Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 849041 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3420 on: March 17, 2017, 10:06:30 am »

So uh....how much exactly does 5e cut out from character options ?

Skill ranks and prestige classes are gone, feats and multiclassing are optional features (mostly replacing them is a set of 2-3 archetypes per class in addition to supplemental materials), spells are mostly the same but less powerful since caster level isn't a thing anymore, attributes are now all-important instead of super important.

That is, if you're wondering in relation to 3.5. I couldn't possibly comment about 4E.

RazielReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: March 17, 2017, 12:43:25 pm »

Skill ranks and prestige classes are gone, feats and multiclassing are optional features (mostly replacing them is a set of 2-3 archetypes per class in addition to supplemental materials), spells are mostly the same but less powerful since caster level isn't a thing anymore, attributes are now all-important instead of super important.

That is, if you're wondering in relation to 3.5. I couldn't possibly comment about 4E.
and that's enough information for me to never touch 5th Edition ever.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: March 17, 2017, 12:45:52 pm »

and that's enough information for me to never touch 5th Edition ever.

Uh oh, an elitist.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: March 17, 2017, 12:47:19 pm »

It's an arite game. It's a lot more... 'flat' then 3.5. But that's not universally bad. I'd play different ones for different reasons with different people.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: March 17, 2017, 01:05:42 pm »

From the outset I want a few things clear, DO NOT engage in 'version X is better than version Y' discussion/argument, I will lock down the thread and report the parties responsible. (Even if it's me.)

I'll just leave this here in case this builds up.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: March 17, 2017, 04:12:48 pm »

Hey, 5E's perfectly all right and it does a few things a lot better than 3.5E. Like giants, for instance. Giants are Huge in 5E, it's great.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: March 17, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »

Some giants are Huge in 3.5, just... most are Large.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: March 17, 2017, 04:49:18 pm »

And that's just not good enough anymore.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: March 17, 2017, 05:13:16 pm »

Giants are Humanoid in Pathfinder. It's a little weird and open for abuse with Racial Heritage. Steal Giant only feats. Become a literal Troll in more ways than one.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: March 17, 2017, 08:03:05 pm »

Having come from solely 4e, the battles aren't as spectacular and are actually like 3.5 where battles are "glass cannons roll on their turn, big stupid fighter gets punched in the face, casters win and make the battle seem like the non-casters won". But everything else outside of combat is better (although gear is all over the place...).

Compared to pathfinder, it's better in the sense that classes aren't considered completely useless if you plan on for long term gameplay. A fighter is still pretty solid at higher levels, even though casters still become gods...

EDIT:

Also, 5e tried to make everyone seem like you can be like casters but only giving them access to the spells that you really need to be creative to use. For example, arcane trickster archetype rogues can cast illusion magic, but they only get the first four spell levels of the wizard list.

Only the barbarian has no possible way to have magic, and I think wizards may change that with some archetypes in the future
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:09:38 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: March 17, 2017, 08:09:04 pm »

Ultimately there is a LOT in 5th edition that they do right and many times better than Pathfinder. Such as character and monster balance (You can finally make monsters without HUUUUUGE guess work like you need in Pathfinder). Yet the very limited character creation and character advancement hurts the game.

Pathfinder I feel... really needs a version 2... a clean slate.

Then again I think they are planning on making a Pathfinder 2, just call it a hunch... what with them playtesting certain... alternatives.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: March 17, 2017, 08:30:27 pm »

Ultimately there is a LOT in 5th edition that they do right and many times better than Pathfinder. Such as character and monster balance (You can finally make monsters without HUUUUUGE guess work like you need in Pathfinder). Yet the very limited character creation and character advancement hurts the game.

Pathfinder I feel... really needs a version 2... a clean slate.

Then again I think they are planning on making a Pathfinder 2, just call it a hunch... what with them playtesting certain... alternatives.
Pathfinder is a clusterf*** of what happens when 3.5 elitists decide they can make a better 3.5 and then let other people throw their ideas into he mix. There really isn't much on balancing.

I think for 5e, PHB2 is coming out; they released like 2 or more (fighter and rogue has like 8) archetypes for each existing class and two new classes (mystic and artificer) for play testing. So far, it looks fantastic, although I'm not keen on the fact every class can now be divine based... Even the barbarian...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:17 pm »

although I'm not keen on the fact every class can now be divine based... Even the barbarian...

Ehh they are archtypes. I actually think it is a nice move personally, most classes already have a arcane archetype mixed in there and a lot of casters have a physical archtype.

Another thing 5e does well is it tries to keep the flow of gameplay going. Rests cuts the pauses in gameplay down significantly and takes the weight of healing off healers somewhat.

It also done away with Swarms being immune to everything and things being immune to the Rogue.

The Rogue is where I am the most impressed. The problem with the Rogue as I explained many times before is that the Rogue is both underpowered and overpowered at the same time.

Because EVERYTHING needs to be balanced towards the Rogue, absolutely everything is too powerful for anyone else. 5e? Nope! anyone can learn lockpicking and be good at it.

As well magic items feel a lot more special in 5e without being arbitrarily rare. They are significantly more powerful and potent.

---

In otherwords I kind of hope that when they go to an edition beyond dungeons and dragons 5e they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Because even if I accept that 5e is worse then 3.5 and pathfinder (which is fair). It is still a huge step forward for the series.

Even 4e made some good moves, some I wish made it to 5e... but they did get a lot of the good ones.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: March 17, 2017, 09:18:09 pm »

What would you guys say are the most important things a new DM should know/prepare before launching a campaign? Are there any important mechanical details that are easy to miss if you don't read the DM's guide front to back? If I'm planning a more story based campaign rather than a sandbox, what story beats should I have written out beforehand? Should I even plan that far ahead in the first place?

Sorry if I'm being a bit general, I have some time before all my players are able to get together and I want to make sure everyone has enough fun that they want to play again.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: March 17, 2017, 09:33:38 pm »

I thought about it.

The most important rule that new DMs typically overlook... in the DM book...

Rule Zero
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 623