast uses to sell PDFs of old, fan created, and Adventurers League material), and various others. As far as I can tell, RPGNow and DriveThruPRG have identical inventories, and DMSGuild just has Wizard's stuff, but it doesn't matter, since all digital material (like PDFs) are stored on a single account that works with all the sites from which already purchased material can be downloaded as much as the user likes (sort of like Steam or GoG).

It's probably worth looking into other options, though, and maybe diversifying your publishing options if you can, because not every customer is going to necessarily be looking in the same place. I once found a page that had a breakdown of various POD (or maybe it was PDFs?) publishers, and what percentage of royalties they would take, but can't find it anymore, so I'll try to help the best I can.

Lulu (was this the page I was thinking of?) isn't a specialized store like OneBookShelf, and isn't used as much for indie RPGs as it once was (probably since it doesn't even have a dedicated RPG category), but it's probably worth not discounting it entirely.

Then there's also Amazon, which is probably worth looking into just for the fact that it's huge and a place where many people go to buy things just in general, though that could end up drowning your product in obscurity. Regardless, it has some good self-publishing options in the form of Kindle and CreateSpace, the latter of which seems to have a good amount of printing options.

All of this is to say that, if you're looking to publish, Kickstarter should probably be your last option. It should really be looked at as more of a financing option for rather ambitious projects than the only way you can make something for sale.
I find it weird that there is a growing trend of Pen and Paper RPGs with absolutely no character customization.

Preset character only RPGs... Sure you can change their name, gender, and appearance... but by large they are already made for you.
Are you talking about Powered by the Apocalypse-type games? Because in those they are made that way to help convey the themes of the game (and yes, also make it easy for someone to pick up a character and play without having to use pre-mades).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: February 04, 2017, 07:28:18 pm »

character generation takes for freaking ever, and kids today are impatient.

that's why premade chars/classes are popular

Generating 3.5/pathfinder characters does take for fucking ever, though.

In 1st and second eddition, it was just roll stats, choose a race, choose a class, and buy some shit, maybe pick/roll a few spells.

In 3.5, roll stats, choose a race, pick a class, pick feats out of a big list of mostly crap, create the list of class skills, distribute skill points (and rouges have like infinite class skills and points), buy some shit (god forbid your above 1st level and get a WBL in the thousands, better traw the list of magic items), and pick a handful of spells maybe.

And the hours multiply because there's dozens of books and the good stuff is spread out among all of them.  My first character in 3.5 took at least an hour and a half to make, with DM guidance, and the fucker still died in like the first session.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: February 04, 2017, 07:38:04 pm »

And that's if you don't go whole-hog with splatbooks like my ground does...  not complaining, it just takes a long time to find the right exploits.

Though I wonder if these new systems are actually pigeonholing characters, or just leaving more up to the imagination?  Probably depends a lot on the specific system.  DND is arguably over-specific about what characters can actually do.  When there's some feat or skill-trick that lets you... random example, perch in a corner of the ceiling, it's harder to justify "My character tries that, what's the DC?".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 623